Warning message about DVDFab

Everything related to MakeMKV
vikingcrown

Warning message about DVDFab

Post by vikingcrown »

What is the issue with full disk rips from DVDFab? I get these warnings for most of my rips. I am using the DVDFab HDDecryptor which is their free product and haven't had any issues.
crowfax

Re: Warning message about DVDFab

Post by crowfax »

Lets go back a step - why are you pre-ripping with any other software? You don't need to; MakeMKV can handle the disc just fine.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
vikingcrown

Post by vikingcrown »

For archiving purposes i like to have a full backup. Also sometimes i no longer have the disk and all i have to work with is a full folder rip.

That being said, for basic dvds what issues should i be aware of? I have been using MakeMKV for a long time using the same process and not noticed any issues.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

The warning is there because the developers of MakeMKV can't predict what other software will do to the image of a disc.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
Also sometimes i no longer have the disk
If, for whatever reason, you do not have possession of, or own the commercial disc, you should not be posting questions about that disc to this forum...
Tolken

Post by Tolken »

Instead of insulting, accusing or belittling, could the question actually be answered please?

Some users will already have large collections ripped to ISO before switching to MKV.

Personally I made ISOs of all the disks MakeMKV doesn't like so I don't have to dig them out from storage every single time a new patch comes out that has improved master error handling. Additionally I have stumbled apon some disks that MakeMKV could not process the original disk but could process the resulting ISO.

I'd really like to hear what caused this warning to be added.

Occasionally using - DVDFab decrypting / ImgBurn iso creation
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Tolken wrote:I'd really like to hear what caused this warning to be added.
I already answered this:
The warning is there because the developers of MakeMKV can't predict what other software will do to the image of a disc.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

crowfax wrote:I already answered this:
Its worse than that. This warning was enabled after many hours spent debugging broken test dumps, turned out to be damaged by a specific version of dvdfab. So we can predict fairly certain that if Dvd files have the watermark of a specific dvdfab version (that MakeMKV detects), then the file is likely corrupt.
Tolken

Post by Tolken »

Thank you Mike, I'll just find something else to do the decryption/rip pre-iso creation besides dvdfab.
(If you have any alternative decryption suggestions to anydvd/dvdfab I'm all ears, if not I'll play around till I find one I'm happy with.)

PS: What version series did you see the problem in, and by chance did the problem not replicate in a newer/older version?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Tolken wrote:PS: What version series did you see the problem in, and by chance did the problem not replicate in a newer/older version?
To best of my knowledge relatively recent versions of AndDvd/DvdFab do not have any problems, especially leading to data corruption. I know a "signature" of the problematic version, but I don't know which DvdFab version it corresponds to.
vikingcrown

Post by vikingcrown »

Interesting, I am receiving the error message using the newest versions of DVDFab HD Decryptor (which is the free version of the dvdfab program) The warning says "Errors may follow" does this mean that if the movie is processed successfully, then the resulting file is ok?
zeker

Post by zeker »

Reviving old thread after searching and reading all topics with "DVDFab" in the title.

This was never definitively answered. At least enough to have confidence going forward. I get this error message with versions of DVDFab now six years later than supposed problem versions. Is there still an issue with how DVDFab rips to full ISO? Resulting MKV's seem ok even after this message. The message is hardly tentative with "known to produce damaged VOBs".

I, too, prefer to archive full disks in ISOs. I could then process the original disk with MakeMKV, but it is much faster doing that with the ISO than from the disk.

Are we being needlessly cautioned at this point?
Knocks

Post by Knocks »

I literally just had a problem with an ISO ripped with DVDFab having an incorrect aspect ratio after being repackaged to MKV by MakeMKV. I had to extract the MPEG-2 video stream and patch it with DVDpatch to the correct aspect ratio, then remux with MKVToolNix.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Incorrect aspect ratios have nothing to do with DVDFab or MakeMKV. This are mastering errors of the DVD. The aspect ratio is set in the IFO file and in the stream. A have had many (most are older) DVDs with this problem. The IFO file is okay (16:9) , but the stream itself is flagged wrong (4:3). DVD players use in most cases the IFO setting and ignores the stream flag, but in case of ripping the IFO flag is no longer present, so the wrong stream setting is used.
Good Luck :)

Post by gentoffer198 »

I dont use DVDFab, I installed it but not get to use. I warning message popup, perhaps is the riper but I only makemkv for iso to mkv or full to mkv