UHD Ripping failing all of a sudden...

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
deathtical

UHD Ripping failing all of a sudden...

Post by deathtical »

Hey guys, I finally got my UHD friendly drive (LG WH16NS40) and have successfully ripped "IT" and "Blade Runner 2049". Now I'm trying to rip "The Fifth Element" and it keeps failing. I have the keys that are currently available and the ripping starts but when it gets about halfway through it just stops. The logs are attached.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Log file
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 699 times
Last edited by deathtical on Mon May 28, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
deathtical

Re: The Fifth Element UHD Error While ripping

Post by deathtical »

Just tried Interstellar as well and it is also failing...
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(981.95 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
Last edited by deathtical on Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deathtical

Re: UHD Ripping failing all of a sudden...

Post by deathtical »

LEON/The Professional is also failing...
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(3.99 MiB) Downloaded 582 times
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

All your logs have a hashcheck error before the rip fails.

/errors/hashcheck/

"Getting this error usually means a failing drives."

Got another drive you can check with?
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

Navvie wrote:All your logs have a hashcheck error before the rip fails.

http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/

"Getting this error usually means a failing drives."

Got another drive you can check with?
I just ran this rip again so that I could get a successful log. This is from my "IT" UHD disc. Used the same drive for all of these. Not saying you are wrong, just that it doesn't fail on all UHD discs. Am wondering if it's a firmware issue or if the hash files I have are not compatible with the disc versions I have or both. Just a little frustrating. Don't think I can return the drive at this point :(
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(4.02 KiB) Downloaded 554 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'm more suspicious of dirty disks. In all the cases, there are a LOT of messages about "The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00###.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset #######, attempting to work around", which is most often the result of something blocking the laser. Sometimes, the drive gets past the first corrupt area, only to encounter another.

I has this a couple of weeks ago, and was going to get a picture of the "perfectly clean disk", before and after a section was cleaned with a damp cloth. Unfortunately, to the "eye of a camera", the difference was not perceptible, because the lens kept auto-focusing on the light source reflecting off the disk surface, not the surface of the disk itself, where the haze was.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

Woodstock wrote:I'm more suspicious of dirty disks. In all the cases, there are a LOT of messages about "The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00###.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset #######, attempting to work around", which is most often the result of something blocking the laser. Sometimes, the drive gets past the first corrupt area, only to encounter another.

I has this a couple of weeks ago, and was going to get a picture of the "perfectly clean disk", before and after a section was cleaned with a damp cloth. Unfortunately, to the "eye of a camera", the difference was not perceptible, because the lens kept auto-focusing on the light source reflecting off the disk surface, not the surface of the disk itself, where the haze was.
These are brand new out of the packaging. It seems odd that 3 brand new discs would have this issue. At this point, I'll try anything. Actually waiting to see if the vendor will accept a return of the drive.
rivey

Post by rivey »

deathtical wrote:
Woodstock wrote:I'm more suspicious of dirty disks. In all the cases, there are a LOT of messages about "The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00###.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset #######, attempting to work around", which is most often the result of something blocking the laser. Sometimes, the drive gets past the first corrupt area, only to encounter another.

These are brand new out of the packaging. It seems odd that 3 brand new discs would have this issue. At this point, I'll try anything. Actually waiting to see if the vendor will accept a return of the drive.

Any new disc I buy, the first thing I do is clean the disc. In the past when I have had issues, I have cleaned the disc and the problem was solved. That is why I always clean the disc first not. Just use a microfiber cloth and a mixture of 50% water and 50% rubbing alcohol. Works every time for me. Good Luck
Navvie

Post by Navvie »

I've never had a read problem with a new disc but plenty with my older DVDs and Blu-Rays; I always clean them with furniture polish and a microfibre cloth!
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

rivey wrote:Any new disc I buy, the first thing I do is clean the disc. In the past when I have had issues, I have cleaned the disc and the problem was solved. That is why I always clean the disc first not. Just use a microfiber cloth and a mixture of 50% water and 50% rubbing alcohol. Works every time for me. Good Luck
Well I'll be...

I cleaned the disc (The Professional/LEON) and it ripped with no errors. I guess with this kind of data density, even small particles could cause an issue. 1 of 3 down. Let's see if this fixes the issue completely or if this is just a fluke.
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

Unreal...

Cleaning the discs worked for all three that were failing. I have never had to do anything like that for a disc fresh out the box.

Well... problem solved.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yup. I've had to do it for every single UHD I've bought. I've no idea what the hell they're putting on these discs but it's causing all kinds of problems until they're cleaned. The "but I didn't touch it and it came right out of the package into the drive" concept doesn't matter.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I hate this fucking media more than DAT at this point. If I could get through two or three of these fuckers in a row without makemkv complaining about something it would be a miracle. Consumer UHD players must have a shitload of error tolerance built into them because these drives sure don't.
That's what we use em for though right so it's a double edged sword.
Just replace error definitions that state "drive may be failing" with "disc is dirty clean it". I've personally tested over sixty drives in the past 2 months if I had the failure rate stated in makemkv I'd be barred from walking in to any Fry's ever again I'd be returning so many, lol.
I'm grateful for the bit perfect rips but man is it work to get em done.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Trueinsanity

Post by Trueinsanity »

jonghotti wrote: Consumer UHD players must have a shitload of error tolerance built into them because these drives sure don't.
You ever notice that when you play ANY disc that is dirty or scratched, that the player just either hangs or it skips sections of the movies? this is what "players" do when they encounter anything it cant read.

When you are copying data its trying to do more of a bit for bit copy and when it encounters something it cannot read it will usually try again ( either forever or until the software programmer's encoded limit) thus resulting in failure to copy
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Trueinsanity wrote:
jonghotti wrote: Consumer UHD players must have a shitload of error tolerance built into them because these drives sure don't.
You ever notice that when you play ANY disc that is dirty or scratched, that the player just either hangs or it skips sections of the movies? this is what "players" do when they encounter anything it cant read.

When you are copying data its trying to do more of a bit for bit copy and when it encounters something it cannot read it will usually try again ( either forever or until the software programmer's encoded limit) thus resulting in failure to copy
I hear you loud and clear. I make it a habit to not get the discs dirty, even going so far to now use white gloves when handling them. I have the worst luck ripping discs that played first in my now sold off Sony X800 player. It literally took 18 times trying to get a full backup of Revenant which was one of my first discs purchased. I think a lot of it is perfect alignment of the disc in the drive and how well it's been cleaned, and recleaned. Never mind me I've got problems :-)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829