5.1 Audio from BluRay

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Noteworthy

5.1 Audio from BluRay

Post by Noteworthy »

Am a newbie, so please bear with me.

As I write this, I am using MakeMKV to back up my BluRay disc.
I have checked only the biggest video file (38gb) and the English audio. (Have excluded subtitles and other languages)

How do I go about 1) extracting the audio, then 2) splitting the soundtrack into separate tracks and 3) saving it to a format that I can stream to my home theatre system using JRiver.

Would be grateful to hear from the experts!
Woodstock

Re: 5.1 Audio from BluRay

Post by Woodstock »

By "backup", do you mean MakeMKV's backup button, or are you using the Open/Save as MKV method?

If you're saving as MKV, you can extract tracks from the MKV using part of the mkvtoolnix group of programs (search engines can find the official download site). Each audio track is separate within the MKV file.

It is likely that your theater amp can deal with the tracks with no additional changes, but there are other tools that can move between the various audio codecs.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Noteworthy

Post by Noteworthy »

Many thanks.
I used the open/save as MKV method.

I installed mkvtoolnix but from the gui cannot fins a way to extract separate tracks. I get the entire soundtrack as a .mka file.

The help file of the mkvtoolnix application shows the need for scripts.
Am I doing something incorrect?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Noteworthy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:46 pm
I installed mkvtoolnix but from the gui cannot fins a way to extract separate tracks.
Could you please explain what do you mean with "separate" tracks? Split the file at chapter boundary? MakeToolNIX can do this with over the Output selction by using the "Split Mode", spilt by time, Chapter and may more things.
Good Luck :)

Post by morbius »

Here is an easy workflow for beginners.

Create the mkv file for the title as usual. Drop the mkv file into MKVToolNix (it supports drag and drop of files). On the Output tab set the split mode to "Before chapters" and type "all" in the Chapter numbers field. On the input tab if I am only interested in retaining the audio I keep just the audio and chapter points then MKVToolNix will create one .mka file for each chapter.

You could then drag these mka files on to gMKVExtractGUI and it can dump the audio into multi-channel wav files, one per chapter. You could convert and tag using utilities of your choice. Alternatively, I think you can use ffmpeg directly, but there is more hassle there to get the syntax right. I find gui tools easier for getting the job done but I have some ffmpeg scripts around.
Noteworthy

Post by Noteworthy »

Thank you for your advice.
My apologies for this delayed acknowledgement.

Moribus, I did what you suggested and successfully created an .mka file for each chapter. :D
Many thanks.

The difficulty is that the audio (the BluRay is a musical) ending at each chapter is brutally cut on the fade out. :(
Any suggestions based upon your experience would be appreciated.

Best regards
craig_a4

Post by craig_a4 »

Noteworthy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:09 pm
Am a newbie, so please bear with me.

As I write this, I am using MakeMKV to back up my BluRay disc.
I have checked only the biggest video file (38gb) and the English audio. (Have excluded subtitles and other languages)

How do I go about 1) extracting the audio, then 2) splitting the soundtrack into separate tracks and 3) saving it to a format that I can stream to my home theatre system using JRiver.

Would be grateful to hear from the experts!
You'll have to excuse my inexperience with this as I've only just start ripping my Blu Rays myself. Doesn't the resulting MKV package include the 5.1 HD audio? When streamed straight to the amp, what does it output in terms of audio?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

If you select the "HD Version", the HD track is included in the created MKV file. MakeMKV gives you the option to select only the Core and/or the HD version.

Post by craig_a4 »

I may have overlooked this. Is the HD version selected by default or is it something you need to actively seek out to ensure each rip has the uncompressed audio?
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

It depends of what is set as in the default selection rules. Start here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4386

Goto "View->Preferences->Advanced-> "Default selection rule"

Post by tearsinrain »

Use Joyoshare Audio Recorder.
It will extract the audio track from the video, trim or split the tracks and save it to MP3 (which is compatible with JRiver) or other 15 formats.