b_dogg623

Re: UHD drives

Post by b_dogg623 »

d00zah wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm
b_dogg623 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:21 pm
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone else may have run into this problem that I can't seem to figure out. I purchased an LG WH16NS40 from jonghotti (Alex) and threw it in a Vantec NST-536S3-BK SATA to USB3 enclosure. The problem is I have tried it on my Win7 HTPC as well as my Win10 laptop and both can't detect it properly. It keeps being installed as a ASMT 2115 USB device under disk drives and not under DVD/CD-ROM. It does not show up in My Computer on either OS under disk drives or DVD-Rom. Not sure what to do at this point and google has no info on this particular scenario as it detects fine but, as incorrect device. Any input or assistance is appreciated.
Do you see it detect/display any differently with another optical drive installed in the enclosure?
Fails same exact way w/ 2 diff LG drives and the Asus BW16D1HT as well. Starting to think this is a failure or issue w/ the Vantec enclosure itself.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

b_dogg623 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:40 pm
Fails same exact way w/ 2 diff LG drives and the Asus BW16D1HT as well. Starting to think this is a failure or issue w/ the Vantec enclosure itself.
The bad enclosure was my suspicion. If it's matter of validating the new drives, crack the PC case & use internal SATA/power connections (without mounting the drive). Should be just that simple to rule out bad drives.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

The moral of this story is never delete your cdrom.sys file :-)
Last edited by jonghotti on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
joshuagoard

Post by joshuagoard »

For those of you considering buying a UHD drive from someone from the forum, I recently bought one from @jonghotti and it works perfect. Competitive pricing and extremely helpful. I would purchase from him again in a heartbeat...no question. Plus the guy is just a cool dude. If you are considering getting one...he's your man.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Thanks Josh.
Last edited by jonghotti on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

jonghotti wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:30 am
It's the end of an era, Fry's Electronics has put all LG Optical drives on clearance, meaning soon they'll no longer be carrying them!
Something about poor sales ever since they restocked the shelves with all year 2018 built models :-)
Anyone looking for a WH16NS60 official UHD drive I can get them at Frys for 40 under the lowest price you’ll find online and flash them to ASUS 3.02 UHD friendly for ya.

Get your order in soon they won’t ship these.
Shaneacook1989

Post by Shaneacook1989 »

jonghotti wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 pm
jonghotti wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:30 am
It's the end of an era, Fry's Electronics has put all LG Optical drives on clearance, meaning soon they'll no longer be carrying them!
Something about poor sales ever since they restocked the shelves with all year 2018 built models :-)
Anyone looking for a WH16NS60 official UHD drive I can get them at Frys for 40 under the lowest price you’ll find online and flash them to ASUS 3.02 UHD friendly for ya.

Hey jon, i would be interested and have a couple questions. If you dont mind shooting me an email when you get a chance i would appreciate it.
Shanealancook@gmail

Thanks,
Shane
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Hi everyone right now i can get a good deal on asus drives and ship them to you for $120 there is only 1 hour left on the sale its $30 off, i also have an LG for $100 ready to ship

just email me at Billycar5924@gmail.com

edit sale is over ordered one so someone gets a good deal.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
sxotty

Post by sxotty »

Quick question about ripping.

I purchases a WH14NS40 it came with ROM 1.03. I successfully ran eeprom mover and downgraded the rom to 1.02.

Then I loaded up MakeMKV and tried to rip Bourne Supremacy, but the rip failed. MakeMKV hung about 19 minutes into the operation. I enabled debug in preferences, but do not see the file. The BR drive made the noise for searching chunk chunk a lot for awhile, then sort of stopped, then a couple more times, but I am not really sure what the issue is. Any suggestions to try and isolate if it is just a software or hardware.

When I reloaded makemkv it said no optical drive found.

The disc drive dissapeared from my computer as well though after all the chunk chunk chunking. Does that mean the firmware is bad somehow?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

sxotty wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 pm
Quick question about ripping.

I purchases a WH14NS40 it came with ROM 1.03. I successfully ran eeprom mover and downgraded the rom to 1.02.

Then I loaded up MakeMKV and tried to rip Bourne Supremacy, but the rip failed. MakeMKV hung about 19 minutes into the operation. I enabled debug in preferences, but do not see the file. The BR drive made the noise for searching chunk chunk a lot for awhile, then sort of stopped, then a couple more times, but I am not really sure what the issue is. Any suggestions to try and isolate if it is just a software or hardware.

When I reloaded makemkv it said no optical drive found.

The disc drive dissapeared from my computer as well though after all the chunk chunk chunking. Does that mean the firmware is bad somehow?
Start here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14702

read both pages.
sxotty

Post by sxotty »

Thank you for the response. I read the referenced pages, I then added exception and ran MakeMKV as administrator and the drive showed up in explorer and MakeMKV again, but the end result is the same. It gets part way through (about 25-30%), MakeMKV becomes unresponsive the drive starts endlessly seeking and gets quite hot near the power and SATA connectors. Task manager shows that nothing is being written to the HDD and I ended the task. I think I might try the 1.01 firmware instead and see if that resolves the problem, but I am not very sure that it will work. I will also try another 4k disc and see if that is helpful.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

sxotty wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 am
Thank you for the response. I read the referenced pages, I then added exception and ran MakeMKV as administrator and the drive showed up in explorer and MakeMKV again, but the end result is the same. It gets part way through (about 25-30%), MakeMKV becomes unresponsive the drive starts endlessly seeking and gets quite hot near the power and SATA connectors. Task manager shows that nothing is being written to the HDD and I ended the task. I think I might try the 1.01 firmware instead and see if that resolves the problem, but I am not very sure that it will work. I will also try another 4k disc and see if that is helpful.
Read this:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17533&p=63179&hilit=Cloth#p63179

The suggestions there may help.
WhiteFeather

Post by WhiteFeather »

jonghotti wrote:

I am interested in one of these drives. Doesn't seem to be a way to PM you directly on these forums.

Thanks!
Last edited by WhiteFeather on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

WhiteFeather wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:38 am
jonghotti wrote:

I am interested in one of these drives. Doesn't seem to be a way to PM you directly on these forums. You can reach me at ...

Thanks!
I believe we have connected.
sxotty

Post by sxotty »

st4evr wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:19 am
sxotty wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 am
... I think I might try the 1.01 firmware instead and see if that resolves the problem, but I am not very sure that it will work. I will also try another 4k disc and see if that is helpful.
Read this:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17533&p=63179&hilit=Cloth#p63179

The suggestions there may help.
I did try cleaning it just with a cloth b/c it did look strange straight from the package. It still failed, but I never got around to cleaning with solution. After putting 1.0 firmware on drive it worked fine. There was not a 1.01 in the clean firmware 7z file. I still have no idea if the 1.02 had some error in the firmware, the write (though it said successful) or it is some wonky thing with this disc and 1.02, but I am very happy it functioned with the 1.0 firmware. Thank you everyone for your work and investigation in this topic. It is great to have a successful effort. Now I can expand my UHD collection and have an excuse to get a better HTPC since my current one cannot even play the file without jerking (and yes I read this is common in the FAQ).