MKV HDR?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Xjonp

MKV HDR?

Post by Xjonp »

So I was able to rip Warcraft successful. The file size is about 40gb. So I took the file and played it through plex and It plays in 4k but hdr is not detected. Does MKV files support hdr?
GoofeyGuy

Re: MKV HDR?

Post by GoofeyGuy »

Yes it does

But are you sure Plex does ?
Xjonp

Post by Xjonp »

GoofeyGuy wrote:Yes it does

But are you sure Plex does ?
I read that it does. Maybe it has something to do with my TV.
GoofeyGuy

Post by GoofeyGuy »

What are you using to play it with ?
Xjonp

Post by Xjonp »

GoofeyGuy wrote:What are you using to play it with ?
I found out my plex server is transcoding it to H.264 bummer
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Where do I look to see if my set is displaying HDR correctly? I'm new to this and so is my TV.
Eddy555

Post by Eddy555 »

Plex doesn't support HDR yet.
Nor Atmos or DTS:X.
Have to use Kodi for the moment.
Xjonp

Post by Xjonp »

ghost rider wrote:Where do I look to see if my set is displaying HDR correctly? I'm new to this and so is my TV.
See if your remote has a info button.
PaulCB

Post by PaulCB »

Note the mkv container support is only HDR10, not DV. Conversations I've seen is that there is no eta nor expectation of ever having support.
tvguy7

Post by tvguy7 »

I was surprised that I had no trouble playing HDR content using UMS.
I have an LG OLEDB7A and just used makemkv to rip my first UHD HDR disc Deadpool.
Upon playing the file the HDR logo popped up on the screen.
It looks fantastic.
atxmediahound

Post by atxmediahound »

So I have been streaming titles in 4K HEVC x265 HDR MKV format from Plex Media Server to a Roku Ultra, then to an LG 65UJ7700 TV. PlexPy & Plex server indicate Direct Play except for titles with Atmos, DTS-MA, or other advanced audio codecs the Roku doesn't support - then it transcodes audio but direct plays video. The HDR logo appears on the TV, even for those titles that are encoded with Dolby Vision, which the Roku doesn't support. Before I bought the Roku, I could only play 4K titles using the XPlay app on LG Web OS because the native LG Plex app is crap. My confusion is that everything I read says that Plex doesn't support 4K in MKV containers, but if I was transcoding 4K to 1080p, I would surely see a transcoding message, or see my procs spike on the server. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Deihnyx

Post by Deihnyx »

I have my MKV HDR working using Plex and Emby on WebOS 3.

If using Plex, use XPlay instead of the official app (It's crap)
If using Emby, I have to activate remuxing / audio conversion but uncheck video conversion for the user, otherwise the Emby app doesn't read it for some reason.

And if you use an android TV, i'm guessing Kodi + Emby is your best bet.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Xjonp wrote:
ghost rider wrote:Where do I look to see if my set is displaying HDR correctly? I'm new to this and so is my TV.
See if your remote has a info button.
The TV remote kinda sucks its one of those smaller so called smart remotes with just a few buttons and there is no display info type option. I can go into the setup menu of both the TV and the Oppo 203 and select HDR options but nothing lit up when a HDR disc is being played.
cmdrdredd

Post by cmdrdredd »

Eddy555 wrote:Plex doesn't support HDR yet.
It does, on the Nvidia shield which as far as I know is the only device that can play lossless audio including immersive audio and HDR from Plex.
dmillionz

Post by dmillionz »

Eddy555 wrote:Plex doesn't support HDR yet.
Plex on my HTPC plays HDR, Atmos and DTS:X just fine. You just have to specify to play the Original file and Bitstream the audio. But I just switched over to JRiver Media Center because it plays MKV blu-ray, 4K and 3D flawlessly from my Synology server with automated display mode switching and MadVR image processing. I only use Plex now for streaming as that's what it does best. JRiver MC as a whole and especially in Theater Mode is no joke.