Mandolorian Season 2 Disc 1 rip errors

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
logic

Re: Mandolorian Season 2 Disc 1 rip errors

Post by logic »

sephirothkefka wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:29 am
Where did you get your disc? It's def possible there was a bad batch in that case then.
Both came from Amazon: California, San Francisco bay area. Failing version was a pre-order from the original announcement, working version was the replacement order.

Now if only the second disc would open in makemkv. ;)
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

logic wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:23 am
sephirothkefka wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:29 am
Where did you get your disc? It's def possible there was a bad batch in that case then.
Both came from Amazon: California, San Francisco bay area. Failing version was a pre-order from the original announcement, working version was the replacement order.

Now if only the second disc would open in makemkv. ;)
That's the weird thing with mine. My initial Disc 2 worked but my replacement Disc 2 didn't decrypt. Both of my Season 2s came from the LGB7 Rialto, CA facility. My Season 1 however came from BFL1 In Bakersfield, CA.
Mistress Elemental

Post by Mistress Elemental »

My Disc 2 Ripped fine, I have not been able to confirm disc 1 yet since I am waiting for the key to be added. I too am in California, so it would be the NA version here. I looked over my discs, and they are pristine, and the same for the steelbooks, no dents or anything to show they ever had any risk of damage to them. I guess I will find out once the key is added, if it has not been already. (Have not checked in the last day or two)
htfancub

Post by htfancub »

Just did disk exchange at BB in Lake Forest, CA. My original was BB preorder that came last week. Exchange for in-store copy just worked for Disk 1 / Episode 2, so definitely seems like a bad batch was sent out of manuf.
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

I finally watched the Episode in full yesterday in my UB9000 just to see if there were any obvious errors I might have missed. Sure enough no errors. Guess MakeMKV is just really picky with the discs.
adambomber

Post by adambomber »

sephirothkefka wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:55 pm
I finally watched the Episode in full yesterday in my UB9000 just to see if there were any obvious errors I might have missed. Sure enough no errors. Guess MakeMKV is just really picky with the discs.
I *have* noticed an error in S2E2, which I've replicated with my copy from Amazon and its replacement. there's some weird visual distortion around the point Mando goes to sleep under the ice, right as Frog Lady tries to speak to him (before she uses the droid to do so).

I've tried posting screenshots on one of the blu-ray.com forums, but they never seem to post. I also reached out to Disney disc support, but I haven't heard back. Kinda at a loss on what to do now.
sephirothkefka

Post by sephirothkefka »

adambomber wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:39 pm
sephirothkefka wrote:
I *have* noticed an error in S2E2, which I've replicated with my copy from Amazon and its replacement. there's some weird visual distortion around the point Mando goes to sleep under the ice, right as Frog Lady tries to speak to him (before she uses the droid to do so).

I've tried posting screenshots on one of the blu-ray.com forums, but they never seem to post. I also reached out to Disney disc support, but I haven't heard back. Kinda at a loss on what to do now.
I still have my old set due to Amazon's rather generous return window. I could give them a view
DavJen

Post by DavJen »

adambomber wrote:
sephirothkefka wrote:

I also had to get a replacement from Amazon as my first copy of Season 2 Disc 1 wouldn't rip either. Luckily my replacement rips fine. I also watched s02e02 from the 18:00 minute mark until the frog lady speaks with Mando and didn't notice any visual distortion. If you could give me a timestamp I'd be happy to check again.
adambomber

Post by adambomber »

sephirothkefka wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:16 am
adambomber wrote:
sephirothkefka wrote:

I still have my old set due to Amazon's rather generous return window. I could give them a view
You're free to! Forgot to mention, but I don't think this is a hardware issue either, seeing as I tested it on both my Panasonic UB820 and my Pioneer 212 drive on my desktop. It's a few seconds after the 19 minute marker
dockingbay94

Post by dockingbay94 »

I have the same problem with original pre-order and now with replacement, both from Amazon. Tried 3 different drives on two different systems (Mac and Windows). Definitely appears to be a disc issue.
adambomber

Post by adambomber »

DavJen wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:59 pm
adambomber wrote:
sephirothkefka wrote:

I also had to get a replacement from Amazon as my first copy of Season 2 Disc 1 wouldn't rip either. Luckily my replacement rips fine. I also watched s02e02 from the 18:00 minute mark until the frog lady speaks with Mando and didn't notice any visual distortion. If you could give me a timestamp I'd be happy to check again.
For me, it was around the 19:02 timestamp, but also I'm using the streaming version as my reference for that, so it may be slightly different on-disc. I saved a screenshot of the defective image somewhere, but I don't know if/how I can send that on this forum.
SamwiseBambi

Post by SamwiseBambi »

Thanks so much for this topic - I thought I was going crazy! Both my preorder and replacement Amazon disks were freezing at that same exact spot in episode 2 with the timeout error on my Asus drive - it looks like as a workaround copying the disc contents onto my computer and then opening the index.bdmv with MakeMKV worked for me with just a hash error that MakeMKV's able to work around at that spot! And it looks like I get that same visual artifact, almost like macroblocking, around the 19 minute mark too - thanks so much again for all this!
rsaotome

Post by rsaotome »

Having the exact same problem, was about to start pulling my hair out.

Purchased: Walmart.com, 2nd copy from Amazon, both have the same problem, at the same spot.
Drive ASUS-BW 16D1HT 3.10
Disc: THE_MANDALORIAN_S2_D1

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00672.m2ts' at offset '10375329792'

Tried playing on a Panasonic UHD Player, screen garbles around 19:03 mark of 2nd episode.
Last edited by rsaotome on Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

This is why I used imgburn to make a protected iso. I got 4 retries in that section of the disc but was eventually able to get a good read. Just enable libredrive before making the iso with imgburn and hope it can retry through that part of the disc.

P.S. that is with my pioneer drives. I had to try it in both before it would work.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

adambomber

Post by adambomber »

rsaotome wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:37 am
Having the exact same problem, was about to start pulling my hair out.

Purchased: Walmart.com, 2nd copy from Amazon, both have the same problem, at the same spot.
Drive ASUS-BW 16D1HT 3.10
Disc: THE_MANDALORIAN_S2_D1

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00672.m2ts' at offset '10375329792'

Tried playing on a Panasonic UHD Player, screen garbles around 19:03 mark of 2nd episode.
Ended up trying my luck and bought another copy from a Best Buy a town down from me. Ended up resolving the issue entirely. Maybe Best Buy has non-defective copies?