Another Subtitles Moan!

Everything related to MakeMKV
ldoodle

Another Subtitles Moan!

Post by ldoodle »

Hiya,

This isn't a moan at MakeMKV, but rather at the subtitles method of implementation!

I have just ripped Battle Royale and Apocalypto (both DVD) selecting only the video and best audio track (deselected all subtitle tracks). Now I was expecting these films to have hard-coded (or burnt) subtitles, as why on earth would any english-speaking person want to disable them, but they don't so the rips are unwatchable.

These happened to be my 300 and something rips, so I now have to look through this list and remember if any films contain foreign language and then rip the subtitle track if they do.

So my question is, is there anyway I can check to see if my existing rips have hard-coded subtitles, so I know not to re-do that film!

What an absolute joke!
ldoodle

Re: Another Subtitles Moan!

Post by ldoodle »

OK, this bit is a moan at MakeMKV.

I've just put in my Apocalypto disc to rip ONLY the subtitle track but it says nothing is selected.

Surely I don't need select the title, which in turn rips the video, just to get the subtitle track?

Thanks
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

is there anyway I can check to see if my existing rips have hard-coded subtitles, so I know not to re-do that film!
True hardcoded/burned subtitles are actually part of the video images. Therefore, the only way I know of to determine with certainty whether particular subtitles are hardcoded/burned, would be to set the DVD to "Subtitles - Off" and then watch the movie to see if they appear.
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Yeah thought so.

Is there a way I can rip only the subtitle track in MakeMKV without doing the video as well? Or even get the subtitles from somewhere else?
nfazz

Post by nfazz »

Yes, this is a known problem without an obvious solution right now. See the thread "List of BluRay with forced subtitles". I have been working on Angels & Demons and have found that while there are forced sub .srt files floating around on the internet, the time codes are slightly off depending how far into the movie you get. I'm actually trying out the new mkvtoolnix extractor right now and plan to edit the subs manually. You can then "burn" them in by transcoding the file through HandBrake, mux them in using mkvmerge, or just manually instruct your player to display them. Hopefully other people will post srt files and we can all benefit from the community.

Nick
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

OK, thanks.

Is there no way I can rip just the subtitle track without also redoing the video? This sure would make it somewhat less of a problem as I can just whizz through all the subtitles.

Or even get the SRT files online?

Thanks
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

OK, I think I have resigned myself to starting again as the online SRT files are way off, in some cases by up to 20-30 seconds!

However, I have noticed that some films have multiple subtitle tracks of the same language. For example Apocalypto (again) has 3 english sub tracks. One is proper subtitles where you even get things like "cheering", "laughing", "shouting" etc appear but the others just have the foreign speaking language. The latter is what I want.

How can I determine the correct one in makemkv, without ripping all sub tracks then removing the wrong ones with mkvmerge?

Thanks
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
How can I determine the correct one in makemkv, without ripping all sub tracks then removing the wrong ones with mkvmerge?
DVD subtitle tracks are TINY - so just keep them all...
vernongreen

Post by vernongreen »

I've noticed, even when encoding a BluRay, the forced subtitles don't get flagged as "forced" in the mkv container. The only way I have been able to fix that is by using mkvmerge to set it. It would be nice to have an option to have makemkv set the "forced" flag on all forced subtitles in both DVDs and BluRays - it would save a lot of time.