Trouble with 3 titles

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Spartacus

Trouble with 3 titles

Post by Spartacus »

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Wyatt Earp
3:10 To Yuma

All three play fine as ISOs via Kodi, but when extracted as MKVs, I get only a pink screen - no video, but audio is present. Any help would be appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: Trouble with 3 titles

Post by Woodstock »

Not a lot to work with here, but it is probably a Kodi issue. What happens when you play the MKV files in a different player, such as VLC?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Woodstock wrote:Not a lot to work with here, but it is probably a Kodi issue. What happens when you play the MKV files in a different player, such as VLC?
I doubt it's Kodi. That software plays just about anything, and all the other MKVs are fine. It must be something in the conversion process. I did notice a couple tar.gz files (one of them attached here) corresponding to the movie names on my drive. Do I need to do something with that?
Attachments
MKB_v4_JESSE_JAMES_NA.tgz
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Spartacus wrote:I doubt it's Kodi. That software plays just about anything, and all the other MKVs are fine. It must be something in the conversion process. I did notice a couple tar.gz files (one of them attached here) corresponding to the movie names on my drive. Do I need to do something with that?
Don't count out Kodi as being the issue - at least, not completely. As I read things, Kodi will try to make use of hardware acceleration if available, so it is dependent upon your video drivers for playback. And if they're screwed up, things don't always work the way they should.

Which is why I suggest trying a different player - if a second player has the same issues, then it points towards a problem with the files themselves. It's part of trouble-shooting - remove the obvious potential problems, and work towards the harder-to-fix ones.

Doubts are nice, but not proof. I just went through several hours of troubleshooting on a server because the obvious cause of the problem, a disk being full, was also the most doubtful one - there was over a terabyte of free space! Just not where it NEEDED to be.... :roll:
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Woodstock wrote:Don't count out Kodi as being the issue - at least, not completely. As I read things, Kodi will try to make use of hardware acceleration if available, so it is dependent upon your video drivers for playback. And if they're screwed up, things don't always work the way they should.

Which is why I suggest trying a different player - if a second player has the same issues, then it points towards a problem with the files themselves. It's part of trouble-shooting - remove the obvious potential problems, and work towards the harder-to-fix ones.
Wow. That's wierd.

Here's my setup:
QNAP NAS w/ Emby server
Nvidia Shield w/ Kodi on my HT system
HP Envy laptop w/ Kodi

So, here's what's wierd.
Accessing the MKV files via my PC works fine.
Accessing the ISO files via my Shield works fine.
Accessing the MKV files via my Shield fails.

I'm thinking DRM, something like Cinavia? But isn't that something which ought to be stripped out? What's interesting also is that the ones that are problematic are from multi-disc sets - Wyatt Earp and Jesse James were in one set, for example. I'm stumped. Help a dumb ol' boy out?

Thanks!
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

3:10 to Yuma worked perfectly fine for me back a couple of years ago when I ripped it from blu-ray. Not a single issue. I know that doesn't help you out much, but I wanted to at least let you know that this movie in particular should not give you any issues. I agree that getting a 2nd player to try the rip out with would be good. I *think* that VLC Player (which is free) will play back MKV files...