Complete DVD backup

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV

Complete DVD backup

Post by newbie »

Hi, everyone!

I lately discovered this software and it looks like it is one of the few softwares to to a complete backup of a video disc with all the menus, bonus and all. I'm interested in this. I have installed the program, put a DVD in the drive and tried to fiddle a bit with it, but unsuccessfully.

(there was a picture here)

As you can see, the backup button is greyed out. When I run the extraction, the software extracts the contents to MKV format. I would prefer to have the original VIDEO_TS folder (or ISO image, that is fine to me too).

Is there a command line to have a complete backup ?

If that is of any importance, my system is Debian Jessie 8.2.

Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Complete DVD backup

Post by Woodstock »

The Backup option is only available for Bluray. For DVD, only saving to MKV files is supported.

There is no way to save the menu structure for DVD or Bluray if you are converting the video to MKV files. But MKV files generally take up less space than the "backup" option.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging

Post by newbie »

Thank you for your answer. That explains everything.
demon

Post by demon »

Also, on Linux, you can use the "dvdbackup" tool (which is not part of MakeMKV, but should be available in Debian) to do a full filesystem dump of a DVD disc. You'll need to install the libdvdcss2 package for commercial DVDs, but that package can be found pretty readily.
rhollan

Post by rhollan »

If at all possible, I 'd like to see this functionality. MakeMKV's detection of likely fake titles is a godsend and I have NOT found other software to do this. While I can just play the disk, and find the main feature title that way, I generally like to backup ALL the content and structure of my media, even if I eventually just rip the main title. The whole disk backup goes into cold storage. I know this is not MakeMKV's main purpose, but if you do it for BDs, unless there is some technical hurdle preventing it, you should do it for DVDs as well.

If MakeMKV can identify bogus titles, or at least presume that bad sectors are intentional, to thwart copy protection, I would presume it should not be difficult to do this. Heck, I can offer to help.

ALTERNATELY, a means to rip all the "sensible" titles that exceed the miniumum length, and export of IFO data, so an "extract" DVD can be rebuilt from them (leaving out all the fake title and bad sector nonsense), restoring the title sets. That might be easier: rip all the sensible titles, re-transcode them back to MPEG2 , abd build the necessary IFO structure.
wmcclain

Post by wmcclain »

I have used dvdbackup in the past, and vobcopy will also mirror an entire disc. The result is a VIDEO_TS folder; you can make an ISO with the mkisofs utility. Remember to use the -dvd-video flag.

It is old but vobcopy has worked for years without error for me.
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
rhollan

Post by rhollan »

I have had moderate success with dvdbackup but find it fails miserably on disks with fake titles. Also it has difficulty with bad blocks on the DVD.

Basically, it tries to copy all video title sets, some of whick may be bogus.