version 1.7.0 crashes upon ejecting a disc

Everything related to MakeMKV
joe42

version 1.7.0 crashes upon ejecting a disc

Post by joe42 »

Since I upgraded to version 1.7.0, I have been getting a lot of crashes when I eject a disc. After ripping has completed successfully ("1 titles saved") and I click OK, then I manually eject the disc from the drive (by pressing the button on the drive itself), MakeMKV pops up a dialog with "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit. [OK]".

This never happened on the previous version of MakeMKV, so it is surely a regression introduced in 1.7.0.

Possibly relevant is that I have two blu-ray drives and I have always been running two copies of MakeMKV, ripping simultaneously, when the crash occurred. The second instance of MakeMKV continues ripping without issue when the first instance crashes. Then the second instance finishes ripping and when I eject the disk, it crashes as well.

This is on an x64 Windows 7 machine.
Woodstock

Re: version 1.7.0 crashes upon ejecting a disc

Post by Woodstock »

"Crash" as in... you get an error message, or the GUI just stops responding?

I've had problems with MakeMKV's GUI losing control over the CLI portion after a rip; the CLI simply continues to try to read the disk, even though it's completed its work, and the only way to get it back is to have the task manager kill the process tree (GUI and CLI portions), then restart MakeMKV for the next disk.

It doesn't happen all the time, but fairly often, and it's been doing it pretty much since the 1.6.x series came out.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BrionS

version 1.7.0 fatal error on eject and starts leaking memory

Post by BrionS »

I have the same problem but it's worse than just the GUI closing/crashing. Once I click 'OK' the makemkv process begins to eat up all my available RAM and SWAP space to the point where my whole system becomes unresponsive if I don't kill it via command line quickly (before swap is used up).

Strangely this only happens after I press 'OK' upon receiving this fatal error dialog. Most of the time MakeMKV only uses 50% of my available RAM (2GB used, 4GB total). If I eject the disc through any other means it has no problem, only if I use the eject button in MakeMKV.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you troubleshoot this bug.

This is the Linux version compiled on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit running Gnome 3 (gnome-shell).

Update: This only seems to happen in expert mode. If I turn off expert mode then it doesn't crash. However, expert mode is desired so I can enter the name of the destination file instead of renaming titleXX.mkv after ripping.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

joe42 wrote:Since I upgraded to version 1.7.0, I have been getting a lot of crashes when I eject a disc. After ripping has completed successfully ("1 titles saved") and I click OK, then I manually eject the disc from the drive (by pressing the button on the drive itself), MakeMKV pops up a dialog with "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit. [OK]".
A little more information on this crash. With version 1.7.0, the crash occurs almost every time that I eject a disc with one instance of MakeMKV while another instance is ripping.

Also, it is not necessary to eject the disc at all to cause the crash. If I just close the file (File / Close) rather than soft- or hard-eject, it produces the same behavior -- a crash.

By crash, I mean that the instance of MakeMKV that finished ripping freezes and puts up the dialog box about fatal error, and then exits after I click [OK]. The other instance of MakeMKV keeps running (until it finishes and also crashes upon close or eject).
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Do you see anything at all in the debug log for "crashed" MakeMKV? What kind of source did you use - BD or DVD and from disc or from harddrive?
joe42

Post by joe42 »

mike admin wrote:Do you see anything at all in the debug log for "crashed" MakeMKV? What kind of source did you use - BD or DVD and from disc or from harddrive?
No, there was nothing in the log. It happens with every source I have tried, BD or DVD.
zmarty

Post by zmarty »

Sigh.. same here. And now after one of these crashes MakeMKV does not recognize the drive at all, even after reboot.
joe42

Post by joe42 »

zmarty wrote:Sigh.. same here. And now after one of these crashes MakeMKV does not recognize the drive at all, even after reboot.
That sounds like a different problem if MakeMKV cannot recognize the drive after a reboot. I would start by checking (i.e., reseating) the cables: power and data on both ends.

The problem I am seeing is completely repeatable, but it does not stop me from using MakeMKV. I just need to kill the makemkvcon64.exe process and then start MakeMKV again. So extremely annoying, and I would think Mike should be able to track the problem down quickly since it is repeatable and all he has to do is look at the changes introduced between version 1.7.0 and the last version, since this problem does not occur with the previous version(s).
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

joe42 wrote:I just need to kill the makemkvcon64.exe process
So, the makemkvcon64.exe is there after the crash? Can you please make a debug dump from a task manager for makemkvcon64 before killing it? Right-click in task manager and select "Create dump file" per instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/dump.html
joe42

Post by joe42 »

Update on this crash. It is the Windows makemkv.exe GUI application that is crashing, not makemkvcon64.

Also, the crash occurs when I have the mouse text edit cursor in the text box for setting the filename of the output MKV file at the time that I eject the disk. I mean the new "expert mode" text box that is used to set the filename, NOT the old directory pathname box for setting the folder to save to.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Bug confirmed, will be fixed in the next version. As a workaround for now, make sure you press to "revert" button, on the right from property editor text box, before closing the disk.
BrionS

Post by BrionS »

mike admin wrote:Bug confirmed, will be fixed in the next version. As a workaround for now, make sure you press to "revert" button, on the right from property editor text box, before closing the disk.
Are you saying the bug that causes the crash is due to changing the name of the file, or any metadata? Have you been able to confirm this is also broken in the Linux version as my behavior seems to be exactly the same as Joe's?

Thanks!