Feature Request: Do what you do without Java

Everything related to MakeMKV
Fortissimo

Feature Request: Do what you do without Java

Post by Fortissimo »

I am wondering if it is humanly conceivable to be able to make MakeMKV function fully (i.e. identify correct tracks for the user when track obfuscation occurs) without having to install Java? Eventually? In a future version?

See http://www.nbcnews.com/id/47107530/ns/t ... -computer/
Java is one of a hacker's favorite pieces of software to exploit, and this article explains why.

If there is Java "code" on various Blu-Rays, it seems to me that MakeMKV would be all the more robust if it could eventually develop a simulation "environment" for Java. I'm sure it's not easy, but I'd love to see this happen. (For all I know, maybe doing that would be a violation of copyright, but I thought it would be worth mentioning.)

As far as my computer is concerned, I believe MakeMKV is literally the only piece of software I use that has any use whatsoever for Java. I use a heck of a lot of software.

I just did a clean install of my Win10 O/S yesterday because I believe I had a virus, possibly a keylogger. Who knows where I got it ultimately, but a huge part of me is glaring at Java with an expression that would kill a dead horse. It may not be to blame, but I am simply not going to install Java ever again, period. It just isn't worth it.
Woodstock

Re: Feature Request: Do what you do without Java

Post by Woodstock »

It is possible to install Java without making it available to your web browser, which is where 99.9995% of the danger of Java hides.

The page you cite is from April of 2012 - six years ago, when the Department of Homeland Security issued a "remove as soon as possible" advisory.... which as since been retracted, because is no longer QUITE as bad as Flash, which everyone seems to WANT to install.

It is impossible to keep up with security on Flash - it's insecure by design.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
EPiPH0N3

Post by EPiPH0N3 »

For the overwhelming amount of security issues in general I, and most others who have been doing this stuff for a while would recommend getting to know VirtualBox and virtual machines. It will/can save u from a lot of headaches. Nothing is ever 100% but VM's are a solid choice.
Fortissimo

Post by Fortissimo »

Thanks, all interesting to know. I will install Java and keep it away from my web browsers, and will stay away from Flash if humanly possible. I also now have a Windows 7 VM within my new Win10 install - thanks for that suggestion.

I do still think it would be worthwhile to aspire to having MakeMKV get around track obfuscation without relying on Java. I just now installed Java, and I spent 15 minutes googling how to disable Java in Opera, my preferred web browser. Still couldn't find anything. Not trying to start a sub-thread here about what I'm missing in Opera (maybe it doesn't do plugins the same way other browsers do, or maybe Java doesn't support Opera). My only point is to say that I think the percentage of MakeMKV users who 1) know what track obfuscation is, 2) know about Java's ability to help with track obfuscation, AND 3) know that Java is insecure in web browsing and that Java can be disabled in web browsers, is probably in the single digits. Pointing to all these solutions helps me, but what about your average MakeMKV user who isn't following this thread? Just saying it would be nice to hear that this would be a worthwhile feature to work on for some future release.
paulster

Post by paulster »

Install the server version of Java (the exact product description escapes me right now). It's command-line interface only, doesn't work with your browser, but works fine for MakeMKV and other similar tools that need the functionality without the risk.
alexcoluzzi32

Post by alexcoluzzi32 »

As far as Java goes, is it acceptable to install whatever current version is up at Oracle?
I'm currently using Java 8 build 171. Thank you.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The version should not matter, as long as MakeMKV can find it, OR you can point it towards your java.exe executable in Preferences.
Batiatus

Post by Batiatus »

Woodstock wrote:The version should not matter, as long as MakeMKV can find it, OR you can point it towards your java.exe executable in Preferences.
Is it possible for someone to write a tutorial on how to set up Java so we can skip the needless nonsense Studios stick onto their discs? I've read the few posts I've found about doing so but I am not able to understand enough from the limited information listed and I don't particularily want to add a tone of Java needlessly to my system.

Thanks.
Silum

Post by Silum »

Batiatus wrote:
Woodstock wrote:The version should not matter, as long as MakeMKV can find it, OR you can point it towards your java.exe executable in Preferences.
Is it possible for someone to write a tutorial on how to set up Java so we can skip the needless nonsense Studios stick onto their discs? I've read the few posts I've found about doing so but I am not able to understand enough from the limited information listed and I don't particularily want to add a tone of Java needlessly to my system.

Thanks.
I have been a user of Makemkv for years now and did not realize this main feature functionality existed if you have Java installed. I too was not keen on doing an official installation of Java as I would prefer apps like web browsers continue to not use Java.

What I did was install a portable version of Java from portableapps.com:

https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable

Just note whatever folder you end up installing the java portable JRE. Open Makemkv, and click on preferences then the Protection tab, and you will find a section titled "Custom Java executable location". Use the file selection to navigate to the folder you installed portable java, go into the bin subdirectory, and select java.exe. For instance my path looks like this:

C:/PortableApps/Java/bin/java.exe

I restarted Makemkv and it is using java to identify the main feature now. I opened different web browsers and confirmed they are still not using Java. The java_home environment variable is not set, and no path to Java was added to global path. Thanks for those who posted about this feature, its nice to not have to google search to find the correct mpls anymore :)
gnollo

Post by gnollo »

Silum wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 pm
Batiatus wrote:

Thanks.
I have been a user of Makemkv for years now and did not realize this main feature functionality existed if you have Java installed. I too was not keen on doing an official installation of Java as I would prefer apps like web browsers continue to not use Java.

What I did was install a portable version of Java from portableapps.com:

https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable

Just note whatever folder you end up installing the java portable JRE. Open Makemkv, and click on preferences then the Protection tab, and you will find a section titled "Custom Java executable location". Use the file selection to navigate to the folder you installed portable java, go into the bin subdirectory, and select java.exe. For instance my path looks like this:

C:/PortableApps/Java/bin/java.exe

I restarted Makemkv and it is using java to identify the main feature now. I opened different web browsers and confirmed they are still not using Java. The java_home environment variable is not set, and no path to Java was added to global path. Thanks for those who posted about this feature, its nice to not have to google search to find the correct mpls anymore :)
I just installed portable Java and I followed the instructions, but MakeMKV does not identify the main movie. As a matter of fact, no different than when I install Java, JRE and point to their Java.exe files.

Not sure where I am going wrong here. Running Windows 10 64 bits.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Java works only for some Blu-ray's which have the "Java Logic" implemented. On most disc, Java is not used. If MakeMKV uses Java, you see a message in the processing window with the used path.

Anyway, there is no need to specify the Java path in the preferences. MakeMKV can detect it (at least for Windows) by using the registry entries.
Good Luck :)

Post by jinx100 »

Portable apps do not make changes to the Windows Registry by design. Though it is optional to change the registry if you want a file extension to automatically use a portable app.
gnollo

Post by gnollo »

Grauhaar wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:57 am
Java works only for some Blu-ray's which have the "Java Logic" implemented. On most disc, Java is not used. If MakeMKV uses Java, you see a message in the processing window with the used path.

Anyway, there is no need to specify the Java path in the preferences. MakeMKV can detect it (at least for Windows) by using the registry entries.
Thanks, that makes sense.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

:?: i read on somewhere i cant remember where i think it was here that makemkv uses java to help process the encrypted video file .I dont know if this means decryption or playing back file after its on your hard drive.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV includes a limited Java interpreter to "execute" the BD+ programs to generate "Fix Up Tables" (FUTs). It is not a full Java runtime.

The full runtime is, apparently, needed to interpret the menu structure for finding the correct play list. If you do not buy disks from Lionsgate, you do not need Java Run Time.