Which Video Track?

The place to discuss Mac OS X version of MakeMKV
Kappabear

Which Video Track?

Post by Kappabear »

Hi there,

I'm a long time MakeMKV & Handbrake user, and I'm great at using both of them when it comes to really easy, basic rips. However, if MakeMKV shows multiple tracks, as in the instance of Incredibles 2 that I just bought for my daughter, how do I determine the correct track to rip, and load into Plex? I've NEVER known how to figure this out, and would welcome some instructions or insights in determining this on the Mac. For instance in MakeMKV v1.14.2, the standard "Incredibles 2" DVD shows multiple titles, each with 36 chapters, 5.7 GB and 2 different angles. Which one of these do I rip? As far as I can tell, Apple's DVD Player doesn't provide me with any useful information other.

Thanks in advance!
Lovely Rita

Re: Which Video Track?

Post by Lovely Rita »

Apples DVD Player shows you which title it’s playing.

Easier to see when it’s not in full screen mode, when the rectangular silver control panel (mimics an lcd screen) appears. You can click on Title to see the number then compare with the three that Makemkv shows. :wink:

The only difference in the 3 would be the title languages displayed at the beginning, English, Spanish and French.

Another thing that comes into play, for comparison, of titles is the “minimum title length” setting in makemkv.
What is yours set at?
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
Kappabear

Post by Kappabear »

Lovely Rita wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:44 am
Apples DVD Player shows you which title it’s playing.

Easier to see when it’s not in full screen mode, when the rectangular silver control panel (mimics an lcd screen) appears. You can click on Title to see the number then compare with the three that Makemkv shows. :wink:

The only difference in the 3 would be the title languages displayed at the beginning, English, Spanish and French.

Another thing that comes into play, for comparison, of titles is the “minimum title length” setting in makemkv.
What is yours set at?
In the Apple DVD Player, clicking the Title button below Menu, doesn't seem to do anything.
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.27.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.27.47 AM.png (166.88 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
However, if I go up to the Go menu, and select Title from there, I see that Title #1 is playing:
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.38.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.38.11 AM.png (708.51 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
But what does that correspond to in MakeMKV?
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.50.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.50.35 AM.png (235.84 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
Should I be attempting to compare and match the chapters shown during playback in Apple DVD Player, with the chapters listed in MakeMKV under each Title, to determine which title to choose from?

My minimum title length is set to 120 seconds, which is the default, I guess. :)

The "Incredibles 2" isn't the best example of the issues that I've faced in the past, as many movies have multiple Titles with varying time length and size, which makes it very difficult for me to know which to choose. :cry:
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Ahhh....looks like Apple has finally made changes to DVD Player in Mojave.
Having a homemade Mac (Hackintosh) I purposely stay about a year behind in updating the OS.

Here's what I was referring to:

I don't have Incredibles 2 in DVD so I just threw in a multi episode original Twilight Zone to help explain what I was referring to in my previous post.

This disc has 16 titles and once play begins I click on TITLE and it shows me that the episode playing is TITlE 15.

Same disc in MakeMKV.....
Look at the Source Title ID under Title Information

15 8)

With the exception of Lionsgate releases (some exceptions) this should work for you.
Registered User :wink:
Buy MakeMKV
Kappabear

Post by Kappabear »

Wow! It all makes sense now. This is awesome! Thank you so much! :D