100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Locked
joshuagoard
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS

Post by joshuagoard » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:13 pm

mike admin wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:29 pm
joshuagoard wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:17 pm
Nope. Just flashed away...screwed?
Depends, most likely no. How does the drive identifies itself? Is it visible at all? If yes, what is the manufacturer and model name?
Identifies itself as Asus bw-16d1ht
Firmware 3.02

I flashed it from the LG firmware 1.02 to bh14ns40_n1.00-a4_patched.exe
Worked fine and then I flashed the Asus_bw16d1ht_3.02.bin

Normally, I wouldn't just go flashing random stuff, but I already had a working drive that could rip 4K and I only paid about 30 bucks for this drive, so it was worth the risk.

It's a first gem LG wh14ns40 drive. The one with the rounded eject button.

joshuagoard
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by joshuagoard » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:13 pm

So i tried the unbrick tool. I can successfully flash other firmware, and the drive is recognized and opens and closes but says No Disk...

joshuagoard
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by joshuagoard » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:13 pm

No suggestions huh? Bummer. Looks like it's a paper weight...lol At least it was cheap and I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject now.

So quick question. If I were to buy a drive that was on 1.03, with the unlocked flasher, to downgrade, is it a simple flash with the lower firmware?

Or do i first need to dump the drive's firmware and then use it's dumped firmware info to create a modified lower firmware which I would then flash?

Billycar11
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by Billycar11 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm

It's best to dump first so you have a back up I dont think you can use the unlocked flaher to downgrade only upgrade or you can get one from me I have 2 left pre flashed
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17831

joshuagoard
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by joshuagoard » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:25 pm

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm
It's best to dump first so you have a back up I dont think you can use the unlocked flaher to downgrade only upgrade or you can get one from me I have 2 left pre flashed
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17831
Actually got one on the way already...thanks.

ImCoKeMaN
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by ImCoKeMaN » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:49 pm

This process works great if you have a PC that will work with Dosflash, but I see in the thread Mike mentions a new program that would come out to make it even easier. Is there any update on that? It seems like many month's ago and I'm curious if there were issues or if it's not coming out etc.


Also, thanks Teddyraspin for all your support to the community with this!

jonghotti
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by jonghotti » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:27 am

.
Last edited by jonghotti on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

d00zah
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by d00zah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:38 am

Be careful. That's at least a misdemeanor, depending on who/where. :shock:

jonghotti
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Earth

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by jonghotti » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:07 am

.
Last edited by jonghotti on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billycar11
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by Billycar11 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:25 am

ImCoKeMaN wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:49 pm
This process works great if you have a PC that will work with Dosflash, but I see in the thread Mike mentions a new program that would come out to make it even easier. Is there any update on that? It seems like many month's ago and I'm curious if there were issues or if it's not coming out etc.


Also, thanks Teddyraspin for all your support to the community with this!
no update on this that i know of im still waiting for WH16NS60 support so i can fix the sleep bug for people

CSmuggler
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by CSmuggler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:00 am

Hi All,

I too just received a ASUS BW-16D1HT with 3.0.3.

While I'm pretty technical, I'm not going to chance making a mistake in updating the firmware from the dump of 3.0.3.

Would someone " @Teddyraspin ?" (Thanks for your great work! BTW) create a 3.0.1 firmware for me from the 3.0.3 dump?

I'd be eternally grateful!

Thank you VERY much!

CSmuggler
Attachments
ASUS 3.0.3 CSmuggler FW.zip
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 67 times

Billycar11
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by Billycar11 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:29 am

CSmuggler wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:00 am
Hi All,

I too just received a ASUS BW-16D1HT with 3.0.3.

While I'm pretty technical, I'm not going to chance making a mistake in updating the firmware from the dump of 3.0.3.

Would someone " @Teddyraspin ?" (Thanks for your great work! BTW) create a 3.0.1 firmware for me from the 3.0.3 dump?

I'd be eternally grateful!

Thank you VERY much!

CSmuggler
urf remember everyone this will only work on his drive dont flash this to yours i see someone else downloaded it when he has not been online yet

attachment deleted to save forum space.
Last edited by Billycar11 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

CSmuggler
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by CSmuggler » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:31 am

Thank you for your help. Going to flash it now. I'll let you know the results. Thanks!

CSmuggler

CSmuggler
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by CSmuggler » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 am

So I was successful in downgrading to 3.0.1 with your help. Thank you.

I have a few questions at this point.

Since I’m down to 3.0.1, does this mean that I can just update to 3.0.2 without having to hexedit? Is there any real benefit to 3.0.2? (Of course not the locked one.

And lastly, I’ve transferred a few so far, but for some reason Bridge on the River Kwai? And CE3K won’t even mount on the desktop... so they clearly won’t work in MakeMKV. Does anyone know by these specific discs won’t even mount? Will the 3.0.2 update help this? Or should I never go further than 3.0.1.

Billycar11
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: 100% Firmware Downgrade for ASUS BW-16D1HT and LG BH16NS55

Post by Billycar11 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:35 pm

CSmuggler wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:14 am
So I was successful in downgrading to 3.0.1 with your help. Thank you.

I have a few questions at this point.

Since I’m down to 3.0.1, does this mean that I can just update to 3.0.2 without having to hexedit? Is there any real benefit to 3.0.2? (Of course not the locked one.

And lastly, I’ve transferred a few so far, but for some reason Bridge on the River Kwai? And CE3K won’t even mount on the desktop... so they clearly won’t work in MakeMKV. Does anyone know by these specific discs won’t even mount? Will the 3.0.2 update help this? Or should I never go further than 3.0.1.
You can just update to 3.02 with the firmware tool not with dos flash but I also could have just made you a 3.02 if you asked but I don't think there is any advantage to it. I don't think those disks will get fixed with firmware I would try cleaning them see if that fixes it.

Locked