Demux subtitles TextST ?

Everything related to MakeMKV
dom61

Demux subtitles TextST ?

Post by dom61 »

Good Morning
Is there a tool or a procedure that can make demux subtitle TextST?

Thank You
Zidoo Z9X | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro | ZDMC 20.1 | Remote WeChip | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800C
My PC Ryzen 7950X
ndjamena

Re: Demux subtitles TextST ?

Post by ndjamena »

Unless MakeMKV converts them to SRT or ASS/SSA most likely not.

MakeMKV only added BD text subtitles for the first time in the current version, so unless DVDFab or EAC3To have a longer history with the things there's no reason why any program should have been written to extract them.

You could try posting a feature request on the MKVToolNix Bug Tracker:

https://github.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/issues

Or for a long shot see what TSMuxer makes of them (most likely nothing, but maybe the developers would like a sample.)
dom61

Post by dom61 »

The reason why I want to convert them to extract them is PGS, through SubtitleEdit.
Why not all players, perhaps none, can play MKV files with subtitles TextST.
I forced subtitles TextSt, are activated menu java the Blu-ray.
Zidoo Z9X | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro | ZDMC 20.1 | Remote WeChip | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800C
My PC Ryzen 7950X
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146501

Apparently it's been well known for half a decade that The Mummy has TextST subtitles. Luckily I bought the entire trilogy a few weeks ago in my latest attempt to buy out my local JB store.

I'm ripping it now, I'll try experimenting when it's done.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Eac3to was useless, Subtitle Edit found SOMETHING, it just wasn't anything useful, DVDSubExtractor was useless. MKVExtract can't process it natively, but I did manage to extract it in raw form. I'm looking at the raw file with a Hex editor but I can't tell if there are any time-codes in it. Maybe it would need an index file to go with it.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Nothing can decode/manage the format right now. The physical data format of S_HDMV/TEXTST is exactly the same as S_HDMV/PGS so in theory you can hack mkvtoolnix to use the same demux module as for PGS to demux the textst data into a .sup file. This will preserve the timecodes/durations but the sup file will be otherwise unusable.

The TextST -> SRT conversion should be trivial and is planned in short future, but the timeline is unknown.

Also, so far we have only a single disc with text subtitles. If you have a disc with textst subtitles, please send us the sample. To do so make an MKV file, then open the file in mkvmerge and delete all audio/video tracks. This will produce a (small) MKS file. Send this file to support@makemkv.com .

Also please let me know if you need textst documentation for an open-source or freeware application.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I've already emailed Mosu about enabling extracting the text subtitles using MKVExtract. It's a start at least. Hopefully we can get something to actually play them at some point.

Apparently the subtitles are capable of quite sophisticated formatting which would all be lost if they was simply converted to SRT (assuming anyone has ever used any of the advanced formatting).

The subtitles on The Mummy are pretty much nothing more than substitutes for basic PGS subtitles and seem to exist solely as a workaround against the limited number of PGS subtitles allowed in a single file. If they, at least, were simply converted to SRT I doubt anyone would notice the difference.

Hopefully someone will show up at some point with an example of proper use of Text Subtitles (like what Toy Story of Terror did for Java titles, or Ghostbusters... or Star Trek Access..).
Pevika

Post by Pevika »

You can import TextST subtitles from *.mkv file with SubtitleEdit.exe.
Just start SubtitleEdit.exe and click File, choose "import subtitle from matroska..."
If mkv contains multible subtitles you can choose which one you want.
Imported subtitles looks like "scrambled". Dont't worry about that.
Just save imported subtitle as text.srt unicode UTF-8 format.
Now open your saved text.srt file with SubtitleEdit.exe and you can see all subtitles.
Remove odd marks from every text and save again.
Note: you must add duration to texts. They are 0,000
Simply choose "Tools" - "Adjust Durations".
Little bit work to do, but works fine!
Rudde

Post by Rudde »

Pevika wrote:You can import TextST subtitles from *.mkv file with SubtitleEdit.exe.
Just start SubtitleEdit.exe and click File, choose "import subtitle from matroska..."
If mkv contains multible subtitles you can choose which one you want.
Imported subtitles looks like "scrambled". Dont't worry about that.
Just save imported subtitle as text.srt unicode UTF-8 format.
Now open your saved text.srt file with SubtitleEdit.exe and you can see all subtitles.
Remove odd marks from every text and save again.
Note: you must add duration to texts. They are 0,000
Simply choose "Tools" - "Adjust Durations".
Little bit work to do, but works fine!
What is the reason for this gibberish being added to the subtitle? Is it the fault of MakeMKV or Subtitle Edit, and why MakeMKV the only tool around that do handle TextST?
v388482

Post by v388482 »

mike admin wrote:
Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:10 pm
Also, so far we have only a single disc with text subtitles. If you have a disc with textst subtitles, please send us the sample. To do so make an MKV file, then open the file in mkvmerge and delete all audio/video tracks. This will produce a (small) MKS file. Send this file to support@makemkv.com .
Do you still need samples? I found at least 4 discs with textst subtitles this week.