MKV and Plex

Everything related to MakeMKV
tooheycohen

MKV and Plex

Post by tooheycohen »

I have been using makemkv and plex for at least a year, with no problems. About 3 months ago, I made an MKV file for Captain America and since then, every MKV file I make uses the Captain America data as its own in Plex. For example, the title, year, description, picture are all for Captain America, even though if you play the MKV file in Plex, it will be the correct movie. There must be a cache somewhere in MakeMKV that I need to clear, or change a setting. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
SamuriHL

Re: MKV and Plex

Post by SamuriHL »

This gets to be a complicated topic believe it or not. If you look at the header of the MKV's you're ripping with something like mkvtoolnix, there's a title in there. It's POSSIBLE that they're all using the same title like "title01" or something similar. If so, Plex gets confused. You can force plex to retag them by using the "fix match" option on each one. I can't remember if MakeMKV allows you to set the MKV header title to the name of the movie or not in the options but that should also be possible.
tooheycohen

Post by tooheycohen »

Thank you! The "fix match" option in Plex is helping with the posters and tags. I opened MakeMKV and clicked "clear log" so I'll see what happens with the next dvd I copy.
:)
:D
Loominal

Post by Loominal »

tooheycohen wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:53 pm
Thank you! The "fix match" option in Plex is helping with the posters and tags. I opened MakeMKV and clicked "clear log" so I'll see what happens with the next dvd I copy.
:)
:D
Any update if that fixed it? Clearing the log?
tooheycohen

Post by tooheycohen »

Clearing the log had no effect at all. I still have to fix each movie individually. :(
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Did you get a chance to open one of them up with MKVToolnix and see what the header information looks like? Specifically the title field I believe.
tooheycohen

Post by tooheycohen »

Thanks for reminding me! I'm not familiar with MKVToolNix but will look into it this weekend.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It shouldn't be too hard given that you're just opening one and looking at the header info. But that should give you an idea of what's happening.
T'hain Esh Kelch

Post by T'hain Esh Kelch »

Are you following Plexs file and folder naming guidelines for adding media to the server? Because this should be a non-issue.

I use MakeMKV and MKVTool*nix extensively, and have never encountered this issue.
TheTerrorBeyond

Post by TheTerrorBeyond »

You might give FileBot a try... you can do some great things with it.
Media Server: i7-6800k (6-core processor), 32GB RAM, MSI Carbon Pro board, SAS RAID, liquid cooling, NVIDIA 1080SC, (6) 10TB Barracuda Pro, (4)8TB Barracuda Pro, (1) 6TB Barracuda, (1) 4TB Barracuda, (1) Toshiba 512GB SSD, (1) Intel 256GB Intel M.2 SSD.