Feature Request: Preview Window in MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
rcork

Feature Request: Preview Window in MakeMKV

Post by rcork »

It would be great to have a preview window in MakeMKV, similar to what you used to have in DVDShrink. MakeMKV can already decrypt, seems like previewing could be done using ffmpeg libraries.
setarip_old

Re: Feature Request: Preview Window in MakeMKV

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

What would be the benefit of a preview window?

Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Actually this would be a godsend.

It would greatly help with figuring out which episodes were which on episodic content (TV series, mostly). Now I manually have to play each episode a bit then match it up with the comparable track on the DVD / BD. It wouldn't eliminate the needed work but would reduce it a bit, presuming that I actually hung around and viewed the content.

Also, DVD Shrink (at least my version) lets you play a preview before ripping. This would have similar beneficial effects in deciding which extra content etc. to rip/keep.

Marc
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Figuring out the order of TV episodes is probably the most important usage. I've ripped a few series, and assumed that the tracks were in the right order, only to find out later that I've named the episodes wrong.

It would also be helpful in finding the edition you want when ripping a movie with seamless branching, like Pixar movies, which has titles and signs in many different languages.

Other usages would be figuring out the correct subtitles to rip. The Simpsons Movie is on example. It has four subtitles for each language. Two tracks are subtitles for the commentary tracks. One is a regular subtitling of the original audio, while the last is a subtitle track for the local dub, i.e. it only contains translations of signs and other stuff that's not spoken.

Of course, the streaming server and VLC can be used for much of this, but it's a bit of a kludge. Having the possibility to just click on "preview" in MakeMKV and see what you're about to rip immediately, would absolutely be very useful.
dandirk

Post by dandirk »

I would love a built in player if possible.... For all the reasons mentioned.... Figuring which track to rip, which sub/forced sub is correct etc.
daiei27

Post by daiei27 »

+1000 for this feature. I am sure there are at least that many people out there that would love this. :mrgreen:
spamtom

Post by spamtom »

Wow, i cant believe more people have not requested this. This would be such a useful feature. I often want to remove any directors commentary etc, but most dvds don't label them as such. A preview window would be really useful. Not to mention figuring out which episodes are which. Any chance this might happen? :D
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

I agree this would be a great feature. I use such features on other software all the time...
schneifu

Post by schneifu »

+1 for me as well. This will allow me to cut out using DVDFab to pick the correct title.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

It's planned, but not in the near future, unfortunately.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

Ok, I'm going to dig up this old thread...

Very glad to hear that this feature is in the plans, and since the last post was from over a year ago, I just thought I'd ask whether we're any closer to seeing this implemented.

Thanks!!
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
sgibbers17

Post by sgibbers17 »

I would also like to have this feature. It would be very useful in figuring out witch forced subs are needed. Along with identifying the correct episodes on a disc.
leee9

Post by leee9 »

Yep. I signed up for this board entirely to request this feature. Thanks!
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

It's probably still on the to-do list, and not near the start.

Regardless, one can simply use VLC to check the title of the episode you are ripping (Start the episode, right-click, Playback, title, and it says which one). I find this is even better because the menu allows me to see for certain which number it is, rather than trying to match up the first few minutes of a video, especially when it is something like Game of Thrones, which every vid has a 2 min opening credits.

It also has the advantage of checking which subtitle stream (RIght Click, subtitles, ).

Very quick and easy to do, and it ensures you're getting the right one.
barrygordon

Post by barrygordon »

What version of VLC does this? When I try what you suggest, Playing back the ripped mkv of a single episode, the title submenu is greyed out, not able to be selected. I am running VLC 2.2.1.