Fedora 29 Application Failed to Initialize

The place to discuss linux version of MakeMKV
sprocket888

Fedora 29 Application Failed to Initialize

Post by sprocket888 »

I recently upgraded to Fedora 29 from 27.

I can't recall if makemkv worked after the update or not, but I recently D/L 1.14.2 and compiled the oss package and installed it and the bin package. Now when I run it I just get a pop-up that says "Application failed to initialize". I am launching it from the command line in hopes of catching some type of error or output, but there is nothing.

I have a laptop that is also running Fedora 29, but makemkv is OK on that (However, it does not have an optical drive so that is not very helpful). This makes me think it is something about the configuration on the particular set up on the failing machine. (FYI I did take the 1.14.2 binaries from the working laptop and put them in the failing PC and the same error happened)

I have seen a few posts with this error on the board but none of the resolutions seem to work in my case, so far.

Rather than get suggestions (Because there is very little to go off of) can someone advise a way to troubleshoot this like commands to check or someway to see where the application is failing?
bysmalin

Re: Fedora 29 Application Failed to Initialize

Post by bysmalin »

I have the same issue on Fedora 25.

On F25, MakeMKV 1.12.0 compiles and runs fine. MakeMKV 1.14.2 compiles but fails when I try to run it. A message "Failed to initialize" appears in a popup.

If I run makemkvcon with just about any arg, say makemkvcon x, the program exits with error "Failed to initialize".

I ran the program in strace hoping I could find a workaround. The program seem to fail after trying to read .MakeMKV/_private_data.tar.

If .MakeMKV does not exist.

stat("/home/user/.MakeMKV/_private_data.tar", 0x7fff20b62360) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, "Failed to initialize\n", 21Failed to initialize
) = 21

If the file that belongs to the previous version is there, some of it is read and the program fails right after.

open("/home/user/.MakeMKV/_private_data.tar", O_RDONLY) = 8
fstat(8, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0640, st_size=108032, ...}) = 0
pread64(8, "--index-FA5CF4D498C3C61A477D0D37"..., 2048, 105984) = 2048
fsync(8) = 0
close(8) = 0
write(2, "Failed to initialize\n", 21Failed to initialize
) = 21

_private_data is not created by 1.14.2 during startup. It is by 1.12.
sprocket888

Post by sprocket888 »

So I was trying to figure out ways to run the command makemkv and get something useful. I came across a suggestion when troubleshooting a Linux executable to run strace as that can sometimes tip off problems.

I did this, however, I really am not sure what I am looking for......nothing jumped out as terrible except there seemed to be a lot of file not found messages.

Not sure if anyone can see anything in this that would be a clue to what might be going on.

https://pastebin.com/iwiuXXKz
sprocket888

Post by sprocket888 »

Small update (Still not working) but a little more data.

I found this comment (Thanks Woodstock) with old releases.

So in my current machine I starting rolling back

1.14.2 => Failed to initialize
1.14.1 => Failed to initialize
1.14.0 => Failed to initialize
1.12.3 => Works!

Separate from the rollback versions I tried removing the .MakeMKV dir and start 1.14.2 and it still fails (basically what bysmalin commented on above)
RalphG

Post by RalphG »

I too have been experiencing this issue. The problem on my system seems to be the version of libavcodec that makemkvcon is trying to link to:

usr/bin/makemkvcon: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.57: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have libavcodec.so.56 and libavcodec.so.58
crhrwc

Post by crhrwc »

Just to note here, the way I was able to get 1.14.2 (and now 1.14.3) to run on F25 was to run F28 in a VM and install MakeMKV 1.14.2 there.
Fedora Linux.
What's a "Windows?"
sprocket888

Post by sprocket888 »

Update:

I was FINALLY able to get past this error thanks to the discovery by bib1963 Here.

Hopefully this helps someone else too.