World War Z / After Earth / Homeland

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
RusDavies

World War Z / After Earth / Homeland

Post by RusDavies »

Hello,

I tried to rip three disks today: World War Z; After Earth; and Homeland S02 disk 1.

In all three cases I received the dreaded, "Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive".

Drive Information
OS device name: /dev/sr0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BH14NS40
Revision: 1.00
Serial number: K8LC7420809
Firmware date: 2112-06-16 18:23:
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 43

This highest AACS version started at 30 something and got incremented along the way. Example log and two dumps (you only allow 3 attachments) are included.

Anything in particular I should be doing to help solve this?
Attachments
example_log.txt
Example log output.
(7.09 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
MKB_v43_After_Earth.tgz
(14.79 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
MKB_v31_World_War_Z.tgz
(14.81 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
RusDavies

Re: World War Z / After Earth / Homeland

Post by RusDavies »

.. and in case it matters, here's the 3rd dump ...
Attachments
MKB_v36_HOMELAND_S2_D1.tgz
(14.9 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Have you tried powering your system down completely and starting up from cold?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MKB v 43 is supported. Have you inserted any other recent disc (even without MakeMKV running)?
RusDavies

Post by RusDavies »

The only disks inserted during the past month, (since the last successful rip), are the 3 mentioned.

I'll try a reboot, as suggested. Will let you know.
RusDavies

Post by RusDavies »

Rebooted and tried again. The same problem persists.

Any other suggestions? Is there any debug information that should gather in order to help?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Were you running any other blu-ray software recently? Something updated your drive - and it was either a disc you've inserted or a software you've ran.
RusDavies

Post by RusDavies »

For reference, it's a Linux machine.

Except for MakeMKV, I have no blu-ray applications. If an update was applied, then it likely arrived when inserting blu-ray disks.

The only blu-ray disks I have inserted recently are the three mentioned - in order, these were: Homeland S02D01; After Earth; and World War Z. The first two each caused the AACS version to be updated. The failures started with Homeland, which was the first disc inserted.

Prior to this, I've merely been backing up old DVD discs. One exception was a blu-ray boxset of Alien last Xmas, which worked fine at the time.

Let me know if there is something you need me to do.
RusDavies

Post by RusDavies »

Little update:

I moved over to a Windows laptop machine, using the 1.8.5 version of MakeMKV. With this setup, both World War Z and After Earth rip without problems. Homeland failed with seek errors, but that's a whole other problem with that drive.

On the windows machine, the highest AACS version started at 33. After having tried all three disks, the highest version became 43, which is the same as for the failing Linux configuration. I tried both working disks again, just to make sure the new AACS version hadn't changed things, and they still rip fine.

Moving back to the original Linux desktop machine and trying again, (having cleaned the discs etc), the "AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive" persists. I've deleted by hand the various makemkv specific libraries and binaries, and then built and installed MakeMkv 1.8.5 from scratch; the same problem persists.

Clearly, MakeMkv can handle AACS version 43, as evidenced by the working Windows installation. Something else must be different.

Any thoughts? Is the drive toast? Is it possible that an AACS update can somehow be botched, resulting in a bricked drive?
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

Just some personal experience info if it helps this topic any.

I backed up After Earth and World War Z with 1.8.5 in OS X 10.9 with no issues or warnings.
ixion

Post by ixion »

With MakeMKV 1.8.5 for Windows, I've been unable to rip World War Z.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Oh, I didn't realize it was an external USB drive. What you describe is often caused by the drive being underpowered.
RusDavies

Post by RusDavies »

are you replying to me Mike? it's NOT an external drive. i'm describing two machines, one llinux desktop and one windows laptop, each with a different internal blu-ray drive..

nevertheless, perhaps there is a power fault. I will investigate.
RusDavies

Post by RusDavies »

Put the machine and drive onto a known-good PSU. Same fault. This eliminates the PSU.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare machine to hand that I can swap the drive into, in order to eliminate any MB issues.

Any other ideas on debugging?
zeroepoch

Post by zeroepoch »

I'm having the exact same problem. Fedora 18, FFMPEG 2.1 built from Fedora 20 SRPM, MakeMKV 1.8.6. It says the latest version seen is v43 and looking at .MakeMKV it's due to After Earth. I've also inserted World War Z in addition to After Earth into a desktop Linux machine with no other BD software installed. I was able to dump both of those movies fine using 1.8.5. Now I'm trying to dump Iron Man 3, which is v31 and it's giving the dreaded invalid key error. Good to know it may work in Windows so I'll give that a try as a workaround until the real problem is found.