Selection rule to exclude DTS core tracks only

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
chaos215bar2

Selection rule to exclude DTS core tracks only

Post by chaos215bar2 »

In general, my goal with ripping MKVs from Blu-rays is to preserve everything about the titles I rip. I want to include all the tracks with no extraneous or duplicate data. (I do make an exception for subtitles, since not all players have an option to display only forced subtitles.)

I've been using the selection rule "+sel:all,-sel:core", since I want DTS-HD tracks, but I don't need to duplicate the core track on it's own. (I've never run into a player that doesn't either recognize the DTS-HD track for what it is or just play it as plain DTS.) Unfortunately, this doesn't work with TrueHD + AC3, since the TrueHD track in the MKV does not contain the AC3 data.

So, my question is this: how do I create a selection rule that will copy each audio track exactly once? For DTS-HD + core, I want only the DTS-HD track that includes all of the core track's data (and in fact should appear as plain DTS to anything that doesn't understand DTS-HD). For TrueHD + AC3, I want both tracks separately. (My understanding is that the two audio streams are indeed muxed into one on the Blu-ray, but MKV support for that style of encoding is essentially non-existant.)
ndjamena

Re: Selection rule to exclude DTS core tracks only

Post by ndjamena »

There's a default selection string for each track in the conversion profiles.

You could try selecting every track in the main defaultSelection string, then adding a DTS trackSettings field into the Conversion profile with -sel:core added to the trackSettings defaultSelection string.

I haven't tried it, but it seems like it should work.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

In case anyone comes looking for an answer:

Default Selection:

Code: Select all

+sel:all
Profile:

Code: Select all

<trackSettings input="DTSHD-core-multi">
        <output outputSettingsName="copy" 
                defaultSelection="$app_DefaultSelectionString,-sel:true">
        </output>
    </trackSettings>
    <trackSettings input="DTSHD-core-stereo">
        <output outputSettingsName="copy" 
                defaultSelection="$app_DefaultSelectionString,-sel:true">
        </output>
    </trackSettings>
Starhawk

Post by Starhawk »

ndjamena wrote:In case anyone comes looking for an answer:
Sorry to bump a two year thread almost to the day, but thank you for this! This is exactly what I was looking for.