Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Post Reply
Chip0622
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by Chip0622 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:49 pm

I downloaded the Beta MakeMKV, inserted a Blu Ray Disc, clicked on the disc icon, time passed, couldn't find the output file. Tried again directing output to a portable HD with lots of room, no output.

If I buy a key, will MakeMKV allow PavTube's ripper to work again?

I ask because I know how to use that system.

** SORRY you were getting ripped off - willing to do my part and pay up.

Thanks.

taylorwmj
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by taylorwmj » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:32 pm

Chip0622 wrote:If I buy a key, will MakeMKV allow PavTube's ripper to work again?
Why would buying a MakeMKV key have anything to do with PavTube? They're two separate applications.

You would have no need to use PavTube if you use MakeMKV. The only benefit of PavTube is that you get a video preview and can see the result of each subtitle track.

PavTube is also some ripped off Asian-based junk application that I wouldn't trust unless on an isolated machine you can blow away (a VM perhaps). It's bug filled and does horrid with most processing.

Chip0622
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by Chip0622 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Mike has figured out a way to STOP PavTube from working by intercepting their calls to MakeMKV !!! Which I'm OK with because I don't like to see anyone's work get ripped off; I.E., I'm willing to pay.
I'd use MakeMKV but I can't get any output from it. The instruction page on this site doesn't even remotely resemble what I see when I fire up MakeMKV (beta version-downloaded yesterday).
I insert a Blu Ray disc (Deadpool), MakeMKV sees it, I pus the big button in the middle of the screen and it does "stuff" for about 15 minutes but I can't find any output files.
Help A New User??? Point me to documentation for the latest version???
Thanks.

taylorwmj
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by taylorwmj » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Chip0622 wrote:Mike has figured out a way to STOP PavTube from working by intercepting their calls to MakeMKV !!!
HAHA....what? How did you come to this conclusion? These are 2 separate applications. What did you do to prove this is happening?
Chip0622 wrote:I insert a Blu Ray disc (Deadpool), MakeMKV sees it, I pus the big button in the middle of the screen and it does "stuff" for about 15 minutes but I can't find any output files.
"Does stuff"...can you explain this a bit more?

When you insert a disc, MakeMKV should see it. You should then click on the big button in the middle of the screen as you described and MakeMKV should begin to read the disc and find all the various files/playlists on it.

After that you have to select the specific playlist, audio tracks and subtitles you want on the left tree panel. On the right side you have the output location file path and the button to start the extraction.

What part are you getting hung up on?

Also, why the need to still use PavTube?

Chip0622
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by Chip0622 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:30 pm

I "come to this conclusion" because when I run PavTube ByteCopy I get a message from Mike / MakeMKV saying I'm using an unregistered copy and it takes me to the MakeMKV site. Trust me, Mike has figured out how to cripple ByteCopy.

So I uninstalled MakeMKV and then re-downloaded and re-installed and now it's working... Sort of...

It took about an hour to do my disc but along the way I got errors about not being able to read sectors ( I'm doing it again right now to see if errors persist ).

I ~~ know ~~ the disc is OK, I just played it last night.

Perhaps my DVD Reader on my PC isn't working or isn't fast enough for MakeMKV ( which is VERY fast ) !!!

Thanks.

taylorwmj
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by taylorwmj » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Chip0622 wrote:I "come to this conclusion" because when I run PavTube ByteCopy I get a message from Mike / MakeMKV saying I'm using an unregistered copy and it takes me to the MakeMKV site. Trust me, Mike has figured out how to cripple ByteCopy.
Sounds good. Thanks for the clarification. What's the desire to use PavTube, though when you know MakeMKV is a perfectly good stable, non-Chinese ripped off product?

Chip0622 wrote:It took about an hour to do my disc but along the way I got errors about not being able to read sectors ( I'm doing it again right now to see if errors persist ).

I ~~ know ~~ the disc is OK, I just played it last night.
Did you play it in a Blu-ray player instead of your PC? Each drive can overcome physical damage (great or small) to the disc in different manners. I've had plenty of movies play well in my PS3, PS4, or other various Blu-ray players, but struggle using the PC drive. If this is a DVD compared to a Blu-ray, you're going to be even more susceptible to issues as Blu-rays have a stronger physical protective layer compared to DVDs.

Chip0622 wrote:Perhaps my DVD Reader on my PC isn't working or isn't fast enough for MakeMKV ( which is VERY fast ) !!!

Thanks.
You very well could have riplock on the drive, especially if it's built into a PC tower or laptop. Nearly all internal drives tend to have riplock on them preventing the drive from reading copy-protected content quicker than 2.0x. This is a really shady practice that drive manufacturers started with under the table and backroom deals with movie companies to help thwart backing up movies. Nowhere except in user-driven forums will you see mention of riplock. If your movie took roughly an hour to backup, I'm going to guess the movie is roughly 2 hours long.

Chetwood
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 am

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by Chetwood » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:39 am

Chip0622 wrote:Trust me,
Nope.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

Chip0622
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by Chip0622 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:06 pm

I cleaned my disc and player and then MakeMKV decoded and ripped the movie ( Deadpool ). The movie is 1 hr 49 minutes and took about an hour to rip. The output file plays fine using VLC on a computer but won't play at all on my ROKU4. Not sure what to do next... Wish Mike would answer this thread as to if I spend the fifty bucks for a MakeMKV license, will PavTube ByteCopy work again. ( I see another thread about this has been started. ) The reason for using PavTube ByteCopy is because it has TONS of OPTIONS for output which are not available in MakeMKV that I have setup and allow ripping a file that is playable on my ROKU4.

yorgo
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Left of Center

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by yorgo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Chip0622 wrote:I cleaned my disc and player and then MakeMKV decoded and ripped the movie ( Deadpool ). The movie is 1 hr 49 minutes and took about an hour to rip. The output file plays fine using VLC on a computer but won't play at all on my ROKU4. Not sure what to do next... Wish Mike would answer this thread as to if I spend the fifty bucks for a MakeMKV license, will PavTube ByteCopy work again. ( I see another thread about this has been started. ) The reason for using PavTube ByteCopy is because it has TONS of OPTIONS for output which are not available in MakeMKV that I have setup and allow ripping a file that is playable on my ROKU4.
I'm not speaking for Mike and have no knowledge of the internal workings of MakeMKV, but I would guess that even with a paid MakeMKV license, PavTube would not work. If you've tried the beta key and it didn't work, can't see why a paid version would work.

And frankly, and no offense to you, I hope it doesn't. Just because an end-client has a paid license to use software doesn't mean that a company selling a product based on someone else's intellectual property should be able to function. There is a difference between an end-user license (you have a right to use a completed product) and a developer license (your company uses a product from someone else's company to develop a completed product). If PavTube truly did not pay Mike to develop their product, too bad.

Regarding your Roku issue, I'm not sure it's a MakeMKV problem. Per their website, Roku4 supports MKV as I know you're aware. Since the file played in VLC, indicates things should be fine. You may want to check another player (ie, MPC). You may want to back up again; it seems you had errors before which to me usually indicates either problematic disc (usually the case) or bad drive. Wish I had more help, sorry...

Woodstock
Posts: 7359
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by Woodstock » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:55 pm

Roku issue: When playing the file in VLC, open the information window (Ctrl-I in most versions), and go to the Codec tab while it is playing. What Codec is reported for the video stream? Is that Codec listed as being supported by Roku? Is the audio codec supported?
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

caleyd
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:19 am

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by caleyd » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:28 am

I've been an MakeMKV licensed user for 2 years now. I am also a Pavtube user for 6 years. Today I got the popup
from MakeMKV that Pavtube was using unlicensed program and it crippled Pavtube ByteCopy.
I use both programs but like Pavtubes ability to go directly to mp4 format. Pavtube was quite a bit quicker too.
I've emailed Pavtube support for an answer and like many before me they do not have one as of yet.
I will continue to use Mikes product and convert the mkv's to mp4. It will take more time but it is worth it as
I will be using a licensed product. As for Pavtube I have requested a refund. We'll see what happens legally between
the two parties.

taylorwmj
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by taylorwmj » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:33 am

caleyd wrote:IAs for Pavtube I have requested a refund. We'll see what happens legally between the two parties.
Probably not much of anything. They're products that are in a gray-area in many areas when it comes to legalities. Since it's Mike's product to begin with that the slimy Chinese ripped-off, he's self policing at this point by blocking PavTube from using it. Probably the most he can do.

Chip0622
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by Chip0622 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:07 pm

caleyd wrote:I've been an MakeMKV licensed user for 2 years now. I am also a Pavtube user for 6 years. Today I got the popup
from MakeMKV that Pavtube was using unlicensed program and it crippled Pavtube ByteCopy.
I use both programs but like Pavtubes ability to go directly to mp4 format. Pavtube was quite a bit quicker too.
I've emailed Pavtube support for an answer and like many before me they do not have one as of yet.
I will continue to use Mikes product and convert the mkv's to mp4. It will take more time but it is worth it as
I will be using a licensed product. As for Pavtube I have requested a refund. We'll see what happens legally between
the two parties.
What do you use to convert the mkv's to mp4? I can't get the mkv's to play via Roku 4. Thanks.

Woodstock
Posts: 7359
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:09 pm

https://handbrake.fr/

Free. Under development constantly. Has presets that work with Roku.
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8

yorgo
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:28 pm
Location: Left of Center

Re: Will it stop blocking PavTube if I buy a license?

Post by yorgo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:13 pm

taylorwmj wrote:
caleyd wrote:IAs for Pavtube I have requested a refund. We'll see what happens legally between the two parties.
Probably not much of anything. They're products that are in a gray-area in many areas when it comes to legalities. Since it's Mike's product to begin with that the slimy Chinese ripped-off, he's self policing at this point by blocking PavTube from using it. Probably the most he can do.
Agreed, I wouldn't hold my breath for any financial or legal resolution.

@taylorwmj, I kindly ask that you curb the racial commentary. You posted something similarly aggressive in another thread that's now closed. Please be mindful that this forum serves an international crowd.

Post Reply