Planet Earth Blu Ray

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
eternalxtime

Planet Earth Blu Ray

Post by eternalxtime »

Hi,

I'm trying to rip the entire Planet Earth series into MKV. I have successfully finished the first 4 discs. However, the final disc (this is the UK version with David Attenborough narrating) featuring the desert lions and snow leopards is causing me trouble. There doesn't seem to be any error reported by the program and the file size are normal; however, VLC does not display any video. There is not even a black screen; it is just the cone icon of VLC.

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
reebok

Re: Planet Earth Blu Ray

Post by reebok »

I know I had a similar issue with Human Planet being in "interlaced vc1" format, which virtually nothing plays correctly. windows media player is about the only one. Not sure if those other discs weren't interlaced vc1 and this one is, or if it's something else entirely.
seantnichols

Post by seantnichols »

It is in fact related to Interlaced VC-1, and if you read the packaging it will say that they are all 1080p except for Plants, which is 1080i. Interlaced VC-1 is a nasty thing to. It is licensed and owned by Microsoft so the only software player that can handle it is Windows Media Player. There is hope however! You can use any encoding software that leverages WMP as a decoder (RipBot264). Pass this file through and encode session and you'll end up with a 1080p file that anything can play. It's not pure, and that bothers most like myself, but it works.

Hope this info helps.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

The episodes are called "Deserts" and "Ice Worlds", and I also have the David Att version. On the back of the box it says 1080i, 16:9, 4 x Blu-ray 25 disks.

I just ripped the complete series and has no issues at all... my player is an LG LiteOn.

Just in case this helps... most of the discs have individual 7Gb-sized episodes.. but some of them also have a combined 14Gb or 24Gb compilation of back to back episodes. I actually ripped each episode as a 7Gb individual .MKV.
reebok

Post by reebok »

ripping it is not a problem. playback is.
JasonX

Post by JasonX »

I didn't have any issues watching any of the episodes, including the above, using VLC v1.1.10 on Win7-64bit.