Fury

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
ElJimador

Fury

Post by ElJimador »

This is a new UHD with no hashed key yet and I'm unable to submit a dump file to generate one or to save a full disk backup. Trying to open the disk or create a backup with "Decrypt video files" checked return the message "Fatal error occurred, program will now exit" with no dump file saved, and trying to save the encrypted backup instead has failed 3 times now at exactly the same point (same # of files and folders and same size in windows properties) with this in the dialogue box:

MakeMKV v1.12.2 win(x64-release) started
Backing up disc into folder "D:/Rips/Fury (2014)/FURY"
Error 'Scsi error - HARDWARE ERROR:TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT' occurred while reading '/AACS/Content002.cer' at offset '0'
Failed to load content hash table, unable to verify integrity of M2TS files.
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00001.fmts' at offset '29637083136'
Encountered 9 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/
Backup failed

The disk is new without a scratch or smudge on it. Should I zip up what did save from the encrypted backup and submit that to svq@makemkv.com or maybe just specific files/folders if they managed to save? Without a dump file I don't know what I'm looking for or what else to try at this point.
darkedgex

Re: Fury

Post by darkedgex »

ElJimador

Post by ElJimador »

Thanks for the info. I notice in the linked "AACS versions and revisions" post by Mike that he says that MakeMKV should still be able to make a non-decrypted full disk backup regardless of the protection. Can anyone else confirm they've been able to do that with these new AACS 2.1 disks (Fury and The Patriot)? Or are your backups of these crashing in the middle like mine?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Encrypted copies you should be able to. Make sure you have the latest version. Some people have already been successful in this. Just don’t open the disc. Just dump it straight from the app if possible.
ElJimador

Post by ElJimador »

st4evr wrote:Encrypted copies you should be able to. Make sure you have the latest version. Some people have already been successful in this. Just don’t open the disc. Just dump it straight from the app if possible.
I am using the latest version (1.12.2 Win x64) and whether I go to File > Backup or just hit the Backup Folder icon (either way with "Decrypt video files" unchecked) the backup still always crashes at exactly the same point. Not sure what you mean by dumping it straight from the app so if there's some other way to do a full disk backup that I'm missing please let me know. Thanks.
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

ElJimador wrote:
st4evr wrote:Encrypted copies you should be able to. Make sure you have the latest version. Some people have already been successful in this. Just don’t open the disc. Just dump it straight from the app if possible.
I am using the latest version (1.12.2 Win x64) and whether I go to File > Backup or just hit the Backup Folder icon (either way with "Decrypt video files" unchecked) the backup still always crashes at exactly the same point. Not sure what you mean by dumping it straight from the app so if there's some other way to do a full disk backup that I'm missing please let me know. Thanks.
I can confirm I made a successful backup using Linux version. Do ensure the disc hasn’t been sitting in the drive for a while.
ElJimador

Post by ElJimador »

xmenw wrote:I can confirm I made a successful backup using Linux version. Do ensure the disc hasn’t been sitting in the drive for a while.
Thanks. I tried again from a different computer and was able to get the backup to save this time.
cbnbmore

Post by cbnbmore »

ElJimador wrote:
xmenw wrote:I can confirm I made a successful backup using Linux version. Do ensure the disc hasn’t been sitting in the drive for a while.
Thanks. I tried again from a different computer and was able to get the backup to save this time.
Just curious. What is a encrypted backup good for? I guess as insurance if something happens to the original disc? I want to add a decrypted copy to my server to stream from. If I can’t do that then I’ll keep the original in a safe place.
xmenw

Post by xmenw »

cbnbmore wrote:
ElJimador wrote:
Just curious. What is a encrypted backup good for? I guess as insurance if something happens to the original disc? I want to add a decrypted copy to my server to stream from. If I can’t do that then I’ll keep the original in a safe place.
I have never done this, but probably someone can confirm, once we have the decryption figured out, we can then make unencrypted copy or a mkv file etc.?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

cbnbmore wrote: Just curious. What is a encrypted backup good for? I guess as insurance if something happens to the original disc?
Correct. That is what a backup (usually in any application) is used for. Many create encrypted backups in case shit happens as they say.
xmenw wrote:
I have never done this, but probably someone can confirm, once we have the decryption figured out, we can then make unencrypted copy or a mkv file etc.?
Correct. Later on mount it and decrypt it.
ElJimador

Post by ElJimador »

cbnbmore wrote:Just curious. What is a encrypted backup good for? I guess as insurance if something happens to the original disc? I want to add a decrypted copy to my server to stream from. If I can’t do that then I’ll keep the original in a safe place.
Just a precaution. Maybe it's just my setup but I've had a few UHDs that have taken multiple tries to rip even though the disks had not been handled much and were nearly pristine. So anymore I always rip the disk first in addition to make decrypted disk backups for Dolby Vision movies and now non-decrypted backups for anything like this with a new copy protection (and then of course keep copies of all of those on a backup server too). That way if the disk does become damaged or lost I still have something to rip for HTPC playback once AACS 2.1 is figured out and/or MKV or other software playback of Dolby Vision is supported also.