3D MVC Issue

Everything related to MakeMKV
blofeldscat

3D MVC Issue

Post by blofeldscat »

Hello. I have lately been exploring the area of 3D Blu-ray copying, using MakeMKV, with the aim of making copies of my purchased 3D Blu-ray discs.

With 'Star Trek - Into Darkness' as the source disc, I employed two methods of ripping available in MakeMKV:

1) Ripping the main movie as an MKV, ensuring that the 'MVC-3D' box is ticked.
2) Ripping the entire disc structure.

Neither method appears to have produced the 'frame-packed 3D' I was hoping to get.

With specific regard to 'method 2' (ripping the entire disc), I scanned the ripped disc with 'BDinfo'. The only 'video' codec identified was 'MPEG-4 AVC Video'. I had expected to see both an 'AVC' and 'MVC' video codec. Nevertheless, the 'disc information' pane of BDinfo, 'Blu-ray 3D' listed as being 'detected'.

I acknowledge that there are huge gaps in my understanding of the 3D-BD format but having followed the 3D-BD ripping workflow of associated forum threads, I am understandably exasperated that I cannot establish whether or not the MakeMKV 3D-BD ripping process has indeed worked as it should; or whether I have missed a fundamental of the workflow; or have entirely misunderstood the capabilities of MakeMKV.

Any advice from experienced readers is appreciated.

All the best.

UPDATED:

Have abandoned MakeMKV as a viable tool to make copies of my 'Full 3D' (i.e. frame-packed) Blu-ray discs. Too much uncertainty with MakeMKV in regard to the 'MVC' stream upon which success depends.

Far less problematic solution is to use AnyDVD-HD to rip a disc as an .iso, mount it in Virtual Clone Drive and play via PowerDVD (v16) which is installed on my HTPC. My HTPC is connected via HDMI (Nvidia GeForce GT 610 graphics card) to my Pioneer receiver which, in turn is HDMI-connected to my LG plasma display. The LG immediately detects the 3D source.

No Cinavia issues at all (was listening to the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 stream).

Thanks to all respondents for their helpfful advice.
MrVideo

Re: 3D MVC Issue

Post by MrVideo »

blofeldscat wrote:With 'Star Trek - Into Darkness' as the source disc.

You never will, since Paramount/CBS Studios does not use Cinavia. Only releases from Sony, Universal/Lionsgate have Cinavia.
blofeldscat

Post by blofeldscat »

MrVideo wrote:
blofeldscat wrote:With 'Star Trek - Into Darkness' as the source disc.

You never will, since Paramount/CBS Studios does not use Cinavia. Only releases from Sony, Universal/Lionsgate have Cinavia.
Thanks for this critical bit of info re: the application of Cinavia which I was hitherto unaware.

Much appreciated.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

You should make a s screenshot of the boxes you clicked inside makemkv and also a mediainfo of the outputted mkv file.

I don't have issues with makemkv creating a proper frame packed mkc, the only issue is that it cant correctly flag right-eye first movies as possible with mkv (tag 14).