Unrestricted Read Speed: Possible, Not Yet Enabled

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
FredK

Unrestricted Read Speed: Possible, Not Yet Enabled

Post by FredK »

I found the subject message in some screenshots as a LibreDrive parameter. What does it mean? How to enable it?

My first guess was that the old MediaCodeSpeedEdit (http://ala42.cdfreaks.com/MCSE/) could be able to patch the firmware such that the read speed will be increased ("riplock" protection).
mike admin

Re: Unrestricted Read Speed: Possible, Not Yet Enabled

Post by mike admin »

There could be several per-firmware features (or entire firmware itself) labeled "Possible, not yet enabled". This means that the feature is not yet coded - the LibreDrive code is missing (not yet written) for this particular firmware, but it is known how to do it and it is going to be done. You have to do nothing on your part - one day you wake up, get a new SDF, and riplock will be gone from your drive.

"Unrestricted Read Speed" refers to a riplock - the drive artificially slows itself down if it sees certain files on disc. This is different from media speed table.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

SWEET! That's awesome!
FredK

Post by FredK »

@mike admin:
Thank you for the explanation and the pleasant perspective to get rid of riplock sooner or later.
RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

I just noticed this when I opened MakeMKV and was curious myself what it meant. Just out of a curiosity, how long of a wait are we likely waiting to have this enabled? I'm assuming that this will allow for much faster ripping? I was looking at the specs for my Blu-Ray drive and under read speeds, it shows it being "6x CAV".

I just noticed though, that my last rip was at 4.5x or 19.5 MB/s. I looked up the speed for 6x and it appears to be about 25.72 MB/s. In the grand scheme of things, that isn't that much faster. My last rip was 26,040.4 MB, and it took about 22.5 minutes to rip. At 6x, theoretically, it would take about 17 minutes, a savings of about 5.5 minutes.
melvinhpurvis

Post by melvinhpurvis »

Is there a list or post that contains examples of current production drives where the answer is:
Unrestricted Read Speed: Yes
It would help my buying choices.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

melvinhpurvis wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 pm
Is there a list or post that contains examples of current production drives where the answer is:
Unrestricted Read Speed: Yes
It would help my buying choices.
One day, hopefully sooner then later, an update will be pushed that will turn this option on for any LibreDrive compatible drive. This is a beauty of uploading runtime in drive memory - you can always make it better. Any compatible drive will get this option.
rui-no-onna

Post by rui-no-onna »

mike admin wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:29 pm
"Unrestricted Read Speed" refers to a riplock - the drive artificially slows itself down if it sees certain files on disc. This is different from media speed table.
If my rips max out at ~7-8x with ~5.5x average, does that mean there's no riplock so having this feature enabled wouldn't really speed up the rips? Thanks!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Riplock usually limits you to 2x or so, because the "official" reason is to keep the drive quiet while playing back video.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
FredK

Post by FredK »

My experience with optical drives in the past: If the Firmware detects an Audio-CD or a Video-DVD has to be read, the read speed is reduced to about 2x which ist sufficient for "normal" operation but makes ripping cumbersome. For such drives I used MediaCodeSpeedEdit to patch the Firmware.
ESPNY

Post by ESPNY »

Any updates on when this will be unlocked?
Maxpower

Post by Maxpower »

Mike. Awesome. The new unlimited speed option is killer. Thank you. Easily halved my rip times.

Really stunned and worth the wait. Wow.
Puppy1980

Post by Puppy1980 »

Same here. I hit 11.7 on my flashed firmware with about 50 M/s. Cut me down from 30 mins to 13 mins. First disk on my old USB 2.0 was around 50 mins :roll:

One thing I noticed was I think it got a bit too fast because I noticed it dropped down to a "Safe Speed" mode for a bit near the end. :o
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

Puppy1980 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:32 am
One thing I noticed was I think it got a bit too fast because I noticed it dropped down to a "Safe Speed" mode for a bit near the end. :o
That will happen at the layer switch to prevent errors/failures of the rip. Totally normal and expected.