I only want subtitles for "foreign audio" sections...

Everything related to MakeMKV
buffalo master

I only want subtitles for "foreign audio" sections...

Post by buffalo master »

...and I don't want to watch the movie first to figure out if I got the selection right.

Is there still not a solution to this after all these years? I know that Handbrake has a "foreign audio scan," but I'm not compressing my rips anymore. I want to rip a new disc in MakeMKV and just watch it. Problem is, I quite often do this for brand new movies I haven't watched yet. I buy the disc just to get the lossless MKV. I don't know if these films have sections with foreign audio. I don't want to have to think and worry about if it. I just want to rip a lossless copy of my movies and play it in Plex for the first time.

Surely MakeMKV has a solution for this, right?
Woodstock

Re: I only want subtitles for "foreign audio" sections...

Post by Woodstock »

No, there isn't a solution that is universally applicable, because there are many ways to screw up the mastering of a DVD or BD without violating the standards.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
buffalo master

Post by buffalo master »

Woodstock wrote:No, there isn't a solution that is universally applicable, because there are many ways to screw up the mastering of a DVD or BD without violating the standards.
How is this possible, though? Why can't MakeMKV just do whatever the disc does to play the correct subtitle track? If I put the disc in a Blu-ray player I don't have to fumble around with subtitle settings to get the foreign audio to show. Whatever the disc does, why can't MakeMKV do that? Is there any other program that can?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In part for the same reason not every DVD and BD really does "work correctly" in all players. The standards call for a lot of flags, which may or may not be used.

Some dual-language titles default to original language and full subtitle list, with the dub being secondary.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging