UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
timmeh

Re: UHD drives

Post by timmeh »

I see that LG BH16NS55 is on the list of "UHD Friendly" drives. Does it need to have SVC code 50 or 55 that is mentioned for some of the other drives?

This is in Australia if that makes a difference.

Many thanks,
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

timmeh wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:30 am
I see that LG BH16NS55 is on the list of "UHD Friendly" drives. Does it need to have SVC code 50 or 55 that is mentioned for some of the other drives?

This is in Australia if that makes a difference.

Many thanks,
With that drive the best way to find out is to try it if you have the CORRECT firmware version. It has been reported it can work best with 1.01. So, did you try it? If so, what happens?
timmeh

Post by timmeh »

st4evr wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:58 am
With that drive the best way to find out is to try it if you have the CORRECT firmware version. It has been reported it can work best with 1.01. So, did you try it? If so, what happens?
I haven't purchased yet and the store is not likely to let me have a look at the drive before buying.

I understand that even if it comes with firmware 1.03 I can downgrade it using the guide on this forum.

My question is really whether this firmware downgrade can be performed on ALL BH16NS55 or if it's limited to just those with certain SVC codes?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@ timmeh,

I have 2 of these drives. They have SVC Code NS55 on them. I bought one in December 2017 and the other in January 2018.

The first one came with firmware 1.02 which works perfectly fine.

The second one had firmware 1.03 which is not UHD friendly, so I cross-flashed it to ASUS 3.01 then upgraded it to 3.02 and it also works great.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Chuck_IV

Post by Chuck_IV »

So it seems ASUS has stopped putting(or doesn't to begin with) the SVC code on the label(at least not in Enslish). Just picked this up as a backup to my LG(which works fine). How do I go about checking which version I have or is it relevant since I see that supposedly if it was manufactured after 2015(in this case May 2018), it is a NS50...
Asus.jpg
Asus.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 20974 times
Attachments
Asus.jpg
Asus.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 20977 times
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Chuck_IV wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:18 pm
So it seems ASUS has stopped putting(or doesn't to begin with) the SVC code on the label(at least not in Enslish). Just picked this up as a backup to my LG(which works fine). How do I go about checking which version I have or is it relevant since I see that supposedly if it was manufactured after 2015(in this case May 2018), it is a NS50...
1. READ this:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16832&p=65023&hili ... ice#p65023

2. MakeMKV has ALWAYS reported the firmware version of the drive(s) it detects. When you install the drive and view the drive’s info with MakeMKV, what does it say? It’s the only way to find out for sure with Asus drives. But based on that manufacture date alone you may have to downgrade.
Chuck_IV

Post by Chuck_IV »

st4evr wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:15 pm
Chuck_IV wrote:
1. READ this:

2. MakeMKV has ALWAYS reported the firmware version of the drive(s) it detects. When you install the drive and view the drive’s info with MakeMKV, what does it say? It’s the only way to find out for sure with Asus drives. But based on that manufacture date alone you may have to downgrade.
Its not so much the firmware I'm worried about(I downgraded my LG). I expect to have to do that. I just want to make sure it's isn't an SVC NS40 drive(vs the correct NS50). But based on what I'm reading, since about 2015, all of these model drives are SVC NS50's(I think).
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Chuck_IV wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:16 pm
st4evr wrote:
Chuck_IV wrote:
1. READ this:

Its not so much the firmware I'm worried about(I downgraded my LG). I expect to have to do that. I just want to make sure it's isn't an SVC NS40 drive(vs the correct NS50). But based on what I'm reading, since about 2015, all of these model drives are SVC NS50's(I think).
you are good you just need to downgrade you have the same LG DMBH16NS40 internal drive as all the asus's that i have flashed so far when that model number changes then its time for us to worry
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

SVC codes are not relevant to ASUS drives. They are only for the LG drives. Your ASUS is good if manufactured after 2015 and has firmware 3.00 - 3.01 (or the late 2017 version of 3.02). Firmware version 3.03 is not UHD Friendly and will need to be downgraded.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

WH16NS60, service code NS60, still flashable to ASUS and is the only drive Ive seen in person that actually SAYS ultra hd blu ray, using the correct font, on the front bezel.

Heavier and seemingly much higher quality than the WH16NS40, like in a whole other league.

I’m buying two copies of anything you guys suggest and am going to run this head to head against the mighty ASUS for say 6-8 full disc backup cycles.

Same computer, sata ports side by side, two of the same hard disk drives as targets, same version of MakeMKV with two instances of the program running.

Am I missing anything that would negate this as a valid head to head speed test?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Chuck_IV wrote:
st4evr wrote:
Chuck_IV wrote:
1. READ this:

I mean... Damn I could not have made it clearer with my post (specifically the direct link provided) that “NS” service codes are irrelevant for Asus drives. But I guess some people don’t read now a days. :roll:

But someone else here already kindly mentioned that as well in a post above anyways. So, just check the firmware and if it’s 3.02 or above just downgrade dude.
Chuck_IV

Post by Chuck_IV »

st4evr wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:44 am
Chuck_IV wrote:
st4evr wrote:

1. READ this:

I mean... Damn I could not have made it clearer with my post (specifically the direct link provided) that “NS” service codes are irrelevant for Asus drives. But I guess some people don’t read now a days. :roll:

But someone else here already kindly mentioned that as well in a post above anyways. So, just check the firmware and if it’s 3.02 or above just downgrade dude.
Yep, completely missed the link. Was running out the door and posted quickly. My apologies.

Anyway, I was able to downgrade the Asus drive just fine(using Teddy's guide). And while I was at it, I cross-flashed my LG, which had been running 1.02 to the Asus 3.02 firmware.
Commodore128

Post by Commodore128 »

I am looking at getting this drive:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

It's a WH14NS40 so from what I have read it would need to have SVC NS50. Is there any way of knowing what I will get here? Is there a chance this does not have NS50 or do all the new ones have it? I understand I would likely need to downgrade the firmware as well.

Thanks!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Commodore128 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:35 pm
I am looking at getting this drive:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

It's a WH14NS40 so from what I have read it would need to have SVC NS50. Is there any way of knowing what I will get here? Is there a chance this does not have NS50 or do all the new ones have it? I understand I would likely need to downgrade the firmware as well.

Thanks!
no there is no way to know for sure but its pretty likely to be the right svc ns50 all the new ones for now are that code the old ones are not. if it is new you will need to downgrade the firmware for sure.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Dazler

Post by Dazler »

Hi,

Question for those with external and internal drives.
1.Is there a big difference time wise when burning a 4K movie using internal connection versus external USB 3

2.Also would the external Asus BW-16D1X-U work?
If not what is a good driver easy to get going and from where should I buy it, Im located USA.
If is internal I would get the Vantec NST-536S3 USB 3.0 External Enclosure

Thanks.