Process Monitor vs MKV: playlists not matching

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
thedigitalhobo

Process Monitor vs MKV: playlists not matching

Post by thedigitalhobo »

Ran into a new hiccup for a process that had worked flawlessly before.

Started using Process Monitor and loading the bluray in PowerDVD to find the proper playlist to rip when I run into playlist obfuscation.

On the list I'm currently trying, MakeMKV shows two playlists 800.mpls and 802.mpls with different segment maps and a file size difference of about 100mb.

But when I run Process Monitor, it shows that PowerDVD is playing 801.mpls.

Any advice?
Woodstock

Re: Process Monitor vs MKV: playlists not matching

Post by Woodstock »

800/801/802 would normally mean you're dealing with a Disney disk, and they are the different language choices. Normally, 800 is the one that will have the on-screen titles in English, the others being French and Spanish, if I remember correctly. They are otherwise identical.

When you were playing it in PowerDVD, what did you see when it got to the credits?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thedigitalhobo

Post by thedigitalhobo »

Its actually a 20th Century Fox disc, and the intro text and closing credits were in English.

Going to try ripping 800, since thats what generally works in these situations.
Woodstock wrote:800/801/802 would normally mean you're dealing with a Disney disk, and they are the different language choices. Normally, 800 is the one that will have the on-screen titles in English, the others being French and Spanish, if I remember correctly. They are otherwise identical.

When you were playing it in PowerDVD, what did you see when it got to the credits?
LG-BDNU40

Post by LG-BDNU40 »

Same here so I ripped mpls 800. The time matched; where as 802 showed less than 2:30:20 displayed in PowerDVD.

My question is why, in process monitor, the correct mpls did not display?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

The fact that 800 is the correct one and that it's identical to 801 (which a blu ray player would play if selected from a certain menu option) pretty much answers the question.

Would you rather MakeMKV presents endless duplicate playlists every time it reads a disc?

(It's already hard enough figuring out what's what sometimes.)
thedigitalhobo

Post by thedigitalhobo »

With all due respect, it doesn't answer the question at all. You're simple saying "it is what it is, so move on and don't ask questions."

So if you have a technical answer, I'd be all ears. But this isn't about MakeMKV listing duplicate playlists. Its about MakeMKV not showing the right playlist. LG-BDNU40 had the exact same experience.

ndjamena wrote:The fact that 800 is the correct one and that it's identical to 801 (which a blu ray player would play if selected from a certain menu option) pretty much answers the question.

Would you rather MakeMKV presents endless duplicate playlists every time it reads a disc?

(It's already hard enough figuring out what's what sometimes.)
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

If you're saying when removing duplicates MakeMKV should display the names of all the mpls files that correspond to that layout then I'll agree with that.

If you're trying to tell me that the playlist you found using process monitor was the one and only TRUE playlist then you're wrong. It's just the one that happens to be played when selecting a certain menu option and nothing more.
RickInHouston

Post by RickInHouston »

I'm trying to run Process Monitor and PowerDVD 10 for the first time.

I set up my filter. Remove File > Capture, start movie. Start Capture. "The current filter excludes all XXX,XXX events". There are no 'includes' being populated in the window. What am I doing wrong?

I've followed the video but can't seem to get it going just right.?.

Update: deleted process monitor and started over. All works. 433.