Toy Story of Terror

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
PaulCB

Re: Toy Story of Terror

Post by PaulCB »

Again, I did check to change it so MakeMKV didn't exclude any files by length and it didn't change anything. Also, as noted, I used EAC3To and MKVMerge to make the mkv and all audio, subtitle and track information was there as listed by those, which also matched the Blu-ray menu. So, outside of the extra 'left audio' segment that is somehow ignored by the player (this could be a java thing), the issue of missing content is one that is only with MakeMKV.

As for your Supernatural title, you should actually rip it as if the language is being reported by eac3to to see if is there. Entirely possible that they simply changed the Menu UI in region B to not show the ability to select Japanese but didn't remaster the disc otherwise. But again, this is unrelated to the Toy Story of Terror issue as the content is read and played, or ripped correctly by everything except MakeMKV.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

*sigh*

Track selection for any particular title is defined in the playlist, eac3to and mediainfo simply ignore the tracks in the playlist and list all tracks in the m2ts files. Therefore, whatever tracks eac3to or mediainfo list for a title are of no consequence and don't make for a rational argument.

If you're dealing with an extended edition or an otherwise re-edited version where sections of video have no available audio dub for a particular language the authors of a Blu Ray have no obligation to replace the missing audio with anything sensible. You ignore the playlist track selection at your own peril. Mike has to consider these things when making decisions.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

ndjamena wrote:*sigh*

Track selection for any particular title is defined in the playlist, eac3to and mediainfo simply ignore the tracks in the playlist and list all tracks in the m2ts files. Therefore, whatever tracks eac3to or mediainfo list for a title are of no consequence and don't make for a rational argument.

If you're dealing with an extended edition or an otherwise re-edited version where sections of video have no available audio dub for a particular language the authors of a Blu Ray have no obligation to replace the missing audio with anything sensible. You ignore the playlist track selection at your own peril. Mike has to consider these things when making decisions.
Not sure how any of that theoretical information is relevant to this title (or even to your Supernatural title if you didn't actually try to extract it via eac3to or similar). Again, the information is not some incorrect reporting by other software. It was extracted and played back in an mkv from eac3to and mkvmerge. It is not showing via makemkv but it is there via BR playback software and via the other extraction software. Only MakeMKV is reporting is incorrectly.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I'm trying to point out that eac3to does not read the track selection in playlists, add to that the fact that a Blu Ray player has Java and it's difficult to know if this is an actual bug in makemkv or not. Since I assume you've looked at all the other titles and not found any segments with components of the missing audio present that means either the bug in makemkv is real or the more disturbing option that Java is capable of modifying playlist settings after the fact.

Since I've already tried to point out that eac3to ignores track selection twice already and you seem incapable of believing it, it's quite impossible for this thread to progress further. Assuming you've given mike a test dump from the disc it should be fixed in the next version, if it isn't then there's something else going on that won't be so easily solved .
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

OK, so, Big W had the Alien Quadrilogy for $24 and since they had Toy Story of Terror (which JB Hi Fi didn't seem to even know even existed) as well, The Toy Story Trilogy is somewhere on my list of things I might consider getting one day and apparently I took so long in getting Hoodwinked that it's no longer available in Australia on Blu Ray I decided I'd get it.

So, reducing the minimum title length to 0 results in MakeMKV dumping a whole heap of M2TS files onto the title list. Since MakeMKV still doesn't list the M2TS files for the Iron Man Episodes and the only time I've ever seen it list an M2TS file is for the Doctor Who PIP Episodes, Star Trek Access Episodes and the Ghostbusters Slimer Mode (all of which are Java titles), I'm assuming those M2TS files are there on behalf of Java. I've ripped them all and on cursory examination and as far as I can tell all the M2TS files that make up the entire Toy Story of Terror movie are represented.

That looks a hell of a lot like the first Star Trek Access Episode, which I only managed to reconstruct because I pointed Eac3to at the playlist for the actual episode and it managed to extract both the secondary video stream and the DTS Express Track (neither of which it should have even been able to see in the playlist for the main title if it were following Track Selection, much less rip).

Upon playing the Blu Ray and rewinding the title at the beginning I don't get the 'beep' so it's definitely not supposed to be there. Of course there could be something else going on, but to me it kind of looks like the playlists are just red herrings and the real titles are being created via Java.

-Edit- Unless there's a trim command in the Playlists...
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I got bored so decided to have another look at the TOT Blu Ray. It's interesting.

There are actually 3 versions of the movie. One is English, and has the title sequence and credits in English, one is French with a French title sequence and credits and one is Spanish.

It's silly to think that the 800 playlist was the correct one for the movie because it's the only one of them and it's just for English.

So I put the disc in my Blu Ray player and chose French in the main menu, played the movie then rewound it and yet still that little bip in the beginning wasn't present.

So if title 800 is the actual movie because it doesn't have the bip in the beginning, then where's the French version?

Anyway, I already knew the answer to that, but the question remained "why is TOT a Java title?" I'd come up with a theory on what might be happening so I thought I'd give it a try. I loaded the disc and chose French in the menu, pressed play and up popped the French title sequence to match the French audio track (Histoire de Jouets Angoisse au Motel). I let it play for a little then switched the audio to English. The picture went black for a moment then continued. And so, already guessing what I'd find, I rewound it back to the beginning and wonder of wonders the title sequence was now written in English (Toy Story of Terror)... behold the power of Java, switching the title segments on the fly to match the audio selection!

It works with the End Credit's too. That kind of thing is gonna be a PITA to figure out how to rip.

But anyway, that's the mystery of the Toy Story of Terror Blu Ray solved...

Bored again.
zoxxo

Post by zoxxo »

I know this is old, but I sort of found a work around. I rip from disc with MakeMKV and then I rip to MP4 (M4V) with Handbrake. The opening unwanted audio signal is 4 seconds long and just happens to be chapter 1. I ripped chapters 2 through 11 and the problem audio portion is gone. Hope this might help some one else...
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

zoxxo wrote:I know this is old, but I sort of found a work around. I rip from disc with MakeMKV and then I rip to MP4 (M4V) with Handbrake. The opening unwanted audio signal is 4 seconds long and just happens to be chapter 1. I ripped chapters 2 through 11 and the problem audio portion is gone. Hope this might help some one else...
Actually, the first chapter is "Chapter 0". Unfortunately splitting the MKV with MKVMerge results in a 10ms delay and a DTS-MA track MakeMKV can't decode.

MakeMKV doesn't obey ordered chapters :(

To me EAC3To seems the best option for lossless extraction until MakeMKV implements "Split by Segment" for Blu Ray.

This is the command Line I used:

Code: Select all

eac3to 00850.mpls 1:C.txt 2:V.h264 3:A1.dts 3:A2.flac 4:A3.dts 4:A4.flac 5:A5.ac3 6:A6.ac3 9:A7.ac3 10:S1.sup 11:S2.sup 14:S3.sup
Or if you want the adverts as well:

Code: Select all

eac3to 00986.m2ts+01033.m2ts+01048.m2ts+01034.m2ts+01035.m2ts+01049.m2ts+01036.m2ts+00991.m2ts+00992.m2ts+00993.m2ts+00994.m2ts+00995.m2ts+00996.m2ts+01037.m2ts+01047.m2ts+01038.m2ts+01000.m2ts+01001.m2ts+01002.m2ts+01003.m2ts 1:V.h264 2:A1.dts 2:A2.flac 3:A3.dts 3:A4.flac 4:A5.ac3 5:A6.ac3 8:A7.ac3 9:S1.sup 10:S2.sup 13:S3.sup

eac3to 00803.mpls 1:C.txt
I have Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 now.
michaelP

Post by michaelP »

Has anybody figured out which title includes the three Toy Story Toons shorts?