Video Tracking hits throughout BD rips

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jwayashe

Video Tracking hits throughout BD rips

Post by jwayashe »

I have been using MakeMKV for quite a while now and it has been flawless. The last two movies (BD) I have run through it though, Spiderman Homecoming and Cult of Chucky (both mine) have copied with what look like video tracking issues. Not sure if this is a new attempt at trying to block the copy process or a bug in the software. Anyone else seeing this? Any help or fix on the way would be great.

Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Video Tracking hits throughout BD rips

Post by Woodstock »

"Video tracking issues" is rather ambiguous.

If you play a file with these issues multiple times, do the errors occur at the exact same place each time?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jwayashe

Post by jwayashe »

Yes, the issues are in the same places each time I make a copy. There are other with the issue, but no resolution that I am aware of.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15807

As I mentioned, I have ripped a bunch of discs and I've never seen this before.
jwayashe

Post by jwayashe »

The issue does occur in the same places each time it's played and every time I rip the disc.

This is what it looks like:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15807
BrionS

Post by BrionS »

I have not seen that bad of a problem, but I have noticed that on several more recent rips the video does significantly drop in quality at one or more points during the playback (looks blocky momentarily). This artifact does not occur on the original disc and in the past my rips have been as flawless as the original disc.

This is only a video artifact, not an audio one and it's always in the same place on each ripped file (though not detectable if the movie is played using VLC or in the hardware player. Is MakeMKV doing some sort of optimization that it was not doing before?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Could that be at places where the "seamless branching" is happening, as MakeMKV splices on the next section of video?
BrionS

Post by BrionS »

It most frequently happens during scenes of high action. It's almost as if it reduced the quality to maintain frame rate. I'd expect something like that during transcoding but not during a perfect rip.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That could simply be the playback software - if it can't keep up with the bitrate, most programs will maintain the audio stream in let the video go to hell as it tries to keep up.
BrionS

Post by BrionS »

That thought occurred to me as well. I'm using Kodi to play it back onto my HDTV via HDMI and this has never been a problem in the past (though as we all know that's no guaranteed that it won't be a problem in the future). I supposed the best test is to find a video that doesn't play well on Kodi and try it on something else (like VLC). Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I am always suspicious of "smart TVs", especially when they're connected wirelessly. I plug mine in to the network, and only feed them bitrate-reduced video. :)
BrionS

Post by BrionS »

My TV is connected to my FireTV (running Kodi) via HDMI 2.0 cable and the FireTV is connected to my wired gigabit ethernet network so I don't think connection speed is the issue.
jwayashe

Post by jwayashe »

I have come across yet another movie that presents the same issue, War for The Planet of The Apes. So I tried another application to do a test rip and it came out clean. That tells me that there is something the MakeMKV is missing here. I would hate to have to through down more money for another piece of software since I already paid for MakeMKV. I also don't want to keep throwing money out for movies I can't rip or have to bump down to DVD because I can't rip BD movies.

Help me out MakeMKV, keep me believing in the product.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well, the linked-to topic of "what it looks like" lists two titles that I have ripped and played back with no issue - Pacific Rim and Interstellar.

But my playback environment is less restricted - a fast network server, gigabit networking between all components, and dedicated playback hardware that supports h.264 and similar in hardware, not software. Would I experience the same thing if I had Plex transcoding things like the other topic's original poster is using? I cannot know.

I do know that Pacific Rim plays at 1080p wirelessly to a FireTV stick, after being processed by handbrake. I have not tried playing WHILE it was being
transcoded.
jwayashe

Post by jwayashe »

So far at least two of the three movies that have given me this issue are Sony pictures; coincidence?

Also, when I rip the movies, I play them back on the local machine before moving them over to my PLEX server. In each case, the playback issue happens on both platforms in the same location during playback.

The pc I'm currently using to rip the BDs is far and away better/more capable than the previous pc I used to rip many, many BDs before this issue became an issue.