samadams

Re: UHD support

Post by samadams »

d00zah wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:33 pm
samadams wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:38 pm
Hi absolutely noob here.
I watched one of the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owhuBrGIOsE to see how to rip UHD. And I got couple of question.
1: Before I start ripping where should I put Hashed key TXT file ? Also for particular movie that text key file with so many movies will work or I will need individual key in that folder in order to read disk.
Answered in the post immediately above yours. As of v1.12.3, the key will be automatically retrieved IF available & internet access is allowed (although there are some known issues viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17872).
samadams wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:38 pm
2 : after 1 month trial will this program totally shutdown for UHD? Can I participate in beta now or its too late.
Use the beta key linked in my sig (or purchase a license to avoid the x-day gap waiting for the bi-monthly replacement).
was 1.12.2 had a auto retrieval key from text file and with internet ?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Hashed key (manually downloaded file) was introduced in v1.10.8. See note re: "All versions before 1.12.0..."

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16959#p59411

Auto hashed key retrieval was added in v1.12.3. However, that version had its issues. Manually downloaded file is still supported. Links provided in my last post... so you could understand the history.

Suggested reading: UHD FAQ
Gogeta

Post by Gogeta »

BravenHearth Europen DiSC i send aacs.
platinumjsi

Post by platinumjsi »

n00b question, I have been reading this thread and not sure about one thing, it looks like most discs can be ripped to an MKV container, it looks like however, this does not remove any copy protection, is that right?, if so does this just make it a backup I can't use or if I play it back through Plex on my Xbox One X will it still play as the Xbox and TV are compliant?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If the hash key is available for a disk, you can rip to un-encrypted MKV files.

Whether or not you can PLAY them depends on your player's capability to decode h.265 video at the bit rate in the file...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
platinumjsi

Post by platinumjsi »

Ah right, the devices I would play them on are fine I think?

Kaby Lake Macbook pro
PC with Titan XP graphics
Xbox One X

All should be able to playback right?
KYThrill

Post by KYThrill »

I really need some help ripping UHD!!! Using MakeMKV 1.14.1 x64.

I have two drives in my PC that are supposed to be friendly; BC-12B1ST and WH16NS40. Both are running firmware 1.00 of their respective brands.

But my MakeMKV doesn't seem to be responding as I think it should. I have copied the keys_hashed.txt file to the .MakeMKV folder specified in the preferences.

My 1st problem is with updates to this file. I have allow contacting web server for updates, but I am not seeing any signs of the file ever being updated. The file date and size doesn't seem to change, ever. I insalled 1.14.1 on 11/24, should I not have seen some update pushed by now?

My second problem is I have not been able to read my test disc for this, which is John Wick UHD. There are many John Wick keys in the file, but after scanning, I always get "no disc". The same occurs in both drives.

So I thought this was no big deal, I just had another disc, that the key isn't in the file. I can just send a dump and get a key made. But now I run into my next problem. MakeMkv doesn't appear to be creating any dump files. There is no AACS file, or any file that would constitute a dump file. I thought dump files were supposed to be generated automatically.

Why would MakeMKV not be creating dump files?

I am wondering if it is something in the drives. Could firmware 1.00 be too old? Everyplace says don't update them, but do they need to be running something newer? The reason I ask is that I also have a ripper license for Blu-ray on DVDFab (it was a lifetime license from long ago). I unlocked a trial of their UHD ripper, and when I try to use it, it asks me to point to the drive. When I point to either of these drives, it says "no disc" and opens the drive tray to insert a disc. Windows 10 can't detect anything being in the drives either. It thinks the trays are empty.

Should windows be able to see something, or view the disc file structure? Is there some windows drive I need to update? Device manager says a driver dated 2006 is being used on these drives.

Thanks!
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

KYThrill wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:12 am

I have two drives in my PC that are supposed to be friendly; BC-12B1ST and WH16NS40. Both are running firmware 1.00 of their respective brands.
READ this regarding the 12B1ST drive. It is NOT a supported drive.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1ST#p65723

As for WH16NS40, does it clearly have Service Code NS50 listed on the tag on the drive itself? This is a requirement for this drive. No if's or but’s about it.
KYThrill wrote:

But my MakeMKV doesn't seem to be responding as I think it should. I have copied the keys_hashed.txt file to the .MakeMKV folder specified in the preferences.

My 1st problem is with updates to this file. I have allow contacting web server for updates, but I am not seeing any signs of the file ever being updated. The file date and size doesn't seem to change, ever. I insalled 1.14.1 on 11/24, should I not have seen some update pushed by now?
This does not work how you think. The automated hash key process does NOT update the manually downloaded file you are referring to. No one ever said that is the file that gets updated. The keys from the automated process are stored in a seperate place.
KYThrill wrote:

You answered that question yourself. You said the drives report “no disc”. MakeMKV cannot create a dump from a disc it does NOT see, can’t detect, or can’t read. That simple.
KYThrill wrote:

I am wondering if it is something in the drives. Could firmware 1.00 be too old? Everyplace says don't update them, but do they need to be running something newer? The reason I ask is that I also have a ripper license for Blu-ray on DVDFab (it was a lifetime license from long ago). I unlocked a trial of their UHD ripper, and when I try to use it, it asks me to point to the drive. When I point to either of these drives, it says "no disc" and opens the drive tray to insert a disc. Windows 10 can't detect anything being in the drives either. It thinks the trays are empty.

Should windows be able to see something, or view the disc file structure? Is there some windows drive I need to update? Device manager says a driver dated 2006 is being used on these drives.

Thanks!
DVDFab and Windows will run into the same exact problem if your drive is NOT supported for UHD decrypting. Windows drivers have nothing to do with this.

There are VERY specific requirements that need to be met by Friendly drives to work. Read this:

https://www.myce.com/news/the-ultimate- ... ive-83254/

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... S40#p65600

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... S40#p65600

If your drive does NOT meet ALL of the requirements, then it will not work in any way for UHD decryption. If the drive is too old and manufactured prior to the required date, it will not work.

Bottom line:

The drive meets ALL requirements and works.

The drive does not meet all requirements and you need to purchase a new one that meets them for UHD support.

Based on the info you have provided thus far it appears to be the latter.
Last edited by st4evr on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Sir please email me:

alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com

You have the right idea with your drive choices.

WH16NS40 with a service code of NS50 and firmware 1.0 should at least be recognized for what drive it is.

My guess is the service code says NS40 or ROHS where the svc code should be. I’m also thinking the drive has a manufactured date that is pre 2015 and in that case yeah no dice for that drive.

The ASUS BC-12B1ST should be ok for “crossflashing” to the BW-16D1HT firmware if it was built in 2015 or later. In this case it’s probably older.

All is not lost however. We are all here to help. My kind of help also includes setting you up with a new drive or two that are guaranteed to work with with MakeMKV and any other program that relies on the existence of the AACS 2.0 “loophole”.
KYThrill wrote:

My second problem is I have not been able to read my test disc for this, which is John Wick UHD. There are many John Wick keys in the file, but after scanning, I always get "no disc". The same occurs in both drives.

So I thought this was no big deal, I just had another disc, that the key isn't in the file. I can just send a dump and get a key made. But now I run into my next problem. MakeMkv doesn't appear to be creating any dump files. There is no AACS file, or any file that would constitute a dump file. I thought dump files were supposed to be generated automatically.

Thanks!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
JayPy

Post by JayPy »

Hey Mike,

I have sent in several German AACS Keys of UHDs (like SICARIO 2, NO WAY OUT, DEADPOOL 2) - the keys_hashed.txt was updated twice since then, but I can't still open the UHDs.

Tried it on an iMac - if that is important. Any tips?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

JayPy wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:59 pm
Hey Mike,

I have sent in several German AACS Keys of UHDs (like SICARIO 2, NO WAY OUT, DEADPOOL 2) - the keys_hashed.txt was updated twice since then, but I can't still open the UHDs.

Tried it on an iMac - if that is important. Any tips?
Read these:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=18493

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=18360

As they may apply to you as well and may be helpful information to you.
JayPy

Post by JayPy »

@st4evr

Thanx for the information. I've sent in another e-mail to the support-adress with more informations of my system ;)
corruption

Post by corruption »

st4evr wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:55 am
READ this regarding the 12B1ST drive. It is NOT a supported drive.

There are VERY specific requirements that need to be met by Friendly drives to work. Read this:

If your drive does NOT meet ALL of the requirements, then it will not work in any way for UHD decryption. If the drive is too old and manufactured prior to the required date, it will not work.

Bottom line:

The drive meets ALL requirements and works.

The drive does not meet all requirements and you need to purchase a new one that meets them for UHD support.

Based on the info you have provided thus far it appears to be the latter.
I must be rocking some kind of unicorn, because I've ripped 21 of my UHDs successfully with an Asus BC-12B1ST. Have run into a problem where I can't do disc level backups, yet the drive will pull titles just fine.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 12&t=18613

Any ideas? Should I take this thing apart to share with the world? Everyone seems pretty militant that this drive will NEVER work, yet I've shown that it can. It seems like it's "all or nothing" for UHD support so the fact my drive works is confusing. If it can pull titles, shouldn't it be able to do disc backups?
corruption

Post by corruption »

jonghotti wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:49 am

The ASUS BC-12B1ST should be ok for “crossflashing” to the BW-16D1HT firmware if it was built in 2015 or later. In this case it’s probably older.
We go by the sticker on the top of the drive to discover manufacturing date? I've got a ASUS BC-12B1ST with 2017 02 28 printed on it, and a visible date on the circuit board of 2015.05.08.

Am I a candidate for a cross-flash? Any links you can throw my way to expand upon this? Thanks!
studlygoorite

Re: UHD HDR vs SDR support

Post by studlygoorite »

Hi there, I would like to back up my UHD collection but have a question. My projector is an Epson LS10000 that cannot do HDR but 4k looks amazing. I assume my UHD player plays the SDR version in this case, if I rip with MakeMKV will I run into any issues? I have read that some people have washed out video because it plays an HDR version on a SDR display.

John