PLEASE PLEASE Add TrueHD ripping for Blu-Rays

Everything related to MakeMKV
seattleguy

PLEASE PLEASE Add TrueHD ripping for Blu-Rays

Post by seattleguy »

I'm just starting my HTPC collection, and I really need to rip my Blu-Rays with TrueHD. I would hate to rip them all, and then have to rip them all again once you add in lossless audio ripping for Blu-Rays. Can you please give me a REALISTIC idea of when this is coming, so I can know if I should wait and not rip now. The new graphics cards are supporting bitstreaming out TrueHD and DTS HD MA, so it's time for makeMKV to support this.
mike admin

Re: PLEASE PLEASE Add TrueHD ripping for Blu-Rays

Post by mike admin »

As usual therer are always various IFs and I'm not in the position to give exact dates. However it is fairly safe to say that in next couple months MakeMKV would be able to extract TrueHD tracks and put them either as LPCM or FLAC into MKV. The support for "native TrueHD" in MKV container is practically non-existing.
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Would you be kind enough to keep us updated on this Mike. I have a few hundred DVD's to be getting on with but it would be great to have FLAC support for when I get onto the few BD's I have.

Also, any idea when this will be a finished product?

Thanks
xchema

Post by xchema »

It's great to know that flac support is planed for later versions (you have one future buyer here :D ) but, do you think it would be possible to convert dts-ma to flac too?
ixion

Post by ixion »

mike admin wrote:As usual therer are always various IFs and I'm not in the position to give exact dates. However it is fairly safe to say that in next couple months MakeMKV would be able to extract TrueHD tracks and put them either as LPCM or FLAC into MKV. The support for "native TrueHD" in MKV container is practically non-existing.
Mike, what we really need is just to extract the native TrueHD or DTS-MA, no need to convert to LPCM or FLAC. There has been GREATLY improved support in the past month. FFDShow can now bitstream these formats natively via a Radeon HD 5000 series card, and together with MPC-HC, it makes for an awesome combo. Haali splitter will be supporting TrueHD / DTS-MA very very soon, so it will be mainstream within a month. See this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 34&page=74

Now all we need is a one click tool like MakeMKV that will support extracting the HD audio formats into MKV. I will gladly pay a reasonable price for this tool.