Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

I dont know but all LG OLED TVs have raised black in DV, even in TV-LED.
And all the players I tested LLDV had raised black without a 0 min pq edid
dapope

Post by dapope »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:34 am
I dont know but all LG OLED TVs have raised black in DV, even in TV-LED.
And all the players I tested LLDV had raised black without a 0 min pq edid
Have you ever tested a CX? I know it had an obvious problem with raised blacks in DV, but it was patched sometime in the year after launch. I own one and definitely noticed the improvement.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I doubt it. Was raised on my C8, and it's still raised on my C2.
C8 was worse though and the white balance trick didn't work on my end.
ans40

Post by ans40 »

Similar to how it's important to sync web DV frames to match a bluray BL, are there tools to do the same thing to build an HDR10+ hybrid? I don't see any mention of it in hdr10plus_tool.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:08 pm
I doubt it. Was raised on my C8, and it's still raised on my C2.
C8 was worse though and the white balance trick didn't work on my end.
How are you defining raised blacks?
I've had to use a 10x jeweler's loupe to see the first couple steps immediately above black (on a C9 and A95K - I'm not as critical of my C8 or C2 because of how I use them)... are you using a high-end colorimeter to measure certain stimulus levels?
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

sw5163 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:34 am
Hi RESET, I still notice raised black level when using Microsoft Hardware Video Decoder in the Energy player.
I think I find out what's going on here. My theory is Win11 expects us to play everything under HGiG mode, gaming, streaming, playing local files. It wants us to disable tone mapping on display and never touch it again, then Win11 will provide tone mapping based on the EDID luminance. Win11 wants this as the case for Movies & TV player and other HDR games. Dolby Vision Extensions provides another tone mapping algorithm but MSFT still expects us to use it under HGiG on non-dv capable display (like Samsung).
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issue ... 1110110976
There is also the more general problem that OSes can't blindly pass these calls through in general, because multiple applications could be running at the same time with different requirements (e.g. standard SDR apps vs a HDR video player) and the OS has to do its best to keep everyone happy. For example I noticed that with VLC and madVR, in general the metadata is only transmitted if the player is full screen. Which can lead to other potential problems e.g. the OS/driver not treating some app as full screen even though it is, and dropping its HDR metadata.
I didn't think the black level problem was related to EDID min luminance because I use the Windows HDR Calibration app and set the black level to left most and still seeing the raised black level. However, I was wrong. Current build 1.0.152.0 of that app has a bug that even when slide black bar to 0.0000, the configuration file it generates would still have 0.01 EDID min luminance, causing raised black. I verified it using DisplayHDR Test app.

Then I checked the default EDID on Samsung S95Z by connecting it to my PC and use CRU, S95Z is a Chinese variants of S95C. Strangely it reports only 4 bytes in the HDR Static Metadata session, without Max/Min luminance. (I don't know if there's better way to check this). I verified it again using DisplayHDR Test app, which tells me the Max luminance of 1499nits and Min luminance of 0.01nits were OS-provided defaults, not provided by display. Probably LG is the same case.

Therefore, I changed the Max luminance to 1350nits and Min luminance to 0nits in CRU. And now it has perfect black in Movies & TV app, both in HDR10 content and DV content. This could also be the reason people reporting Movies & TV was inaccurate, because double tone mapping by Microsoft Hardware Video Decoder and TV.

If I'm right, it looks like if I want to play video correctly in Movies & TV, I need to either set EDID to 10000nits and let my TV to do the tone mapping. Or disable tone mapping on TV and set EDID to 0-1350nits and let windows do the tone mapping. Since Dolby Vision Extensions is unlikely to work in the former circumstance and I will be also gaming on that TV, I think I'm going to stick to latter.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

speeddemon wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:37 am
I've had to use a 10x jeweler's loupe to see the first couple steps immediately above black (on a C9 and A95K - I'm not as critical of my C8 or C2 because of how I use them)... are you using a high-end colorimeter to measure certain stimulus levels?
seeing steps? I'm not talking about black crush issues and AFAIK, there's only a black crush problem with HDMI source when the RPU mastering display is 10k nits(Shield is fine if I remember correctly).
How are you defining raised blacks?
You can use this pure black test file (no flashing bars), there's a slight glow in DV. There's no need to measure anything, it is quite obvious and many people reported it, it's very well known.
You have to check in complete darkness though. And let your eyes adapt a couple minutes to the dark.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EoqK5- ... drive_link
sw5163 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:25 am
I think I find out what's going on here.
Yep, LLDV is useless without a custom or original edid with min target 0 and I bet its the same reason why all LG TVs has raised black since their internal config file is not 0.
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:44 am
Yep, LLDV is useless without a custom or original edid with min target 0 and I bet its the same reason why all LG TVs has raised black since their internal config file is not 0.
Is that normal both my Oled G8 and S95Z don't provide Max/Min luminance in the EDID HDR Static Metadata session?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

no idea
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

sw5163 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:25 am
If I'm right, it looks like if I want to play video correctly in Movies & TV, I need to either set EDID to 10000nits and let my TV to do the tone mapping. Or disable tone mapping on TV and set EDID to 0-1350nits and let windows do the tone mapping. Since Dolby Vision Extensions is unlikely to work in the former circumstance and I will be also gaming on that TV, I think I'm going to stick to latter.
Is there a way to disable tone mapping in Movies & TV app or energy player with MSFT HW video decoder, and pass through HDR10 metadata? Or do I have to use MPV for passing through HDR10 and switch to MSFT HW video decoder for tone mapping DV content?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

sw5163 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:57 pm
Is there a way to disable tone mapping in Movies & TV app or energy player with MSFT HW video decoder, and pass through HDR10 metadata? Or do I have to use MPV for passing through HDR10 and switch to MSFT HW video decoder for tone mapping DV content?
no i think the OS HDR always sends incorrect static HDR10 metadata.
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:18 pm
ok thanks, at this point I think I'm giving up on playing movies on PC.
ultrahorst

Post by ultrahorst »

Just a heads up in case you haven't heard:
Our old and well hated friend the UGOOS AM6+ rises from the dead.

With the latest CoreELEC 20.3 Nexus version, it finally supports proper Dolby Vision FEL decoding with HD audio passthrough. I just installed it on my device (I have the AM6b+), configured audio passthrough, installed Plex Mod 4 Kodi and it just played every MKV Remux with Dolby Vision I tried. No Issues with pausing or skipping.

Source and how-to: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ ... _team_has/
Beware: My device did not boot from the SD card right away, I had to press the "recovery" button on the bottom of the device before powering it on. Then it booted fine - following start directly booted to CoreELEC, no need to press the recovery button again.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

sw5163 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:38 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:18 pm
ok thanks, at this point I think I'm giving up on playing movies on PC.
You could always just migrate over to a madVR setup if you prefer to use a PC.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

ultrahorst wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:51 pm
Just a heads up in case you haven't heard:
Our old and well hated friend the UGOOS AM6+ rises from the dead.

With the latest CoreELEC 20.3 Nexus version, it finally supports proper Dolby Vision FEL decoding with HD audio passthrough. I just installed it on my device (I have the AM6b+), configured audio passthrough, installed Plex Mod 4 Kodi and it just played every MKV Remux with Dolby Vision I tried. No Issues with pausing or skipping.

Source and how-to: https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/ ... _team_has/
Beware: My device did not boot from the SD card right away, I had to press the "recovery" button on the bottom of the device before powering it on. Then it booted fine - following start directly booted to CoreELEC, no need to press the recovery button again.
It still has the following issues, though:
1. Fake TV-led.
2. Natively CMv2.9 so doesn't support Chroma Weight trim without True TV-led.
3. "totally broken in LLDV when the edid is higher than the RPU mastering display".
4. I'm guessing likely inaccurate luminance levels while in LLDV mode (but I don't believe someone has tested this on the AM6b+).