Improving a Shield for video play back.

Everything related to MakeMKV
ghost rider

Improving a Shield for video play back.

Post by ghost rider »

I'm pretty new or haven't used Makemkv much.

I recently bought all the Star wars movies in UHD. Something that was new to me they had lots of audio sync errors. My Oppo creates an audio drop out at the spot where all the edits were made.

I bought a shield a few years ago. I tried using it to play files and it works with no drop outs but the video is noticably duller than the oppo. The Atmos audio seems the same but the color is much warmer. I have decent but cheap hdmi cables all around so I don't think that is the reason. Maybe there is a way to tweak the Shield or the Kodi app I use to play the files.

If I can't improve it the oppo with the glitches is better.
dcoke22

Re: Improving a Shield for video play back.

Post by dcoke22 »

Did you rip Star Wars with 1.15.3 or the recently released 1.15.4 (https://makemkv.com/download/)? The .4 has improvements to the ripping of TrueHD audio. If you haven't tried a file ripped with 1.15.4, it might be worth re-ripping one and trying on your Oppo to see how it handles it.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Thanks I'll give it a try. For the record I rip to ISO keeping the protection in anydvd. Do I need to rip them all again or just reprocess them to movie only mkv? I'll try return of the Jedi it had like 8 sync errors.

Is there a better way to rip using makemkv? I'm interested to see if my copies of LOTR two towers will rip in 1.15.4
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have not used AnyDVD (I'm on a Mac) so I can't comment about the value of having an encrypted ISO. However, I do usually use MakeMKV to create a decrypted backup to a hard drive first. (I would create an encrypted backup in the rare case a key isn't yet available.)

I use the backup to create a MKV file. Doing it from fast storage means it typically only takes 2 or 3 minutes to create the MKV. I often end up creating it twice. The first one I uncheck the languages and subtitles I'm not interested in. I inspect the resulting output. I label commentary tracks and forced subtitles, etc. I then make a second 'final' MKV file to keep. In the case of movies with title obfuscation I'll keep the backup until I watch the movie and verify the rip, otherwise I usually delete the backup. In the case of things like a Pixar film with the typical 3 copies of the movie, I can examine the individual .m2ts files to figure out which one is English (since the *.m2ts filenames correspond to the segment map numbers).

In this case, if you had created a backup with MakeMKV with version 1.15.3, you could make a new MKV file with 1.15.4 and gain the benefits of the fixes and changes in 1.15.4. I don't know exactly how AnyDVD works, but presumably the ISO you made is just a representation of the bits on the disc in an alternative form. If that can be a source for MakeMKV to work from, I think you could just use 1.15.4 and make a new MKV file from your ISO.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

You may very well have been on to something. With 1.15.4 I was able to open the ISO I ripped earlier process the MKV of RotJ and had no specific errors but did say there are some sync errors. Here are the 2 screenshots.

I use anydvd because that's how I learned to do it. I started using makemkv just for the few UHD movies I was buying. I had all kinds of problems when I tried just processing the star wars saga off the disc using makemkv. It failed and I didn't know if it was due to a bad disc or not. I'm unable to watch all the movies in the short time that I can return for exchange at BB. So I figured if it will rip without errors in Anydvd I have a good disc if not I returned it. I bought all the individual movies not the saga and had no problem just returning the so called bad discs.

Interesting I also got the LOTR box set and two towers both theatrical and extended part 2 would not rip. I updated 1.15.4 and anydvd 8.5.0.4 beta and both appear to be ripping successfully knock on wood P2 is at 72% but it is ripping very slow at 5.92mbs was 20-30. If it works I don't care.
Attachments
rotj 154.png
rotj 154.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 10258 times
ROTJ mkv.png
ROTJ mkv.png (1.6 MiB) Viewed 10258 times
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

That does indeed look better. Hopefully it plays better on your player. I think that one remaining AV Sync message is a bug where that message is accidentally printed when the forced subtitle track was empty message prints.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23937&p=101406#p101390

I haven't seen Mike comment one way or the other, but Woodstock is usually well informed on these topics.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Looks like things are working better. Two towers movie only mkv worked fine and like the RotJ just had a single sync error message.

Not sure why the beta anydvd version caused it to rip so slowly makemkv is about the same 20min a film.

I'm going make new mkv files from both sagas using my ISO rips. I'm going to watch RotJ tonight hope it goes well.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:02 am
That does indeed look better. Hopefully it plays better on your player. I think that one remaining AV Sync message is a bug where that message is accidentally printed when the forced subtitle track was empty message prints.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23937&p=101406#p101390

I haven't seen Mike comment one way or the other, but Woodstock is usually well informed on these topics.
Thanks for posting the link. So I'm not alone. I'm still getting mostly the same audio drop outs. Based on Woodstock's comment I'm trying it again keeping all the english audio channels. I thing the silence is my AVP loosing it's sync on the Atmos audio.