Dolby Atmos

Everything related to MakeMKV
Batiatus

Re: Dolby Atmos

Post by Batiatus »

Sweet, so now we can rip the TrueHD track with Atmos embedded. Now just to wait till the codecs support playback of both.

Question though, is there anything in the metadata that signifies the track is Atmos and not just a regular TrueHD track?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Batiatus wrote:Question though, is there anything in the metadata that signifies the track is Atmos and not just a regular TrueHD track?
There is one additional substream and one channel extension, but the data format is unknown. For now MakeMKV assumes that is any extension is present, then the extension is Atmos.
Once you open disc in MakeMKV, The codec name on the right pane will show "TrueHD Atmos".
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

Does that get flagged in the metadata of the MKV though so a player can recognize it and designate the Atmos track vs a regular TrueHD track (I'm tlaking about XBMC/KODI specifically). Is there something already in the Metadata or is there something that can be edited with a header editor?

Also, I ripped the disc but the MKV seems to have issues skipping scenes. I'll try ripping again but I've already done it twice. It will skip once or twice and then just keep jumping back to the previous chapter. Annoying little glitch it is.
tatts4Life

Post by tatts4Life »

When I rip a movie that's supposed to have Dolby Atmos will it give me an option for that form of audio output? When I was ripping Step Up All In for my wife it doesn't give that option. It only gives I believe Dolby trueHD. Yet it says it has Dolby Atmos on the case.

I'm also using the most up to date version of MakeMKV.
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

You will only see the Dolby TrueHD option. I don't believe that there is the ability to rip Atmos tracks yet.

The "Atmos update" that was originally talked about allowed the TrueHD track to be extracted. Before that you could only get DD5.1

So long story short, you are seeing the right options, just no way to rip the Atmos track itself.... yet....
Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

hi, i have a brand new Onkyo Dolby atmos 5.1.2 receiver, the only way i find to play atmos sound from my pc is with the m2ts file from the atmos demo disc, i play it in Kobi (xbmc), audio setting on WASAPI: HDMI, enable passtrough and all dolby and dts option is on.

I have notice the m2ts file load in Koby have 3 audio stream:

1 is Unknown Dolby TrueHD 7.1, i get no sound
2 is Unknown AC3 5.1, i get only a beep sound
3 is Unknown - 5.1 , But here i get the AMAZING Atmos audio sound detect and play loud and clear on my receiver.

I make a little video so you cant see what i say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIe_SLOHV0

I try to play some mkv with atmos track on it, and i get only Dolby ex 6.1., i think Atmos need a spécial audio track to play correctly on my receiver.
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

Hello,

I notice with the current version of Makemkv (works great) when I rip a DTS:X movie my oppo 103 streams it to my AV8802 and I get DTS:X on the Marantz display. When I rip a Dolby Atmos disc - e.g. Star Trek Beyond it just says multichannel in streamed through my oppo. Everything is HDMI 2.0 or 2.0a. Could just be my oppo.