Extracting subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
ldoodle

Extracting subtitles

Post by ldoodle »

Hey,

I'm using SubRip to extract "forced" subtitles from DVD rips (VIDEO_TS folder rips, not MKVs etc.) to srt files. By forced, I mean foreign language bits, like Elvish in LotR.

This seems to be going well, but is there a Blu-ray version of SubRip as it only allows vobs, ifos etc. to be opened. How can I extract subs from blu's to srt files?
Woodstock

Re: Extracting subtitles

Post by Woodstock »

Graphic subtitles like VOB (DVD) and PGS (BD) require software that does optical character recognition to turn them into SRT text files. There are several utilities out there that do it, with varying levels of success.

As for picking out forced subtitles, BD most often has a separate track for forced subtitles, and NOTHING is tagged as "forced".

I find it is easiest to simply rip everything, and view the result in VLC to see which track is "forced". Then that is what I use as the primary track when I run the file through Handbrake to compress the video better.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Use DVDSubextractor which also OCRs from BD subs (PGS) and is currently the best tool around considering character recognition and usability.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Woodstock wrote:I find it is easiest to simply rip everything, and view the result in VLC to see which track is "forced". Then that is what I use as the primary track when I run the file through Handbrake to compress the video better.
I read that a lot. But I've actually (I think) found where this doesn't work:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... =15#p40223

!!
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Chetwood wrote:Use DVDSubextractor which also OCRs from BD subs (PGS) and is currently the best tool around considering character recognition and usability.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This seems to be picking out the forced only subs, even for my Two Towers 'problem', linked to above. One thing though, is it lists multiple forced tracks, which are empty:

http://i.imgur.com/vXAG4rA.jpg

??

PS: Can it natively open a Bluray folder rip (BDMV) or do I need to get the subs from the Bluray first?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Don't know about the empty streams, I also don't own the trilogy so I can't check it out.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Just doing the Hobbit trilogy, Blu-ray.

If I use Clown_BD to just extract the subtitles, with the 'Force Subtitles' box set to 'Greyed Out' so it gets only forced captions, then rip to a .sup file, the open the .sup file in DVDSubExtractor, it doesn't find any forced subs.

I recently watched the actual disc of the Battle of the Five Armies on my PS3 and there is definitely forced subs for the elvish and orc speech.

This exact process worked fine for Avatar though. I was able to get an .srt file of just the Na'vi speech.

??
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Interestingly if I check the subtitle settings for the full folder rip during playback in MPC-HC, it's set to Forced, as if to suggest it's a separate track.

Even more interestingly, the resulting MKV displays the elvish and orc speech, but I ripped it to MKV with no subs selected. As if to suggest they're burned in.

Full folder rip: http://i.imgur.com/VhoMB86.jpg
MKV: http://i.imgur.com/ySNE0Z0.jpg