Failed to save title to file revisited

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
PeacePipe

Failed to save title to file revisited

Post by PeacePipe »

First failure of any kind I've ever experienced. (Using MakeMKV for 2-3 years.)

Failed to save "A Chinese Ghost Story 2". Standard DVD (Megastar Video Distribution (HK) LTD". Everything runs as normal, but at the end of the "Make MKV" event popup error report says: "Copy complete, 0 files saved, 1 failed".

DVD is in good shape, clean. Can be played with PowerDVD 8 in the same computer, same drive, and could also be saved with AnyDVD as an ISO file. The ISO too plays fine, complete with English subtitles.

DrWatson was ran but produced no debug file. Attaching 3 screenshots of MakeMKV process.

Best regards
Attachments
MakeMKV runs and fails.jpg
MakeMKV runs and fails.jpg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 19319 times
Options select.jpg
Options select.jpg (74.87 KiB) Viewed 19319 times
Scan results.jpg
Scan results.jpg (63.19 KiB) Viewed 19319 times
ToxicDreamz

Re: Failed to save title to file revisited

Post by ToxicDreamz »

This may sound stupid, but try saving it to a different location.
PeacePipe

Post by PeacePipe »

Nothing is too wild at this point. I've even tried to save it under another name and not by the default "UNDEFINED", or letting to include ALL options, (Chinese, Thai, etc. subtitles.), AND setting the file size filter to 10sec instead of my normal 600sec (5min) value.

But! Different source (DVD reader) device, different target (hard drive), different folder and different name. But exactly the same results! As always MakeMKV properly detects all the components and file size: 3973.2M, but terminates the process in less than 1 second with the popup error, displayed in the sample screenshot.

(I forgot to mention in my original post, that when attempted to "MakeMKV" the perfectly functional ISO file created by AnyDVD, that process was also terminated with the exact same error.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Try turning on debugging (see my signature for how) and try again; debugging will give more details on why it failed.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

my normal 600sec (5min) value
Probably irrelevant here, but 600 seconds is equal to 10 minutes, not five...

gizmogeek

Post by gizmogeek »

I have had a similar problem with several of my discs. AnyDVD rips them without errors. CloneDVD2 can rip the problem titles to a new DVD set that still produces the error. AVS Video Converter can convert the titles without errors. MakeMkv, however, produces an error and aborts making the mkv file for the problem titles. I ran MakeMkv with debugging on and have the log. Perhaps this information can help narrow down the problem.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(745.43 KiB) Downloaded 608 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

PeacePipe wrote:First failure of any kind I've ever experienced. (Using MakeMKV for 2-3 years.)

Failed to save "A Chinese Ghost Story 2". Standard DVD (Megastar Video Distribution (HK) LTD". Everything runs as normal, but at the end of the "Make MKV" event popup error report says: "Copy complete, 0 files saved, 1 failed".

DVD is in good shape, clean. Can be played with PowerDVD 8 in the same computer, same drive, and could also be saved with AnyDVD as an ISO file. The ISO too plays fine, complete with English subtitles.

DrWatson was ran but produced no debug file. Attaching 3 screenshots of MakeMKV process.

Best regards
Please enable debug log and see if anything shows up. Also, make sure you're using the latest version - 1.8.0
T-bonebill

Post by T-bonebill »

ANy update on this? New user to Makemkv. go this error on A Chinese Ghost Story
I enabled debug and have attached the log here:
MakeMKV_log.txt
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
It does not look like much information is in there, the copy starts and then stops with a 1 failed message.

Thanks for a great program. these only DVDs so far that will not work with the program.
wrldtvlr

Post by wrldtvlr »

I'm having the same problem with the I'm Alan Partridge DVD. Track 3 (Title 2) gets all the title, then fails. Tried with multiple optical drives and multiple destinations, with and without AnyDVD. Log entries are:

Saving 1 titles into directory Z:/MakeMKV
DEBUG: Code 7 at PT-QVWpr6F12!+sOW+:213135964
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
DEBUG: Code 4294880446 at %3VSbJFKJLZK[g`ZAr$M:213143209
DEBUG: Code 0 at %3VSbJFKJLZK[g`ZAr$M:29404119
DEBUG: Code 0 at a\;2X|KY0-z5BQ^r{QzKS:213136608
DEBUG: Code 0 at *~hnCI|G[w/I^^d}:29395908
DEBUG: Code 0 at %\#Rf#g+*H<yf9zBe:213132698
DEBUG: Code 0 at %\#Rf#g+*H<yf9zBe:213132146
DEBUG: Code 0 at %\#Rf#g+*H<yf9zBe:29393769
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error in p->FetchFrames(2,true)
Failed to save title 2 to file Z:/MakeMKV/title_t02.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed