Problem backing up certain 20th Century Fox Blu-ray discs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Jordan Orlando

Problem backing up certain 20th Century Fox Blu-ray discs

Post by Jordan Orlando »

Two 20th Century Fox Blu-ray discs (The French Connection, The Silence of the Lambs) have presented the following problem:

I can play the actual, original discs on my Sony BDP-S370 player with no problem at all.

When I use MakeMKV for Mac OS X (in conjunction with Toast 11 Titanium) to make a decrypted 50GB backup, the disc won't play, beyond showing me a red still frame with yellow type reading:

"WARNING Your Blu-ray Player requires an update in order to play this disc, Please visit your Blu-ray Player manufacturer's website and follow their instructions to update your Blu-ray player." (There is additional URL information and legal-disclaimer text.)

My procedure has worked flawlessly in reproducing dozens of movie Blu-rays, including many from 20th Century Fox.

Can anyone help me solve this? Thanks in advance for any help or information.
BlackDragon24

Re: Problem backing up certain 20th Century Fox Blu-ray disc

Post by BlackDragon24 »

Jordan Orlando wrote:Two 20th Century Fox Blu-ray discs (The French Connection, The Silence of the Lambs) have presented the following problem:

I can play the actual, original discs on my Sony BDP-S370 player with no problem at all.

When I use MakeMKV for Mac OS X (in conjunction with Toast 11 Titanium) to make a decrypted 50GB backup, the disc won't play, beyond showing me a red still frame with yellow type reading:

"WARNING Your Blu-ray Player requires an update in order to play this disc, Please visit your Blu-ray Player manufacturer's website and follow their instructions to update your Blu-ray player." (There is additional URL information and legal-disclaimer text.)

My procedure has worked flawlessly in reproducing dozens of movie Blu-rays, including many from 20th Century Fox.

Can anyone help me solve this? Thanks in advance for any help or information.
Perhaps a firmware update for the blu-ray player?

Otherwise I am at a loss. I backed up Silnce of the Lambs months ago with no problems. Using Win 7 Ultimate.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Jordan Orlando

Hi!

Read the following thread, starting with my first post to it (Post #96 or 97):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1466860

chronologic

Post by chronologic »

I'm currently having the exact same issue on Mac OSX! Is there a simple solution for this on the Mac? Did you guys try other mac apps to make a full working backup?

@setarip_old I've tried to read your entire discussion, but it's a bit complicated for me. Is the only workaround to make a single movie backup with MKV?
chronologic

Post by chronologic »

*bump* anyone?
bw001

Post by bw001 »

Based on the thread referred to, I would guess that you need to use AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey (trial version?) to decrypt the disc for a full disc backup to avoid this screen.
chronologic

Post by chronologic »

So, there are no options on the mac?
chronologic

Post by chronologic »

Wish somebody could help me out to solve this issue on the MAC. I'm really struggling with this issue.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@chronologic
So, there are no options on the mac?
Our friends at DVDFab now offer their products for use with MACs (as well as for PCs).

I believe you'll discover that both DVDFab and Passkey address the "BD+" situation...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

chronologic wrote:Wish somebody could help me out to solve this issue on the MAC. I'm really struggling with this issue.
As it was mentioned before, MakeMKV is not a tool to make an ISO backup of blu-ray disc. However, may I ask why do you insist on a full disc backup? There are numerous ways to make a backup with MakeMKV that would be playable with any blu-ray player (even without burning to BD-R), but you'll loose the main menu and mandatory piracy warnings. So, why do you need to make an exact disc backup in a first place? With menus, unskipable trailers and FBI warnings?

p.s. The discussion of competing products is not unwelcome on this forum per se. However it would be nice not to give "just use program XYZ if you have problem with MakeMKV" as a default answer without getting to the source of the problem.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@mike admin
why do you insist on a full disc backup? There are numerous ways to make a backup with MakeMKV that would be playable with any blu-ray player (even without burning to BD-R), but you'll loose the main menu and mandatory piracy warnings. So, why do you need to make an exact disc backup in a first place? With menus, unskipable trailers and FBI warnings?

1) Because MANY Blu-ray discs contain interesting, larger and more "Extras" than were available on DVDs

2) Access to both "Main Menus" and "Popup Menus" both at the outset and from any place within the playing movie is quite useful - and is also beneficial for teaching new users of Blu-rays how to properly navigate Blu-ray discs...

3) "Full disc backup" does NOT require determining which .MPLS file (out of perhaps 100 or more .MPLS files) is the correct one for making a "movie-only" backup (The .MPLS files for "Source Code" are just one such wonderful example...)
chronologic

Post by chronologic »

@mike admin

I coudn't agree more with @setarip_old (regarding popup menus, navigation, extras, etc)...

And I also believe that the original menus are an important part of the home video experience in general. Some companies invest so much in them so you can easily have access to all the content and extras at your fingertip. In a way that is interesting visually and different for every film! I will always prefer beautifully designed menus to 25 nameless/numbered mkv files on a data disc, wether it be a hard drive or a BD-R disc.

I really believe that full disc backups are the way to go. At least for me. MakeMKV is the best tool to do so on the mac at the moment, but it cannot cope with BD+ protections from FOX. This is a real problem for me.
gumnaam

Post by gumnaam »

*bump*

This continues to be a problem with MakeMKV and 20th Century Fox backups.

I agree with other posters that BD backup is the main, most important mode of MakeMKV. I only create .mkv files when I encounter this problem.

According to this thread, the solution looks like fixing two bytes in the "BDJO" file.

May we please get a fix in MakeMKV?
gumnaam

Post by gumnaam »

*bump*

This is still a problem for v.1.9.1.

One workaround on the computer is to play the .m2ts stream from the directory ./BDMV/STREAMS [Right-click> Show Package Contents], or copy this stream to another blu-ray disk.

It would be best if MakeMKV fixed this two-byte issue in a future upgrade.
telicha

Re: Problem backing up certain 20th Century Fox Blu-ray discs

Post by telicha »

Apparently this problem has never been fixed, but not sure ... I am on a MAC so I got limited options for video tools. I got the Alien Anthology - really beautifully mastered Blu-rays with all the scary Alien movies. MakeMKV zipped thru them and produced a seemly good backup copy, and the individual .m2ts files seem to be properly decrypted. However, trying to play the backup with Blu-ray Player Pro gives me the " red screen of death"
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 4.57.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 4.57.36 PM.png (121.65 KiB) Viewed 16480 times

but if actually stick the blu-ray in the drive, Blu-ray Player Pro works fine - though it briefly shows the same (?) message above with a black background and white letters for a second or so, and moves on to show all the pretty menus. Seems that they have a mechanism to detect if I disk has been decrypted it becomes impossible to play it thru the menus.

Someone posted that the issue can be resolved by switching a couple of bytes on some .bdjo files - apparently that's how DVDFab works around the issue... I've looked into the issue and started to understand the structure of the .bdjo files -- all the terminfo, cacheinfo, playlists, tables and how to process them, but I needed one example of the byte change to understand what is the idea behind it, and if I am not able to create an algorithm to fix this problem, at least something that could try to test some manual edition of my files. Can anyone help me with one example that worked? Just the original .bdjo file and the modified, a few kilobytes .. I really don't want to deal with DVDFab - I tried, and that seller is unbelievably irritating ... the interface is poorly designed, feels like malware, and every 3 seconds it opens a web page demanding you to buy the stupid product.

Thanks for any help!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 4.57.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 4.57.36 PM.png (121.65 KiB) Viewed 16480 times