I, Tonya black bars on all 4 sides issue

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dla26

I, Tonya black bars on all 4 sides issue

Post by dla26 »

I'm trying to back up I, Tonya for my Plex server, but for some reason, I'm getting black bars on all 4 sides. The aspect ratio is supposed to be 2.39:1, but it looks like the MKV file thinks it's 4:3. Anyone else notice this? Is there a recommended setting to rip it properly?
preserve

Re: I, Tonya black bars on all 4 sides issue

Post by preserve »

MakeMKV copies what is on the disc.

Did you process the file after ripping it?

Where exactly are you seeing something saying 4:3?

Conversion software such as Handbrake have automatic cropping detection options. This movie starts with 4:3-ish scenes before going to the full aspect ratio, so if you performed any type of conversion on the original MKV after ripping it, that may be why.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
dla26

Post by dla26 »

preserve wrote:MakeMKV copies what is on the disc.

Did you process the file after ripping it?

Where exactly are you seeing something saying 4:3?

Conversion software such as Handbrake have automatic cropping detection options. This movie starts with 4:3-ish scenes before going to the full aspect ratio, so if you performed any type of conversion on the original MKV after ripping it, that may be why.
You know, I think I may actually be mistaken. The reason I thought something was odd was because the screen looked like this:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (398.48 KiB) Viewed 9708 times
But I just checked a few other movies that I've backed up, and they all have that border around all 4 sides. I'll have to try playing it back on my big screen later to see if it's showing borders all the way around there as well. Not just for I, Tonya, but for all of my 2:39:1 movies.

FWIW, I haven't done any conversions or processing. I just did a straight rip.
dla26

Post by dla26 »

Yup, never mind. I'm an idiot. When I watched in full-screen mode, the issue went away. Typical ID10T error! :oops:
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

I know with MPC-HC you have two options under video - Touch From Inside, Touch From Outside. Anyway, you got it fixed!