As the title suggests I would love to have the ability to rename the output
files before they are written to the HD. Currently I have to convert
to mkv then go the the folder the file is in, rename the file usually titled
title0.mkv to whatever the actual movie name is before I can convert
the next movie otherwise it wants to overwrite the previous one. Now if this
is already in the program then could someone tell me how as I have looked
through & am unable to find the option.

Other than that and the angles issue I mentioned in another thread this is a
really great program and I look forward to the first official release.
setarip_old

Re: [Feature Request] Renaming output files

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

As an alternative, you could simply establish folders named one for each disc...
sraimand

Post by sraimand »

I love this program and use it constantly to rip my DVD collection. Slowly and surely I am making my way through the 400 or so DVD's I have.

I agree that this one enhancment would really be benficial. I have seen this requested from others as well and hopefully would be considered as part of the next release.

You can change and/or create the folder right within the MakeMKV. it would be great to have a radio button or check box so that you can turn on a "make filename equal folder name" option. That way the user can set up their filing system as they wish.

Thanks again for all of your great work on the app.
leftfield

Post by leftfield »

I already have all DVDs/Blu Rays ripped to ISOs that I'm converting to mkv. I suspect there's plenty of other people in a similar position. It would be good if the filename of the resulting mkv was the same as the name of the ISO. Instead it currently uses the name of the track on the disk which is absolutely no use and usually the same from movie to move (ie title00, etc).

Is there any plan to have this perform batch processing? If so this feature request would be a HUGE bonus.

Great app, thanks.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

leftfield wrote:Instead it currently uses the name of the track on the disk which is absolutely no use and usually the same from movie to move (ie title00, etc).
Is there any plan to have this perform batch processing? If so this feature request would be a HUGE bonus.
With the "auto" or "semi-auto" naming settings MakeMKV will name a FOLDER by disc name. As for automation MakeMKV comes with command-line version.
Claudio

Post by Claudio »

The auto naming of the Folder is nice but I too would like to see the ability to directly name the .mkv file in the GUI.
gmd024

Convert ISO's to MKV

Post by gmd024 »

leftfield
This may be off the subject a little but you mentioned -
"I already have all DVDs/Blu Rays ripped to ISOs that I'm converting to mkv"

I assume you are using MakeMKV to convert the ISO's to MKV's and the only choice MakeMKV offers as the "Source" to play the content from is the Optical Drives on the PC - or are you using a Virtual Drive to play/convert the "ripped'" ISO's to MKV

Thanks

To get back 'on subject' - I name a folder to send the MKV's to - but it would be nice to be able to name the file itself before making the MKV
Knocks

Post by Knocks »

mike admin wrote: With the "auto" or "semi-auto" naming settings MakeMKV will name a FOLDER by disc name. As for automation MakeMKV comes with command-line version.
Creating yet another folder is not as good of a solution as simply naming the MKV file the same as the parent folder in which VIDEO_TS resides. In any scenario, title0.mkv, title1.mkv etc have to go. It's just not a useful naming scheme.

So to recap, files converted from c:\Movies\Spiderman\VIDEO_TS should by default be named c:\Movies\Spiderman\Spiderman 1.mkv, Spiderman 2.mkv etc.
PatCarol

Post by PatCarol »

Yes! that feature would be nice - even when I retype the title name it is always overridden :(
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

Just to confirm - does everyone in this thread know about Expert mode?
View->Preferences->General->Expert Mode

It allows you to rename the files in MakeMKV on a title-per-title basis.
PatCarol

Post by PatCarol »

Just to confirm - I have enabled Expert mode and it makes no difference :) Percentage wise, the new title has worked/been retained/used about 3% of the times (I have copied about 150 movies direct from DVD/BD now) and for about 15% of the time it ignores the title completely and inserts title_t00 - for the remainder of the time it still appends txx and inserts underscores,- to reiterate - this is with EXPERT mode enabled in preferences (triple checked).

I am using the Windows version (Win7).

I would add a screen grab showing this if the site would let me - I am being informed that I have reached my attachment quota but I have not attached any files before this and it is only a 42kb file?????

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the renaming issue - it is so frustrating for such a relatively simple thing (happy to work with you creating logs etc if required).

cheers

Pat
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php ... 577#p39114

Are you actually taking advantage of what expert mode allows?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
PatCarol

Post by PatCarol »

Hi Woodstock - I wish it was only that easy :)

I have looked at the options under that button (drop-down menu) before;and I confirm I have Expert Mode enabled, but in my version it does not offer the same options that are shown in your linked solution/hint. The only options I get are:
Name
Language
Metadata Language
Order Weight
MKV Flags

The 'File Name' option is not listed??? I have tried all sorts of things clicking on various partsof the button, on the Name in the drop down list but nothing generates the list you show. And, I can't attach images to show you grrr! is this a restriction on Noobies or something?

Have I missed something or a setting somewhere? I am using version 1.9.2 for Windows (64 bit) - Win7

cheers

Pat
PatCarol

Post by PatCarol »

Further to my last post, I think I may have stumbled on the 'sort of solution'. The 'File Name' option is only available if you first click on the title name for the Chapter/Selection in the left hand box.

It would be far easier if this option was made permanently selectable no matter where you were in the selection lest to the left? or even as a stand alone entry field in the right pane?

cheers, and thanks for the pointer Woodstock.

Pat
Knocks

Post by Knocks »

You shouldn't have to use Expert Mode to avoid confusing file names. This should be enabled by default in Dummy Mode.

And please, no underscores in file names. What is this, 1996?