Key expiration and time zones. A DownUnder anomaly?

Everything related to MakeMKV
OzBrickie

Key expiration and time zones. A DownUnder anomaly?

Post by OzBrickie »

Hey guys,

Thankyou Mike for allowing me to use your prog for free for so long. Very Cool :D I haven't posted before, more of a lurker really, so I want this to be praise, it's definitely not a complaint that's for sure.

I don't rip many BluRays, I would mux or re-mux with MKVToolNix more often than not. Having said that, MakeMKV is so easy and I usually only want to remove audio streams, languages and subs anyway so I have found myself turning to it more and more lately. Coupla clicks and you're gold.

Anyway I started the GUI this afternoon and the key had expired. No biggy, I was remuxing anyway, but I noticed that the key was supposed to expire on the 31st and there was no new key posted as yet. It was about 1300 in Western Australia - GMT+8, so my question is more about whether the key uses machine time, your time, GMT , UTC or what?

Just curious, and thanks again.

Cheers and Beers
Oz
Last edited by OzBrickie on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grauhaar

Re: Key expiration and time zones. A DownUnder anomaly?

Post by Grauhaar »

Nice post, but .... this happens every month ... http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17556

Buy a permanent key or wait until a new temp "Beta Key" is provided!
Good Luck :)

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, it's every other month, but yeah.

Until the beta key in this message is updated ( https://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053 ) is to temporarily set your system DATE back to 20 July 2018, start MakeMKV, then reset your date to today.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

Yeah man, I hear ya. Been using it for a while.

I think you missed my point. My question regarded the time on the 60th day, if you will be so kind as to have another look.

Indulge me for a moment please.

Imagine I was a brand new user and I downloaded the program at the exact point in time I used it at my place. I could install it and start it but not until I specifically asked it to read a physical disc would I get the message that my key had expired. Then I would need to know that there are new Beta keys posted on the forum. If I didn't I could post a question and hope I don't get flamed, otherwise I would probably ditch it. However if I was aware of the Beta keys existence, I would see that the key present in the forum on that day actually expired on that day and even though it was only lunch time I would be unable to use it in order that I evaluate the function of the software that I was interested in. Most people (newbies) aren't aware of it's ability to mux, so don't download it for that ability anyway.

The time clock hack is another issue. If your clock is too far out of whack, or your timing is coincidentally bad, you cannot access many web services due to the fact that your certificates are unable to be verified as legitimate or current. Not that I need to or can't get around this but I've lost track of the number of distraught newbies who are desperately unable to access facebook or whatever other shit they use simply because their clock is wrong and can't access the Windoze default NTP server.

I could always post a question on the forum explaining my confusion. Wait a minute...., I did!!!

Cheers and Beers
Oz
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

The beta key expiration is a fuzzy thing... not 'at midnight on the last day of the specified month'... rather sometime around 'the end of ...'. Why? Only Mike knows for sure.

The embedded key in an installer is the beta key current at the time of the version release.

As for the clock reset method, I believe Woodstock specifies that this should be done to start MakeMKV & then set to current time... a per-use thing.

Hope this makes sense/helps?
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

Yes mate, it certainly does explain what I kinda figured must be the only explanation. It's no biggy from my point of view, It can wait.

Thought it may be a bug or an oversight so I figured I would bring it up.Or maybe it's just us Aussies getting the tail end of everything as per!

Cheers and Beers
Oz
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Your patience has been rewarded... new key is up!
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

Shit hot

Thanks man. I was just today ripping Heat. Best fookin movie this side of A New hope so I really did need that key after all.

I will fork over my hard earned eventually I promise!!!

Cheers and beers
Oz
Last edited by OzBrickie on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

Can't agree with the clock thing but....... :wink:
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I do believe that the key's expiration date is tied to UTC, and it uses the computer's time zone to "correct" local time to UTC.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
OzBrickie

Post by OzBrickie »

Hmmmm. I set my clocks from my router which sets to au.pool.ntp.org so they are close enough I reckon but wait....

Although I can't tell you exactly when it expired on my machine, I opened up MakeMKV about 1330 AWST on the 31st and the key had expired. We are UTC +8 I think, so according to my drug and alcohol addled brain that means it would expire on the 31st @ 0800 AWST. Does that sound right?

No biggy man, I'm ripping and remuxing away to my hearts content again.

Thanks, Cheers and Beers
Oz