Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
demon

Re: Heads up - Support for LG UHD drives

Post by demon »

unknownLake wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:14 pm
I apologize for my ignorance but will computers with CPUs earlier than Kabylake be able to rip UHD discs with MakeMKV?
- Thanks

The LG site says the WH16NS60 system requirements are Intel 7th Gen. Kabylake Core i3 or higher.

https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-WH16NS60
If you were playing them "properly", then yes. I'm ripping discs on my Lenovo ThinkPad X220 (SandyBridge Core i5-2540M CPU) right now, so I can verify that you don't need a Kaby Lake CPU for this.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jonghotti wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:40 pm
Had a stack of 8 slims to go through today, 1 BU50N firmware BW50, 5 BU40Ns firmware 1.02, 1 BU40N firmware 1.01, 1 BU40N firmware 1.00. So both 1.00 and 1.01 are friendly and released in 2016 and 2017 respectively with 1.02 the cock-blocker appearing in 2018.

We got any electrical engineers around here? I need some help figuring out where and which pins to solder a SATA data connector onto on an LG BP60NB10 which is USB out only in order to dump it's firmware. Happy to send you one if schematics are not to be found online.
what i would try first is to get the dump makemkv apparently makes idk what you will do with it but maybe since its usb only lg never thought they would need that same flash protection they have in the 1.01 1.03 and 3.03 fws
mike admin wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:55 am
I want your firmware!!!!
Please navigate to MakeMKV data directory (location can be looked up in preferences). Inside you will find one or more files named dump_SD_xxxxx.tgz . Please send them all to support@makemkv.com . Thanks!
so just delete all your dump_SD_xxxxx.tgzs open makemkv with only that drive connected and i guess just wait idk what triggers makemkv to make the dump maybe mike will tell us or yell at us. :lol:
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:53 am
what i would try first is to get the dump makemkv apparently makes idk what you will do with it but maybe since its usb only lg never thought they would need that same flash protection they have in the 1.01 1.03 and 3.03 fws
mike admin wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:55 am
I want your firmware!!!!
Please navigate to MakeMKV data directory (location can be looked up in preferences). Inside you will find one or more files named dump_SD_xxxxx.tgz . Please send them all to support@makemkv.com . Thanks!
so just delete all your dump_SD_xxxxx.tgzs open makemkv with only that drive connected and i guess just wait idk what triggers makemkv to make the dump maybe mike will tell us or yell at us. :lol:
Now that right there is a "crackin'" idea. I will actually get right on that. Cheers Billy.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

Hi All
I need a little help in understanding this thread.
After reading this and other threads I have ordered a LG WH14NS40 originally and after reading more I see a lot about this drive an LG WH16NS60 as being UHD capable and either is or will be supported.

OK, I realize the first drive need a firmware downgrade but this thread seems to imply that the WH16NS60 will work without a mod, is that True?

So far I like the WH16NS60 since it doesn't have the sleep bug and has UHD disc support out of the box.

Does makemkv work now or sometime latter? If latter anyone have timeline.

Thanks
Rew
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Mike has stated that it will be supported soon. It is on firmware 1.00 already but he said support for 1.01 is coming. No time frame given as to when that will happen.
Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

OK, Thanks just was not sure with the way the thread read.

Rew
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No problem. Here's the relevant post if you're looking for it:

viewtopic.php?p=70111#p70111
Polar Hacker

Post by Polar Hacker »

Hi there! I'm interested in converting HD and UHD Blu-ray discs, but I am torn as to which drive to get. This post recommends to buy a native UHD Drive, not a friendly one. Is there much of a difference besides the sleep bug? Also, it doesn't work on the latest firmware. Is it possible to downgrade, and when will it support the latest firmwares? Lastly, I'm on a bit of a budget, so if someone could recommend a relatively affordable drive I'd be most appreciative. Thanks! :)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is what we were working on for a while - viewforum.php?f=19 . If you have any issues with LibreDrive mode, please discuss it in appropriate sub-forum. Thanks!
XrayDoc88

Post by XrayDoc88 »

Just for my education can someone explain to me what is the "sleep bug"? It is continually mentioned in various posts, but when I search the forums I cannot find a description. I currently rip UHD discs usually an ASUS friendly drive. Am I just not recognizing this bug? Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The "sleep bug" is where the drive stops responding because it has gone into a sleep mode, usually because you stopped sending commands to it while selecting what to rip.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

XrayDoc88 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:21 pm
Just for my education can someone explain to me what is the "sleep bug"? It is continually mentioned in various posts, but when I search the forums I cannot find a description. I currently rip UHD discs usually an ASUS friendly drive. Am I just not recognizing this bug? Thanks!
When you put a uhd disk in a non native uhd drive after 2 mins of inactivity the drive will go to sleep and not wake up with a uhd disk inside and make a horrible seeking noise it is easily fixed by ejecting the disk and then closing the drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

A minor annoyance at best and certainly not a reason to pick one drive over another. Two minutes is a long time when you're just clicking check boxes come on.

What's that? Oh yeah, Julia agrees with me, total non issue!
reflex

Post by reflex »

Hey all, having an issue and I haven't found an answer after trying for the past week. I have the following drive -

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: hp HLDS
Product: BDRE BU50N
Revision: BW50
Serial number: KDDG96G1422
Firmware date: 2116-08-10 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 61

Any UHD disc I attempt to rip fails. For example:

Disc Information
Label: WATCHMEN
Timestamp: 2016-05-27 10:57:51
Data capacity: 85.9 Gb
Disc type: BD-ROM UHD
Number of layers: 3
Bus encryption flags: 80

Returns the following error:

MakeMKV v1.14.2 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Saved SD dump file as C:\Users\dflee/.MakeMKV/UHD/dump_SD_05A611E4F940A89B7924.tgz
Please send the file "C:\Users\dflee/.MakeMKV/UHD/dump_SD_05A611E4F940A89B7924.tgz" to support@makemkv.com
Downloading latest SDF to C:\Users\dflee/.MakeMKV/UHD ...
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT PRESENT' occurred while issuing SCSI command A30..0020..03F to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
<insert a bunch more lines of this>
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE - KEY NOT ESTABLISHED' occurred while issuing SCSI command AD010..080002400 to device 'SPTI:\Device\CdRom0'
Can't read AACS VID from disc - most likely current AACS host certificate is revoked by your drive
Downloading latest HK to C:\Users\dflee/.MakeMKV/UHD ...
Saved AACS dump file as C:\Users\dflee/.MakeMKV/UHD/MKB20_v61_Watchmen-_Ultimate_Cut_EE7F.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc

I am unclear what is going wrong here. The error states the host cert is revoked, but I'm not sure how that could have happened. I bought this drive in December once I heard official support was coming and it hasn't been used for anything else.

Is the firmware unsupported? Do I need to wait for a new version of MakeMKV with a higher rev cert as some threads imply? I have placed keys_hashed.txt in the defined data directory for MakeMKV and it is putting dumps in the same directory so I assume its in the right place. I have about 10 UHD's, all do the same even ones with older AACS versions like Mad Max.

Thanks for any assistance, it is appreciated.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Yes it needs to be flashed with BU40N 1.00 which I am happy to send you. Alternatively I'll swap you a BU50N with supported firmware for yours.