More Fails than Successful Rips on BD...

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Myrtledog

More Fails than Successful Rips on BD...

Post by Myrtledog »

Just purchased MakeMKV today and seem to have more fails than successful BD rips...

Here's my error report:
MakeMKV v1.9.7 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01d" opened in OS access mode.
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Title #01000.mpls has length of 90 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #01001.mpls has length of 90 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00006.mpls was added as title #0
File 00100.mpls was added as title #1
Title #00005.mpls has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #01001.m2ts has length of 45 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00001.m2ts has length of 45 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #01007.m2ts has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #01008.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #01033.m2ts has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #01034.m2ts has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory /Users/imac/Movies/The_African_Queen
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/01010.m2ts' at offset '564658176'
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/01010.m2ts' at offset '564658176'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Users/imac/Movies/The_African_Queen/The_African_Queen_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Myrtledog

Re: More Fails than Successful Rips on BD...

Post by Myrtledog »

Well it just keeps on getting worse... I'm roughly only ripping about 40% of the BD and DVDs i've tried...

Here's the error report on the latest DVD i tried:
MakeMKV v1.9.7 darwin(x86-release) started
Optical drive "BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01d" opened in OS access mode.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01' at offset '1048576'
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (16 cell(s), 1:30:45)
Title #2 has length of 38 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #4 has length of 13 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Region setting of drive HL-DT-ST:BD-RE BE14NU40 does not match the region of currently inserted disc, trying to work around...
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory /Users/imac/Movies/WHALES_OF_AUGUST
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '1051459584'
Error 'OS error - (ipc/send) invalid destination port' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '1051459584'
Failed to save title 0 to file /Users/imac/Movies/WHALES_OF_AUGUST/title00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

External, USB-powered BD drive?

Make sure it has full power available to it. If it is not plugged into the computer itself, it needs to be plugged into a hub that has its own power supply.

Essentially, as the drive spins faster, it runs out of power, and momentarily shuts down. The computer gets confused. Sometimes the drive re-attaches when the speed drops, sometimes not.

You don't see it most of the time, because few applications are capable of reading a BD at full speed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Myrtledog

Post by Myrtledog »

It's a LG BE14UN40 external drive with its own electrical power supply so it shouldn't be underpowered...right?
Also has the USB connected directly into the iMac.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, with its own power supply it should be able to run at its rated speed and talk to the computer at the same time. It makes the error message more mysterious.

Searching for this error in Google gives results for many things, not many of which apply here.
Myrtledog

Post by Myrtledog »

I noticed that this drive employees something called "silent play technology" that supposedly controls disc read speed for optimal noise reduction.
Do you think this might be the culprit?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-14x-exte ... Id=6697151
Myrtledog

Post by Myrtledog »

Well I moved the usb plug from one slot to another and that seems to have fixed the errors. Odd since all the slots are 3.0...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Silent play is a branding for "slow the drive down to keep it quiet", which is usually the opposite of what causes disconnects.

Switching USB ports does at least one thing - it tell the operating system it is a "different device", so it reloads the configuration. It should NOT have affected this, but... Who knows?
Myrtledog

Post by Myrtledog »

I'm still having issues getting a good rip without errors. Is it possible it's because I'm on a iMac with el capitain?
Myrtledog

Post by Myrtledog »

Well I got rid of the LG drive I was using and picked up a Pioneer slot loader drive and haven't had a fail since...
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Myrtledog wrote:Well I got rid of the LG drive I was using and picked up a Pioneer slot loader drive and haven't had a fail since...

Ahhh - wide awake and ready to go!

I have never had a problem with any of my years of Pioneer Drives - LG OTOH, Nothing But Problems!