NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
MartyMcNuts

NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Post by MartyMcNuts »

****** UPDATE: Please use the more recent SDFtool Flasher, available in thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22896. No need for the hybrid firmware anymore either. Cheers! ******

Hi everyone,

Just to give you all another option, I have modified the official ASUS ODD FW Flasher tool to allow the user to flash or cross-flash their drive to a "UHD Friendly" firmware.

Included with the ASUS Flasher, is the 'DE' UHD friendly firmwares we are currently using with the LG Flasher tool.

Also, if you happen to use your own clean firmware file that hasn't been 'DE' enabled, this app will automatically make the file 'DE' enabled and save it.

It is very easy to use:

1. Run ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).exe.
2. In popup window, select a firmware file to flash. (If you click CANCEL, the auto default firmware is ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02)
3. When the main interface opens, select your drive (if not already selected)
4. Hit "START" button. The drive tray will open. Once firmware flash is completed, drive tray will close again.
5. Done.

EDIT (24.08.2019): I have updated the Modified ASUS Flasher which will now allow:
  • The LG BP60NB10 external UHD drive to be flashed with firmware LG_BP60NB10_1.00_MK only.
  • The LG BP50NB40 external Blu-Ray drive to be flashed with firmware LG_BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK only. (Not UHD friendly but enables libredrive.)

EDIT (03.09.2019):
I have created 2 modified (hybrid = HBD) firmwares solely for the BP50NB40. Firmware BP60NB10_1.00_MK_HBD will allow you to flash your BP50NB40 to BP60NB10. Firmware BP50NB40-NB50_1.01_MK_HBD will allow you to go back to BP50NB40_1.01_MK if you ever require it. The firmware zip is below.

EDIT (01.01.2020):
Depending on what firmware your BP50NB40 comes with (1.01, 1.02 or 1.03), please flash the corresponding firmware BP50NB40 NB50 1.xx_MK from the MK pack first, then you can cross-flash using the hybrid BP60NB10 1.00 firmware.

Hybrid_Firmware_for_BP50NB40_to_BP60NB10.zip
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 19990 times

EDIT (22.05.2020):
Below is the link to the modified ASUS FW Flasher + Downgrade Enabled Firmware + the latest MK firmware pack (20/07/2020):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mezq26ac ... 9.zip/file

Here is just the modified ASUS Flasher if you don't need the firmwares. Just put it in the folder with the firmwares.

ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified) (24.08.2019).zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 21062 times

Have fun guys!!
Last edited by MartyMcNuts on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:16 am, edited 22 times in total.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Just made a couple of minor code adjustments. Links have been updated.

It works good for me! Please add a comment to let me know how it works for you or if you have any issues with it.

Thanks guys..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
salteran

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by salteran »

Just wanted to say. Used It yesterday on my BH16NS55 and it worked perfectly

Thanks so much!!!
manHands

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by manHands »

If I understand correctly, I could use this to cross-flash the WH16NS60 (that is currently on UHD friendly 1.00) to BW-16D1HT UHD friendly firmware? I've heard the 16D1HT firmware works better for this drive, so thought I'd give it a whirl.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@manHands,

Yes, you can.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

salteran wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 am
Just wanted to say. Used It yesterday on my BH16NS55 and it worked perfectly

Thanks so much!!!
You're welcome!
DAlba

Post by DAlba »

Interface not opening for me. I am running Windows XP. Do you know if it's compatible?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

DAlba wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:16 pm
Interface not opening for me. I am running Windows XP. Do you know if it's compatible?
It requires .net 3.5 or higher, which is windows 7 and up. You could download a newer version of .net from Microsoft. Geez, it’s rare to find someone still using xp these days!
DAlba

Post by DAlba »

lol I know. I use a Mac. XP was just on a virtual machine I used many years ago. I setup Windows 8 on virtual machine and it loads now but didn’t work. I’m going to have to try a different usb enclosure I guess. Right now I’m using an OWC Mercury enclosure that’s several years old.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

DAlba wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:53 am
lol I know. I use a Mac. XP was just on a virtual machine I used many years ago. I setup Windows 8 on virtual machine and it loads now but didn’t work. I’m going to have to try a different usb enclosure I guess. Right now I’m using an OWC Mercury enclosure that’s several years old.
see if you can fully pass the usb controller to the vm then it should work others have reported success like that see here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18873&start=30#p70355
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
DAlba

Post by DAlba »

Boom! Plugged into thunderbolt hub instead of USB ports on Mac and it worked. Thanks for the tip!

Now I just need a UHD disc! And a 4K tv lol.
jas12

Post by jas12 »

Can I use this to downgrade a WH16NS40 so that it will work with UHD disc's?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jas12 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:45 pm
Can I use this to downgrade a WH16NS40 so that it will work with UHD disc's?
Yes
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
joneskwa

Post by joneskwa »

manHands wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 am
If I understand correctly, I could use this to cross-flash the WH16NS60 (that is currently on UHD friendly 1.00) to BW-16D1HT UHD friendly firmware? I've heard the 16D1HT firmware works better for this drive, so thought I'd give it a whirl.
I’m new to all this but just bought a WH16NS60 w/ v 1.01

I tried to use Billycar11’s loader and ended up with an error message and my drive rip-locked trying load 1.00.

Used this method load BW-16D1HT and it worked perfect!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

joneskwa wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:47 am
manHands wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 am
I’m new to all this but just bought a WH16NS60 w/ v 1.01

I tried to use Billycar11’s loader and ended up with an error message and my drive rip-locked trying load 1.00.

Used this method load BW-16D1HT and it worked perfect!
Glad it worked for you. Although, I'd suggest you use this same method to flash WH16NS60 1.00 or WH16NS40(NS50) 1.02.

The reasons I am suggesting either of these are:

1. The WH16NS60 1.00 is compatible with UHD discs and MakeMKV. It reads fast and there is no sleep bug.
2. The WH16NS40(NS50) 1.02 is also reasonably fast and is UHD friendly for MakeMKV and AnyDVD.

Apparently, there are writing (burning) issues when a WH16NS60 is cross-flashed to ASUS firmware. If you want to be able to burn BD's using your WH16NS60 then you really should stick with LG firmware. If you don't want to burn any media on your WH16NS60, then you can ignore this.

I just wanted you to know. This way you can make an informed decision.

Cheers!