Mixed Results Ripping UHD Discs Using Leaked Keys

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
beatsntoons

Re: Mixed Results Ripping UHD Discs Using Leaked Keys

Post by beatsntoons »

My results weren’t mixed. They were rather terrible :)
But it’s early days, so I’m okay with that for now.

All discs purchased in Australia.

No Volume Keys:
King Arthur Legend of the Sword
Wonder Woman
The Revenant
Power Rangers
Alien Covenant
Oblivion
Blade Runner Final Cut
Mad Max Fury Road
Man of Steel
Batman vs Superman
Assassins Creed
Kong Skull Island
Unforgiven
Planet Earth both discs

Read Errors:
Independence Day
Amazing Spiderman 2

Success:
Ghostbusters
Ghostbusters II

reports for the no volume keys titles sent to SVQ
4kripper

Post by 4kripper »

Finally had success with The Martian. Can confirm that the Asus BW-16D1HT is nice and fast (seeing better than 32M/sec read rate).

So, it definitely appears to be the case that there are multiple versions of discs around with different volume keys. I'll keep sending the dumps from any discs that fail to rip.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

danBoi2016 wrote:link to anydvd forum post announcing that they're also able to decode with leaked keys
Is there a reason you needed to post that? It did not indicate that they were sourcing leaked keys, just that they had adopted the same approach MakeMKV is using....
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tornsanger

Post by tornsanger »

I have a LG BE16NU50. So far I have been able to rip about 50% of the discs I have with makemkv. For some reason my drive can't decrypt the rest even though it has the right decryption key for the discs. It stops when it has decrypted about 40% of the disc. I have tried to clean the disc(they are clean and have no scratches).
Can anyone confirm the same problems with other UHD friendly drives?

Thx:)
jmcguire525

Post by jmcguire525 »

Hopefully all the issues are because disks (even with the same UPC #) have different keys, that makes things harder but I'd rather it be that than being a crap shoot with drives. I've got the recommended ASUS drive and have flashed it with a few different firmware for the LG NS50, it working fine with regulars BD disks with the new firmware but has a key error every time I try it with Independence Day UHD.
lcgrzy

Post by lcgrzy »

preserve wrote:
Lovely Rita wrote:One would go through all this UHD trouble to watch on a laptop?
Don't take that as me being "snarky" just curious. :wink:
No, using laptop as playback device via HDMI to a 4K TV in places without UHD player and without carrying around UHD discs.
Same here, and I'm curious to see if I can tell a difference between a 1080 rip and a 4k rip on my Surface Book. The screen has a 3000x2000 resolution, so not far from 4k.
lcgrzy

UPDATE: Mixed Results Ripping UHD Discs Using Leaked Keys

Post by lcgrzy »

A bit of an update:

With the most recent set of keys, I was able to rip the US version of Ender's Game in 4K. There were two streams on the disc, once I installed Java to remedy an error from MakeMKV, I discovered that one of the streams was labeled HDR and the other No HDR. I ripped them both, but I don't have any way of telling if there is a difference. They both look the same on my non-HDR 1080 monitor. I did, however, notice that the UHD rip has slightly more vibrant colors than the regular Blu-ray rip. I'm guessing this is a byproduct of the recoloring process used to upgrade these movies to HDR.

Downsizing 4K Rips

I have discovered a strange issues when trying to reduce the size of the 4K rips (for smoother playback on devices that don't have a dedicated GPU, for native playback on Xbox One S without the Disc (it didn't like the MKV file), and to satisfy my own curiosity about my Surface Book screen :D ). I've run both Ender's Game and The Martian (the only 4K discs I've been able to successfully rip) through various video conversion software and the resulting files have colors that are dramatically different from those of the original file and the 1080 rip. It is almost as if the blue color has been cranked way up, everything looks grey/blue and the colors don't have any pop. This happens in Handbrake, with various settings (I'm having another problem with Handbrake involving the kbps settings, but that is probably due to my lack of knowledge with the software), in Acrok Ultimate Video Converter (which used to be my favorite way to rip blu-rays before the results became inconsistent), and with Shana Encoder. Here is where things get interesting, I also used Shana Encoder to remux the file from MKV to MP4, the resulting file had the correct colors. Trying to reduce the remuxed MP4 has the same result in Shana and Acrok, color change. I'm wondering if this has something to do with HDR, but given the fact that it remuxed just fine, I'm not so sure.

The reason I wanted to remux the file in the first place was to give it to my brother who has Adobe Premier (which has no support for MKV files) to see if a non-open-source (Handbrake), not cheap (Acrok) video converter could convert the file without messing up the colors. I will report back on the results of that experiment when it is completed.

If anyone has any thoughts on why the color is doing this, let me know. Also, if you have questions, feel free to ask.
preserve

Post by preserve »

I have added some brief information about this as the last question in the FAQ thread: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16883

And as far as that info applies to converted files, check the color space of your converted files, and if your conversion software is converting the color space, then be aware of how it's doing so, because there are different "tone mapping" algorithms that can be used, with some arguably being better than others.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
lcgrzy

Post by lcgrzy »

preserve wrote:I have added some brief information about this as the last question in the FAQ thread: http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16883
That is really interesting because before conversion, it will playback with good colors on my non-HDR monitor through both the native Windows 10 video app Microsoft Movies and TV and the scarcely updated Cyberlink Power Media Player. I guess I'll try using MPV to playback the conversion, but I don't really think that will solve the problem.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Handbrake is not an HDR-compatible program. You cannot get good results by processing HDR files through it.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Woodstock wrote:Handbrake is not an HDR-compatible program. You cannot get good results by processing HDR files through it.
Actually, if you output HEVC/H265 (the codec used by UHDs), Handbrake does retain the Rec. 2020 HDR color space. You can then playback on an HDR monitor or use a player that handles tone mapping to playback on an SDR monitor. I haven't done as extensive testing as I'd like, but so far I haven't had any issues using Handbrake with HDR files.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Interesting, because the handbrake developers say that it doesn't work, because the internal work path is only 8-bit, even on the nightly builds with 10- and 12-bit output support.
preserve

Post by preserve »

Ah... I suspect we're getting closer to figuring this out. Although both have the WCG 2020 color space, the original MakeMKV file has a pixel matrix of yuv420p10 while the Handbrake-converted MKV has a pixel matrix of yuv420p.

Here are two screenshots from mpv.io playing back a Handbrake-converted MKV. The first screenshot is the converted 4K 2020 (8-bit) image as it appears on a non-HDR display. The second screenshot is showing the MKV stats along with mpv.io's on-the-fly tone mapping applied.

https://imgur.com/a/jgPEE
lcgrzy

Post by lcgrzy »

preserve wrote:Ah... I suspect we're getting closer to figuring this out. Although both have the WCG 2020 color space, the original MakeMKV file has a pixel matrix of yuv420p10 while the Handbrake-converted MKV has a pixel matrix of yuv420p.

Here are two screenshots from mpv.io playing back a Handbrake-converted MKV. The first screenshot is the converted 4K 2020 (8-bit) image as it appears on a non-HDR display. The second screenshot is showing the MKV stats along with mpv.io's on-the-fly tone mapping applied.
Can you share what settings you used in Handbrake? I want to give it a try.

Thanks!
lcgrzy

Post by lcgrzy »

lcgrzy wrote:
preserve wrote:Ah... I suspect we're getting closer to figuring this out. Although both have the WCG 2020 color space, the original MakeMKV file has a pixel matrix of yuv420p10 while the Handbrake-converted MKV has a pixel matrix of yuv420p.

Can you share what settings you used in Handbrake? I want to give it a try.

Thanks!
I figured it out. In order to enable 10 bit color (and 2020 and all that other fun stuff), you have to use one of Handbrake's Nightly builds, the release versions have it disabled/don't come with the correct libraries. I downloaded the latest nightly build and made sure to select H.265 10-bit and it maintained the colors. Right now I'm messing around with quality and whether I want to run the conversion to MP4 or MKV.