Change Default Naming of Tracks

Discussion of advanced MakeMKV functionality, expert mode, conversion profiles
angelgraves13

Change Default Naming of Tracks

Post by angelgraves13 »

Is there a way that's not too complicated to set the naming of tracks?

An example would be if I want Dolby TrueHD tracks to say "Dolby TrueHD" instead of "Surround." Another example is the video tracked being labeled MPEG-4 AVC if it's MPEG-4 and VC-1 if it's VC-1 based on codec information instead of being unlabeled and having no name.
Jenkins

Re: Change Default Naming of Tracks

Post by Jenkins »

angelgraves13 wrote:Is there a way that's not too complicated to set the naming of tracks?

An example would be if I want Dolby TrueHD tracks to say "Dolby TrueHD" instead of "Surround." Another example is the video tracked being labeled MPEG-4 AVC if it's MPEG-4 and VC-1 if it's VC-1 based on codec information instead of being unlabeled and having no name.
I don't know of a way to do this with MakeMKV, it might be possible with the GUI itself in the advanced options for default profiles but every movie is different and it will most likely be different for each disc...

There is, however, a way to do this with Handbrake CLI.

Unfortunately, this means converting something twice (first with MakeMKV, then with Handbrake) in order to get the result you need.

Also, there is no way to name the video tracks of an MKV container as far as I'm aware, I'd like to know this too, but I rarely use multiple video tracks within the same MKV.

Here's an example;

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Handbrake\HandBrakeCLI.exe" -i "D:\MyMovieInput.mkv" -o "D:\MyMovieOutput.mkv" -E ac3 --audio-fallback ffac3 -e x264 -a 1,2,3 -A "7.1 HD Surround Sound","5.1 Surround Sound","Director's Commentary" -E copy:dtshd,copy:dts,ac3 -B auto,auto,160 -R 48000,48000,44100 -6 7point1,5point1,stereo
In the above command, the important parameters related to your questions are;

-a 1,2,3
Select which audio tracks to convert

-A "7.1 HD Surround Sound","5.1 Surround Sound","Director's Commentary"
'Friendly' names for each audio track, must be wrapped in quotes

-E copy:dtshd,copy:dts,ac3
Encode audio in which format
(av_aac, fdk_aac, fdk_haac, copy:aac, ac3, copy:ac3, copy:dts, copy:dtshd, mp3, copy:mp3, vorbis, flac16, flac24, copy)
copy:* will passthrough the corresponding audio unmodified to the muxer if it is a supported passthrough audio type.

-B auto,auto,160
The audio bitrate for each track (kb/s)

-R 48000,48000,44100
Set audio samplerate(s)
(8000/11025/12000/16000/22050/24000/32000/44100/48000 Hz)

-6 7point1,5point1,stereo
Format(s) for audio downmixing/upmixing

See https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/cli/cli-guide.html for more details

Download Handbrake here:
https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

I know this an old post but I thought it might be useful to someone looking to name their audio tracks instead of being auto-named by MakeMKV

Cheers, Jenkins
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you are in Expert mode in MakeMKV, you can change the meta data on an individual track within a title.

Click on the little triangle next to the title in the left menu to expand the information about that title. Find the track, click on it.

On the right side, you can see information about the track, and you can edit the Name, Language, Meta data, order weight (helps determine what is shown by default), and MKV flags.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

I'm using the way via the GUI, but I would like to have this automated like OP indicated.

makemkv is already able to distinguish the channels like "Surround 7.1" for DTS-HD MA 7.1.
It would be great to replace "Surround" with the information displayed under "Codec". Or a shorter abbreviation like "DTS-HD MA" instead of "DTS-HD Master Audio".
michaelkruger

Post by michaelkruger »

Hello,
Has there been any advancement on this?

I would like to use a profile to automate the naming of tracks. This would make it much more efficient for me because right now I have to name each track manually and that takes a lot of time and leaves room for errors/typos.

I prefer to apply my own naming convention based on Language, Flags, Codec.

e.g.: English Director's Comments Dolby Digital 5.1

My naming convention never changes, and I suspect most people are consistent with naming conventions, so it would be great to incorporate that into a Custom Profile.

I've seen other threads requesting this, but I'm posting here because this thread seems to be the most recent:
viewtopic.php?t=6549
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4167

Please advise, thanks!
cipher

Post by cipher »

Just found this thread and would love to see this feature. Currently, I have to manually change the name for every audio track as I prefer to show the codec and channel layout. For example, here is an example of the info that Makemkv shows for an audio track.

Track information
Type: Audio
Name: Surround 5.1 (English)
Language: English
Codec: DTS-HD Master Audio
Channels: 6
Channel layout: 5.1(side)
Sample rate: 48000
Bits per sample: 24
MKV Flags: Default

The name property defaults to Surround 5.1, but I always change it to Codec + Channel Layout which would be DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 in this example. Same goes for all other audio tracks I include which means the more audio tracks I add the more I have to update.

Besides this being the last manual change I have to make before ripping, the other reason I do this is some of my plex hardware clients use the audio name in their GUI for selection so having this exact info allows me and my users to select the correct track I'd want.
renfield

Post by renfield »

+1 would love this feature.

As a W/A, it isn't terribly hard to automate via mkvtoolnix after the fact.
ddeconin@gmail.com

Post by ddeconin@gmail.com »

+1
Sodapop74

Post by Sodapop74 »

+1 for this as well. I prefer to remove all names from audio tracks and having an option to not include it in the first place would make life easier.