Dolby Atmos

Everything related to MakeMKV
CraigChrist8239

Dolby Atmos

Post by CraigChrist8239 »

Hello, I just had to make an account so I could ask this real quick. I couldn't find anything related to Dolby Atmos and MakeMKV online so I figured I'd ask this here. I don't even know if this is the right section, sorry.

I work at a video store and we just got the new Transformers: Age of Extinction in and when I went to rip it I noticed there wasn't any HD audio tracks that I could find. I thought this was really strange being such a big name title but then I noticed that where most movies would have the "DTS-HD" logo this movie actually uses the new to Blu-Ray Dolby Atmos, which from what I understand is supposed to be pretty awesome. I would assume that MakeMKV has not added support for this yet? Any ETA on that?

Also, is it too much to ask to atleast add an option to auto-select HD audio tracks? Kinda of annoying when I copy a whole 4 shelves of Blu-Rays/DVDs before I find out that HD tracks aren't automatically selected...
mike admin

Re: Dolby Atmos

Post by mike admin »

CraigChrist8239 wrote:this movie actually uses the new to Blu-Ray Dolby Atmos, which from what I understand is supposed to be pretty awesome. I would assume that MakeMKV has not added support for this yet? Any ETA on that?
In the next version, should be released shortly. Please note that every player would still decode Atmos tracks as "regular" TrueHD.
abriffa

Post by abriffa »

mike admin wrote:
CraigChrist8239 wrote:this movie actually uses the new to Blu-Ray Dolby Atmos, which from what I understand is supposed to be pretty awesome. I would assume that MakeMKV has not added support for this yet? Any ETA on that?
In the next version, should be released shortly. Please note that every player would still decode Atmos tracks as "regular" TrueHD.
Hi Mike

By new version do you mean v1.8.13, because I downloaded it and opened Transformers: Age of Extinction, but still TrueHD or Atmos do not show. Only the DD5.1 shows?

Thanks
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

abriffa wrote:
mike admin wrote:
Hi Mike

By new version do you mean v1.8.13, because I downloaded it and opened Transformers: Age of Extinction, but still TrueHD or Atmos do not show. Only the DD5.1 shows?

Thanks
mike admin wrote:
Let's see,

Mike posted in the thread on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:30 am,

/download/

Version 1.8.13 was released on 1.9.2014

Hmmmm.... There's something about the word "next" that seems relevant too.
abriffa

Post by abriffa »

Oh damn... my bad... only downloaded the newest version today!
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

When is the new version coming out? Just picked up TAOE and would love to watch it at my buddy's new HT.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Batiatus wrote:When is the new version coming out?
In a few days.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

Batiatus wrote:When is the new version coming out? Just picked up TAOE and would love to watch it at my buddy's new HT.
OT/ Your buddy has some fancy new HT system without a BR player? Uh, okey dokey..
megalodon

Post by megalodon »

Thanks Mike, looking forward to being able to use Atmos.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

My buddy has a fancy new home theater system with a HTPC running XBMC and Cinema Experience. Using a blu-ray player makes putting on a movie just like putting on a movie. Running CE makes it an event and not being able to use the TrueHD track let alone the Atmos is a huge difference.

And as I type this now, no, there isn't a blu-ray player connected to this system yet.
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

Batiatus wrote:My buddy has a fancy new home theater system with a HTPC running XBMC and Cinema Experience. Using a blu-ray player makes putting on a movie just like putting on a movie. Running CE makes it an event and not being able to use the TrueHD track let alone the Atmos is a huge difference.

And as I type this now, no, there isn't a blu-ray player connected to this system yet.
I am just playing devil's advocate here while I too wait for this functionality with makemkv.

I was doing something similar with MediaBrowser Theater, but for me, one of the major benefits of having a HTPC is that you can jump right to a movie and skip all of the "coming soon" and intro crap and get right to the movie after selecting it. If I left all of the trivia stuff, coming soon trailers, DTS/Dolby/etc intros, and so forth, my family would be in protest. I trimmed it down to just a cool DTS or Dolby intro, but just for when we have company over and really to do a quick "show off" of my calibrated room and calibrated audio. Having people sit there for 5-10 minutes before a movie starts doesn't make it an experience in my book, but if you and your friend like that, great.

Oh, and even with my HTPC that has its own internal blu-ray player, I still have a stand alone blu-ray player hooked up just to maximize functionality. I have a purpose built dedicated room with full on soundproofing, a significant amount of acoustical treatments, nice hardware, etc. Total cost, while not a mega-theater, was over $15,000 just for speakers, projector, and A/V gear including the HTPC. Throw in several thousand for construction, lighting, seating, soundproofing, acoustical treatments.... I hired none of it out, so I don't have and labor dollars and I am still at well over $25,000 all said and done. Maybe your friend's fancy system is better or more expensive than that though.

Keeping a $50 blu-ray player connected up "just in case" is never a bad idea regardless of how much time/money is invested in a system. For me though, outside of getting HD audio on an Atmos disc, it never gets used.

Again, just playing devil's advocate. I too eagerly await the Atmos processing in MakeMKV so that I can get the movie and upcoming Atmos discs into my digital library, but I certainly won't let a delay hold me back from watching what I want because of a new audio format needing to be incorporated into a great tool like MakeMKV.
megalodon

Post by megalodon »

I think the biggest problem is going to be playing back ATMOS using your HTPC. For me and many others playing it back with OpenELEC or XBMC using passthrough is still a long way off from what I can find on the forums. In my opinion ATMOS is worth having even by just adding two ceiling speakers.
I have heard the audio format in two and four ceiling speaker setups and its impressive. The simulated ATMOS leaves something to be desired as it sounds like it has removed some of the vocals and surround effects and passsed them to the ceiling speakers. A few of my friends already have it setup in their home cinemas and for the time being they will have to use their Blu-ray players to play it back. But the fact that as of today Make MKV has provided the facility to backup this extra stream is fantastic. Well done.
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

megalodon wrote:I think the biggest problem is going to be playing back ATMOS using your HTPC. For me and many others playing it back with OpenELEC or XBMC using passthrough is still a long way off from what I can find on the forums. In my opinion ATMOS is worth having even by just adding two ceiling speakers.
I have heard the audio format in two and four ceiling speaker setups and its impressive. The simulated ATMOS leaves something to be desired as it sounds like it has removed some of the vocals and surround effects and passsed them to the ceiling speakers. A few of my friends already have it setup in their home cinemas and for the time being they will have to use their Blu-ray players to play it back. But the fact that as of today Make MKV has provided the facility to backup this extra stream is fantastic. Well done.

I listened to about 12 demos of Atmos at CEDIA this year and it completely sold me on a format that I wasn't sure would be successful in the home setting. At CEDIA the "Atmos Enabled" speakers sounded different, but equally as good as 4 dedicated overheads, but that is partially due to the tighter restrictions on what qualifies as an Atmos Enabled speaker. I still liked the dedicated overhead speakers better though and know that when I finally get around to setting one up, I will be going with a 7.1.4 setup.

With that said, the biggest thing right now is getting the TrueHD track that is imbedded within the Atmos track. Since MakeMKV can't grab the Atmos track in its rip, everyone is left with an old-school Dolby Digital 5.1 and nothing in HD. I don't think that anyone here is actually planning on playing the full Atmos track with an Atmos setup in their home.... Yet...
megalodon

Post by megalodon »

But it can grab the track as of todays update of Make MKV. I have yet to try it though.