Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
deadkid14

UHD drive

Post by deadkid14 »

What's the best UHD drive I can get
st4evr

Re: UHD drive

Post by st4evr »

Well, in the tech world questions like this are difficult without any additional information as it's all subjective.

You gotta help us help you by giving us more information than just posting such a general open ended question.

What do you plan to do with it? (e.g. rip/backup, watch BDs, etc)

Some basic information on your setup? (e.g. laptop, PC, Mac, etc)

Again, help us help you.
deadkid14

Post by deadkid14 »

I'm gonna rip movies on a PC
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For ripping, you want "UHD Friendly", not "UHD Official" drives.

"Best" in what context? "Best USB drive"? "Best internal SATA drive"? "Best external eSATA drive"? "Best/fastest"? "Best/long-lasting"?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Christ it's like pulling teeth with this guy.

You can start by reading this post then:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832

There is a LOT of helpful information throughout that post.

Additional information can be found Googling "UHD Friendly".

Or searching for the same term in these forums.

In short, the most popular drives for this are:

ASUS BW-16D1HT
LG WH16NS40

Pick one. Buy one. Downgrade it's firmware if necessary. Or buy them from one of the members in this forum and be done with it.
deadkid14

Post by deadkid14 »

Thank you
deadkid14

Post by deadkid14 »

st4evr wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:00 pm
Christ it's like pulling teeth with this guy.

You can start by reading this post then:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832

There is a LOT of helpful information throughout that post.

Additional information can be found Googling "UHD Friendly".

Or searching for the same term in these forums.

In short, the most popular drives for this are:

ASUS BW-16D1HT
LG WH16NS40

Pick one. Buy one. Downgrade it's firmware if necessary. Or buy them from one of the members in this forum and be done with it.
Also can I use the ASUS BW-16D1X-U or only the ones on the list?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That Asus is NOT UHD-friendly; it cannot read them. I know, I owned one for a week.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
deadkid14

Post by deadkid14 »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:26 pm
That Asus is NOT UHD-friendly; it cannot read them. I know, I owned one for a week.
Oh it's just I really want an extremal one
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

deadkid14 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:14 pm

yeah the best thing to do is get an internal one and then put it in an external enclosure all the usb ones are hard to flash or unflashable because if you buy an new one its going to have the unfrendly firmware and hard to find/ expensive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
deadkid14

Post by deadkid14 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:22 am
deadkid14 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:14 pm

yeah the best thing to do is get an internal one and then put it in an external enclosure all the usb ones are hard to flash or unflashable because if you buy an new one its going to have the unfrendly firmware and hard to find/ expensive
What do you mean by get an internal one and then put it in an external enclosure"
chewy

Post by chewy »

deadkid14 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:36 am
What do you mean by get an internal one and then put it in an external enclosure"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRCCV44/
or
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-536S3 ... 01MRUN0HQ/

They are just empty cases, you must also buy a drive and then install the drive into the case yourself.
wallezejg

Post by wallezejg »

Hello, I'm new to all this and have been reading through a lot of the information everyone graciously shares. From what I've read it sounds best to get and internal drive and throw it into an external enclosure. I sounds best to get a "UHD Friendly" drive over an "Official Drive" and playback may be an issues based on compatibility and requirements for CPU, MB, etc... I have had several Pioneer drives over the years that I have been extremely happy with. I'm looking to get the right setup to rip the collection of 4K UHD's that I have and want to be sure to do it right. With the drives continuously and quickly evolving is there a model that someone on here has used that is newer as the list of official and friendly drives looks to have been created in 2017. I'm looking for the best rip speed and can handle the high end audio tracks...DTS Master, ATMOS, etc...I have a external USB Pioneer (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1) that has treated me very well but unfortunately when I got into wanting to rip or play 4K UHD it wasn't capable. I saw some pioneers, also from 2017 (BDR-S11J-BK and the BDR-S11J-X) but haven't really seen anything on them in these forums which leads me to believe they are not what I'm looking for. I've read a lot and just want to make sure to buy the right drive the first time and would appreciate and input from someone who has found something they are happy with. Thank You!!!
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

wallezejg wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:20 pm
Hello, I'm new to all this and have been reading through a lot of the information everyone graciously shares. From what I've read it sounds best to get and internal drive and throw it into an external enclosure. I sounds best to get a "UHD Friendly" drive over an "Official Drive" and playback may be an issues based on compatibility and requirements for CPU, MB, etc... I have had several Pioneer drives over the years that I have been extremely happy with. I'm looking to get the right setup to rip the collection of 4K UHD's that I have and want to be sure to do it right. With the drives continuously and quickly evolving is there a model that someone on here has used that is newer as the list of official and friendly drives looks to have been created in 2017. I'm looking for the best rip speed and can handle the high end audio tracks...DTS Master, ATMOS, etc...I have a external USB Pioneer (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1) that has treated me very well but unfortunately when I got into wanting to rip or play 4K UHD it wasn't capable. I saw some pioneers, also from 2017 (BDR-S11J-BK and the BDR-S11J-X) but haven't really seen anything on them in these forums which leads me to believe they are not what I'm looking for. I've read a lot and just want to make sure to buy the right drive the first time and would appreciate and input from someone who has found something they are happy with. Thank You!!!
READ this:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832&p=65772&hili ... one#p65772

And this may be helpful in obtaining one of those drives capable of UHD BD ripping ready from the start:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17829

To clear up any misunderstanding, for the most part these drives are used mainly to create an unencrypted backup of your 4K discs when used with MakeMKV. NOT for playback directly from the disc. You can playback your unencrypted disc backup afterwards in one of several ways.

How? Start here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16883
wallezejg

Post by wallezejg »

Thank you for the response and information st4evr. I really appreciate and am going to read through the posts and get a drive ordered this evening. I'm looking forward to getting some rips completed and loaded to my server. Curious to see the end result quality. Thank you again!!!