Rip bluray to HD with TrueHD or MTS

Everything related to MakeMKV
dptbones

Rip bluray to HD with TrueHD or MTS

Post by dptbones »

I am starting the process of learing how to make a media server. I would like to rip all my bluray disc to hard drives but I want the highest possible quality. I am building a home theater and will have a large screen with high quality sound system so I don't want to compress anything. I only want the movie, no subs, no extras, don't care about chapters. I understand the MKV container does not support TrueHD or DTS-MA. I also understand there are several specs my equipment must have to play the HD soundtrack. My goal is to be able to search my movies for what I want to play and then have it play. At this point I'm just experimenting around with my movies. Could someone help me to get started. I think I understand some as I have been reading several forums for the past few weeks. Again I just want to extract the movie, AC-3 sound and the high def soundtrack to my hard drive.
Thanks
David
mike admin

Re: Rip bluray to HD with TrueHD or MTS

Post by mike admin »

Well, Matroska is rapidly evolving an does in fact support TrueHD and DTS-MA for some time. The next version of MakeMKV (1.4.10) will support both TrueHD and DTS HD (MA) streams in mkv container. You can send them to your audio system for decoding with latest ffdshow, haali splitter and right hardware.
colimo.esteria

Post by colimo.esteria »

Do we know the release schedule for 1.4.10 yet ?
ixion

Post by ixion »

That's great news!! I can't wait for 1.4.10. I have the Radeon 5750, the new FFDshow and can bitstream TrueHD or DTS-MA to my receiver. Now all I need is MakeMKV to support the HD audio.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

The wait is over :)
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Does it copy it as is or convert to FLAC?

Any idea yet when this will come out of Beta and any ideas on price?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It currently copies as is, no conversion.
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Super!

As Haali doesn't recognise the HD tracks, what splitters are people using?
ragboy

Post by ragboy »

I love MakeMKV, and want to use it more, but I have been backing up my movies to 1080P mp4s and I want to use the highest possible quality for audio. So I use eac3to and the arcsoft dts decoder along with the free neroaac encoder to produce high quality VBR 5.1 aac soundtracks from DTS HD master, and DD True HD. The sound is amazing, and it all works streaming to my new ps3, replacing my apple tvs.

I was very excited to see the new 1.4.10 release, allowing the mkvs to be made with the full res audio tracks. However, the tracks from makemkv are not working. When encoded, they have gaps, and produce many errors, here is an example:

Code: Select all

Decoding with ArcSoft DTS Decoder...                                           
Find sync word: 7ffe8001
Find sync extension: 3f
Decoded audio will be stored in the following files:
	file_L_R.wav for front left channel and front right channel
	file_C_LFE1.wav for center channel and LFE channel
	file_Ls_Rs.wav for srrd left channel and srrd right channel
Encoding AAC <0.90> with NeroAacEnc...                                         
This track is not clean.
However, when I use the same command, but instead run it against a anydvd create bdmv structure, I get no errors, and beautiful audio. If you want samples or need any other help testing, let me know. I have ripped several BDs to VBR AAC 5.1 from DTS HD and DD True HD tracks without issue using eac3to and anydvd, so I have a lot to compare against.
thymej

Post by thymej »

Same issue here too. I used MakeMKV with the HarryPotter 6 blu-ray and selected the trueHD and the english ac3. After it was completed, the TrueHD track was very choppy, the AC3 track was okay. Using AnyDVD and eac3to/mkvmerge 3.0.0 to create the same MKV file worked OK with TrueHD. The mkvmerge file worked without problems.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is confirmed. 1.4.10 puts HD-audio into MKV in a wrong way. most software fails on it although the data stream itself is not corrupted. 1.4.11 is on its way and will correct this error.
hitekakex

Post by hitekakex »

I haven't tried 1.4.10 yet, but hopefully it still support extraction of AC3/DTS cores (in the way 1.4.9 does).. I convert my MKV's to M4V/Apple TV, and TrueHD/MTS are useless for me.

Can someone confirm.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

hitekakex wrote:I haven't tried 1.4.10 yet, but hopefully it still support extraction of AC3/DTS cores (in the way 1.4.9 does).. I convert my MKV's to M4V/Apple TV, and TrueHD/MTS are useless for me.
Can someone confirm.
yes it does.
ragboy

Post by ragboy »

mike admin wrote:This is confirmed. 1.4.10 puts HD-audio into MKV in a wrong way. most software fails on it although the data stream itself is not corrupted. 1.4.11 is on its way and will correct this error.
1.4.11 seems to have fixed the problem. Have only tried one title, but will try a couple others.
cave35

Post by cave35 »

Hi,

Nice tool and I used it for the first time yesterday. There is a problem that I am not sure if it is the player's or this tool's. The player is Popcorn Hour A-110 and it connects to my audio receiver via HDMI. My receiver displays the format of the incoming audio. With this mkv, the receiver indicates it is DTS, not DTS-MA as I expected. When I look at the video information on popcorn, it indicates the bit rate for the audio is over 4 Mbps, which to me is normal for DTS-MA. I have other clips with DTS-MA in m2ts containers and popcorn can play and my receiver will show the DTS-MA indicator as expected. Does anyone know if it is this tool that couldn't merge the DTS-MA track properly or if Popcorn can't handle DTS-MA in a mkv container?