Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jonghotti

Re: Seriously

Post by jonghotti »

d00zah wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:37 am
jonghotti wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:33 am
I seriously would send a moderator a bottle of Jack Daniels to delete my jonghotti mult on here.

These searches that return all my “didn’t take my psych meds today” posts are embarrassing as fuck.
:lol:

Sir you know you have the power
To make this happen!!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
d00zah

Re: Seriously

Post by d00zah »

jonghotti wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:47 am
Sir you know you have the power
To make this happen!!
Moi? I have no power. I'm thinkin' Woodstock is the person to petition, but JD MAY not be the proper coin. Good luck in the negotiations!
Woodstock

Re: UHD drives

Post by Woodstock »

Yes, I can delete individual messages, but... the example from the last page, you removed the offensive stuff and left the subject which conveyed the idea you needed to get across, so...

Text editing of your own messages is enabled for all members, unless a moderator locks a topic.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
chewy

Post by chewy »

Newbie here, read a bit yesterday.
It sounds like the ASUS BW-16D1HT is the best drive, but only if you get a NS50? Are there versions of ASUS BW-16D1HT which do not work under any circumstance?

The 3.02 patch blocked this drive, so it must be downgraded to 3.01 or 3.00; is that correct? Can this drive be firmware changed to play UHD disks, like an official UHD drive?

Is there a pioneer drive that can be made UHD friendly? I really like pioneer.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

chewy wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:51 am
Newbie here, read a bit yesterday.
It sounds like the ASUS BW-16D1HT is the best drive, but only if you get a NS50?
“NS” service codes apply to LG drives. Asus drives do NOT use these codes.

chewy wrote:
Are there versions of ASUS BW-16D1HT which do not work under any circumstance?
Yes. Example: the external version. Buy the standard internal with that exact model number to avoid issues. That simple.
chewy wrote:

The 3.02 patch blocked this drive, so it must be downgraded to 3.01 or 3.00; is that correct?
That’s your safest bet or get your hands on the CLEAN version of 3.02. It’s out there.
chewy wrote:
Can this drive be firmware changed to play UHD disks, like an official UHD drive?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17091&sid=be536e71 ... 86c4a7fabe
chewy wrote:
Is there a pioneer drive that can be made UHD friendly? I really like pioneer.
Short answer: No. Never going to happen. Otherwise Pioneer drives would be on the known lists.

Long answer: Search these forums or Google. Already discussed/addressed as to why dozens of times including by Mike (owner/developer of MakeMKV).
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

PM sent.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
barrygordon

Post by barrygordon »

Okay, I am totally confused. I just bought an ASUS BW-16D1HT. It came with software version 3.03. It cannot read 4k/UHD disks (I only tried one, "Serenity"). It has no trouble with DVD and Bluray disks.

I only want to use it with MakeMKV. Exactly what do I have to do?

From what I have read I need to downgrade the disk firmware to 3.00 or 3.01. Which post on this thread is the best one to follow to perform this (there are a lot of them)? A really simple cookbook step by step would be super and I am sure help a lot of people.

TIA

Barry Gordon
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

barrygordon wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:24 pm
Okay, I am totally confused. I just bought an ASUS BW-16D1HT. It came with software version 3.03. It cannot read 4k/UHD disks (I only tried one, "Serenity"). It has no trouble with DVD and Bluray disks.

I only want to use it with MakeMKV. Exactly what do I have to do?

From what I have read I need to downgrade the disk firmware to 3.00 or 3.01. Which post on this thread is the best one to follow to perform this (there are a lot of them)? A really simple cookbook step by step would be super and I am sure help a lot of people.

TIA

Barry Gordon
Well there is one already. Literally a couple of posts down from this one. Direct link:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17058

Titled "100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55"
Phrehdd

Post by Phrehdd »

I admit I am trying to figure this all out as I have only a laptop which means I need to connect via USB. As my laptop handles usb3, what is the best items to get in the internal BD drive and what is the ideal enclosure that is known to work? (Obviously, I prefer an external BD player but is there one out there that really works as UHD friendly???)

If this info is somewhere here, please point me to it. I don't want to waste people's time if I simply missed it.
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

Phrehdd wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:05 am
I admit I am trying to figure this all out as I have only a laptop which means I need to connect via USB. As my laptop handles usb3, what is the best items to get in the internal BD drive and what is the ideal enclosure that is known to work? (Obviously, I prefer an external BD player but is there one out there that really works as UHD friendly???)

If this info is somewhere here, please point me to it. I don't want to waste people's time if I simply missed it.
You can get an external enclosure and buy the optical drive separately. For the enclosure you can choose either the Vantec or OWC Mercury Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-536S3 ... 01MRUN0HQ/
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UKIT/

You can buy the ready to use UHD Friendly drives from these guys.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17829

Here’s a list of UHD Friendly drives
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832
Phrehdd

Post by Phrehdd »

BlueMac77 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 am
Phrehdd wrote:

You can get an external enclosure and buy the optical drive separately. For the enclosure you can choose either the Vantec or OWC Mercury Pro.

Thanks much. I gather then there are no external drives at all and only internal drives with an enclosure would fit the bill. Am I reading the links correctly on this?

If I may trouble you one more time - just a subjective here - which player appears to be the best performer in terms of reading discs and perhaps speed? Would it be ASUS BW-16D1HT? I notice that OWC sells an enclosure complete with Blu Ray (LG WH16NS40). So, which might you choose? Thanks in advance.
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

Phrehdd wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:58 am
BlueMac77 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:45 am
Phrehdd wrote:

Thanks much. I gather then there are no external drives at all and only internal drives with an enclosure would fit the bill. Am I reading the links correctly on this?

If I may trouble you one more time - just a subjective here - which player appears to be the best performer in terms of reading discs and perhaps speed? Would it be ASUS BW-16D1HT? I notice that OWC sells an enclosure complete with Blu Ray (LG WH16NS40). So, which might you choose? Thanks in advance.
Yes it's an internal optical that you put in the external enclosure. I think the ASUS BW-16D1HT would be the better choice from what I read. OWC Mercury are sold either as a standalone enclosure or with the LG WH16NS40 already installed. Better to just get a standalone external enclosure and just choose your preferred drive.
betashave

Post by betashave »

Phrehdd wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:58 am

External "UHD-friendly" drives have become scarce. ASUS had one, but they have since changed the drive inside (I fell for this and bought the newer version...had to return it). As someone who recently went through this process, I suggest you buy the internal drive and enclosure. I did this and purchased my internal drive from one of the members on this board who has gone to the trouble of downgrading the firmware so I didn't have to go through the hassle. Works perfectly!
jhughy2010

Post by jhughy2010 »

My LG drives don't have the SVC code on the sticker. Probably means they aren't compatible?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

jhughy2010 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:46 pm
My LG drives don't have the SVC code on the sticker. Probably means they aren't compatible?
Read:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17480&p=62874#p62874

Your drive is pre-loophole or different model/internal hardware altogether.