MakeMKV on Linux

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
gellis

Re: MakeMKV on Linux

Post by gellis »

averylinden wrote:1.8.11 compiled and works fine for me with openssl 1.0.1h-3 from the debian testing repo.
I'll try and build that on Ubuntu and see where I get, will be a few weeks, though :(
gellis

Post by gellis »

I tried rebuilding with 1.0.1i (latest on openssl site), but no luck :(
gellis

Post by gellis »

I've found out (I think) what has caused my issue.

The bluray drive is in a bay made by Initio Corporation
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 13fd:3940 Initio Corporation
which lsusb -v gives me:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 13fd:3940 Initio Corporation
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x13fd Initio Corporation
idProduct 0x3940
bcdDevice 2.14
iManufacturer 1 Initio
iProduct 2 INIC-3609
iSerial 3 30303030303030303030303030303030
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 32
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0x80
(Bus Powered)
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 8 Mass Storage
bInterfaceSubClass 2 SFF-8020i, MMC-2 (ATAPI)
bInterfaceProtocol 80
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x8b EP 11 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0200 1x 512 bytes
bInterval 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x0a EP 10 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data

Not sure if any of the above is of much help, but I wanted to get the details above onto the forum for others who may have the same issues to find.

I'm in the process of installing virtual box to get a windows image running on Ubuntu to see if it works this way, under advice from Mike

Edit:

Installing virtualbox, XP and makemkv1.9.0 allows me to open the bluray that fails when running on Ubuntu bare metal.....
gellis

Post by gellis »

It's been a few months, and I'd partly given up trying to get this working on my server. Mainly because I'd copied all the bluerays I had through my windows laptop.

I recently got some more and it became an issue again ripping things on my laptop.

I ended up deciding it must be to be with caddy, so ordered a cheap usb->13 pin sata adapter from ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252088099863

I plugged this in and was worried to find that it's also based on an initio chipset - however a usb2 one ....

This works now I believe. I am able to run makemkvcon info disc:0 which outputs lots of info about the disc and no errors. With my old caddy I got tons of errors at this point.

I then tried to run makemkvcon --minlength=4800 mkv all disc:0 /media/raid/output/ which whizzed the drive up and then it exited.

Adding debug didn't tell me much more.

I'm going to try and test tonight if it works using the UI - the machine is a headless server and was doing this from my chromebook which has no xserver.

I'll post here later today, I hope
gellis

Post by gellis »

woohoo!

It works via xserver.

So the usb->sata cable i posted above works with my MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260AF

I'd suggest anyone else who has a drive connected via usb3 that isn't working try the above cable. Yes this is usb2....but it works!

Now to work out what's up with makemkvcon, as ultimately i don't want to have to have my laptop running with an x window forwarding from my server...
erwann29

Post by erwann29 »

So since 2014 nobody has no more gotten trouble with this device BD-MLT UJ260AF ???

because in 2017 I get the same trouble than gellis in 2014 !
============
I m currently using MakeMKV on my PC minitower, installed with
makemkv-bin-1.10.4-1.fc25.x86_64
makemkv-oss-1.10.4-1.fc25.x86_64
on a Fedora 25, compiled from source downloaded from makemkv site
On a first machine under Linux Fedora 25 , on wich I compiled the binaries RPM above, and with Product BD drive LG: BD-RE , MakeMKV works fine, to dump BD disk, and read the corresponding stream, or read the BD directly with VLC (libaacs.so.0 -> libmmbd.so.0)
=========
Now I installed that same RPM binary packages(compiled on the PC minitpwer), on my laptop, installed also with Fedora 25, but with a BD device MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260AF, the same as described in this topic.
AND NOTHING WORKS ! I get the same error than gellis and than all the ones who complain here:
========
Whats wrong ? do I need to recompile (rpmbuild) from the source, because something is related to some SSL KEY identifier specific to that second PC laptop ???

I say that because fortunately, my laptop is Installed in DualBoot with Windows 2012R2, and the same release 1.10.4 of MakeMKV. And under windows this same BD device (the UJ260AF) is working perfectly, when I dump from MakeMKV. And the dumped stream can be read from VLC (not read directly from original BD disc of course because we cannot do the same linking libaacs than under linux towards MakeMKV libs)!
===========
OH yes I have too a box initio corporation, but 13fd:3609, to support this MATSHITA, so not the same as used by gellis, when He did his first tries in 2014.
I have not yet tried an other USB3<->Sata Box
gellis

Post by gellis »

Hello,

Do a quick search for 13fd:3609 - there's a few other people who are having issues with that chipset.

I never did do any more work getting makemkv to work via the makemkvcon, rather than the x window version - but the usb2 usb -> sata cable works fine.

It seems that seller has stopped selling the cable I bought, however there's a lot of other identical looking (and probably identical inside) to try.

Of course if you want to try and find a caddy that works, that would be great - they were more expensive than the cable, and I wasn't expecting the first one I ordered to work :)
erwann29

Post by erwann29 »

Hello
Thanks for the suggestions above.

But first, EVERYBODY MUST KNOW NOW
that Interface USB <-> SATA CAN BE THE PROBLEM

=========================
So I just get out of the Box The MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260AF, from his Box:
an Archgone MD-3107S-U3 Blu-ray optical drive. This last on is seen under lsusb as:
13fd:3609 initio corporation

Then I used my old external multi-purpose adapter ( a made in germany one, blend Center-TM, but bought 10 years ago ! so this is not sell anymore) AN USB2 adapter towards SATA, with an external supply like laptop power supply, providing power for full SATA power (+12V,+5V) for standard disk, and a micro SATA power (+5V only) like requires by all the laptop BD or DVD device.

The Center -TM provides also an adapter from USB2 to IDE and micro IDE connection, and the corresponding MOLEX power supply.

Under lsusb it is seen as:
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 152d:2338 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JM20337 Hi-Speed USB to SATA & PATA Combo Bridge

============================
AND ...
MakeMKV is working now perfectly
, and I can read Directly normal BD-disk bought in supermaket or on line, with VLC on my Fedora 25 Linux Laptop!

So Gellis thank again for all your research about this subject.
Now at least , I do no more regret my purchase. The precious part the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260AF is working perfectly under Linux.

Just for Info I bought my box on amazon europe (germany) 130$. The MATSHITA alone without BOX can be found for 100$! So I just lost 30$ .
=========================

So now I can search an other aluminum box to store the BD-MLT UJ260AF , but I'm going to avoid:
ANY DEVICE With the Initio Corporation for USB <->SATA translation,

at least until the kernel developer of the USB module for Initio Device has corrected the BAD translation:
USB dialog <-> SCSI dialog on sat interface!

An other solution would be to remove the DVD-writer from my laptop and insert the MATSHITA as a replacement !!!

The problem with this kind of box, and USB device in general (USB BlueTooth, USB WiFI, etc ...), is that on market on line generally the chip on the USB device is never indicated. So It's very difficult for Linux users, to do a confident and sure purchase, without the indication of an other buyer !!!!